Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In several cities, the government is going ahead with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 13:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
In several cities, the government is going ahead with ambitious construction projects despite the high office-vacancy rates in those cities. The vacant offices, though available for leasing, unfortunately do not meet the requirements for the facilities needed, such as court houses and laboratories. The government, therefore, is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
(A) Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government’s requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction.
(B) The government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost-effective.
(C) If facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the government’s requirements for facilities the government needs, the government can relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance.
(D) The government’s construction projects would not, on being completed, add to the stock of facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.
(E) Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are more cost-
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 13:50
Definitely (A)

If adjustments are made to make the existing facilities suitable for courts and other government offices then government need not go ahead with new construction provided the adjustment costs are lower than those required for new constructions.
Only then we can say that the government is not @fault.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 17:06
agree with (A)

Thanks anandnk for explaining.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 20:49
Though I agree with A. I have a question, I guess no one will be able to answer it but anyway :

the conclusion is :
The government, therefore, is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.

will the government be guilty of any fiscal wastefulness if D was not assumed ?
I think so... if D is not assumed at the first place, then we cant consider A yet.
some may respond that it is the government which built therefore they will follow the government rules. Ok. But D does not assume that government will not follow their rules. Besides, nothing is specified that the Demand for leasing is there. As such, D could be assumed too.

ISNT IT? :?:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 21:28
The author concludes that since the office spaces are going to be used for some other facilities that are not currently catered for, therefore the government is not guilty of waste.
This is based on the assumption that the offices can be rented out. If they are going to white elephants, then they are guilty of wastage. (D) seesm to be appropriate.

(A) is close, but our question to the conclusion is "Is the government wasting money by building new offices?"
In (A), adaptation was suggested as an option to building new offices, but this was never touched on in the passage.

I'll stick with (D)
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 23:39
OA is A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 10:30
IMO "A" can't be the answer.

in the stem only "vacant office spaces are mentioned". no-where is it mentioned that the govt holds the ownership of those office spaces.

then how can one/author assume that the govt will renovate the office spaces to meet the new standards. the question of cost effectiveness comes later.
in that way "D"is the best answere.

If the stem mentioned that it is the govt that owns the vacant office spaces ,then only "A" could be assumed along side"D".

please clear this doubt.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 11:57
dipaksingh wrote:
IMO "A" can't be the answer.

in the stem only "vacant office spaces are mentioned". no-where is it mentioned that the govt holds the ownership of those office spaces.

then how can one/author assume that the govt will renovate the office spaces to meet the new standards. the question of cost effectiveness comes later.
in that way "D"is the best answere.

If the stem mentioned that it is the govt that owns the vacant office spaces ,then only "A" could be assumed along side"D".

please clear this doubt.

I chose D initially without considering much of A, because i simply thought D was obviously an assumption. But had i read b/w the lines, i'll have chosen A over D. Reason (quite simple):

Since the stem said '...fiscal wastefullness', i should have searched for a choice b/w A and D that talked about finance or money b/c that is what 'fiscal' means. Choice A does, and so it will have won. i believe A is the BEST answer, though rightfully, D is an assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 12:21
Wow I'm stuck between A and D....on the test I would choose D because by utilizing the denial test D seems to me a better answer than A.

If you deny the statement in D and say that the new construction projects will add to the stock of vacant building then the government is being wastful by putting up the same type of buildings.

If you deny A then you say that it less cost effective to construct new buildings than to remodel the vacant buildings.

So really they're both good...wow I just confused myself! :?

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 12:28
Oh ok Arsene see your point...A is right.

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

[#permalink] 16 Feb 2005, 12:28