Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Dec 2014, 14:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In several cities, the government is going ahead with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 21

In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:33) correct 39% (01:57) wrong based on 246 sessions
In several cities, the government is going ahead with ambitious construction projects despite the high office-vacancy rates in those cities. The vacant offices, though available for leasing, unfortunately do not meet the requirement for the facilities needed, such as court houses and laboratories. The government, therefore, is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A) Adaption of vacant office space to meet the government's requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost effective alternative to new construction.

B) the government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost-effective

C) If facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the government's requirements for facilities the government needs, the government can relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance.

D) The government's construction projects would not, on being completed, add to the stock of the facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.

E) before embarking on any construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are more cost effective.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by jgomey on 23 Jan 2013, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [3] , given: 21

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 16:46
This post received
KUDOS
shaileshmishra wrote:
carcass wrote:
A is the only make sense as assumption

the other choices do not hold any water

A) Adaption of vacant office space to meet the governments requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such space a more cost effective alternative to new construction.

B) the government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost effective

C) I f facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the governments requirements for facilities the government needs, the government relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance.

D) the government's construction projects would not, on being completed, add to the stock of the facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.

E) before embarking on any construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are more cost effective.

for the reason in A the gov spend more money but is not guilty

can yu please explain y option D is wrong.

I found it easier to answer this question by thinking about it this way:

The government has two choices-lease the space and then retrofit it, or create a whole new construction. In order for the new construction to make sense from a "fiscal" standpoint, the new construction would have to be less expensive than retrofitting the existing buildings would be.

So if you consider those choices, how then is answer "D" relevant? "D" is out of scope..

What are your thoughts Carcass?
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 2903 [3] , given: 709

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PS

if you think "I failed miserably on that question" you will never achive your goal. Because you start from the assumption that "you know"

Instead try to understand and learn from each question, each suggestion, each nuance of a question (both math and verbal)

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2903 [1] , given: 709

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 15:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

A) Adaption of vacant office space to meet the governments requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such space a more cost effective alternative to new construction.

B) the government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost effective

C) I f facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the governments requirements for facilities the government needs, the government relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance.

D) the government's construction projects would not, on being completed, add to the stock of the facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2903 [1] , given: 709

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Basically the question says this: we need facilities that serve as offices and at the same time they even meet our needs but we have to pay.

If the facilities, in leasing, could meet our needs still they could be less cost effective of facilities to owing. In other words, if I have an appartment and I have to pay the rent, even if this rent is congruous, at the end of the day is still less cost effective if I pay a loan

I have a rent for 500$ and a loan for 600 $ is better to pay 600 $ because I would be the owner, instead the rent is a waste of money in somehow.

I'm pretty sure the answer is A and may be you are good at CR but for most of the students this is a pretty tough question.

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 21

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 15:29
This post received
KUDOS
sharmila79 wrote:
carcass wrote:

What is the conclusion here? Is it "Govt. is not guilty of making any new construction"?

IMO

Argument is as follow:

Conclusion:The governments decision to build the new construction is not a waste of money,

Because (Insert assumption)...

"Adaption of vacant office space to meet the governments requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such space a more cost effective alternative to new construction"

@carcass..Do you agree?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 16:22
carcass wrote:

can yu please explain y option D is wrong.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 21

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 16:32
shaileshmishra,

What is your conclusion? And how does D connect with that conclusion?
Manager
Manager

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 18:16
I failed miserably on this question. If only GMAC could give us about 1 more minute/question on Verbal.

CR is what I struggle most with. I am by no means comfortable yet with it.

So it sounds like we are on the same page.

Owning is preferable to leasing=Assumption.

In the example you provided owning ($400) is preferable to leasing ($600). Why? Because retrofitting the existing space to accommodate government building may be more expensive.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2903 [0], given: 709

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 11:41
Expert's post
Another way to think about this questin is (more simple):

The gov pay for leasing for facilities that are not adapt to the scope, but it has to do. a bunch of $ to spend.

As such, if you follow this line of reasoning at the top of your head : the gov can do a sort of adaption and it can do nothing otherwise to pay.

A) adaptation.

Please edit the post with the OA.

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 752

Kudos [?]: 3476 [0], given: 963

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 05:37
Expert's post
Expert Post

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 06:27
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 13:46
souvik101990 wrote:
Good amount of typos in the question.
Where did you get it from?

Sorry about that. I just noticed the typos and fixed them. This question came from GMAC Test #52, questions #5 from section 5.
Manager
Manager

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 13:58
carcass wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Even in this question

the full stop in the first phrase. is completely out of scope, it doesn't have any sense

advertisement-of-the-many-over-the-counter-medications-146211.html

I typed the question word for word, with the exception of SinEase, which I spelled as Sinease. I just corrected it though. I know what you mean about the first sentence of the question stem, it's written awkwardly, but that is how it appears in the paper test. If you are referring to the answer choices, please elaborate on what is wrong with them. I just reviewed each one again, and there is no discrepancy between what I posted and what appeared on the paper test.

BTW the question you posted a link to came from GMAC test #52, question #14, section 5.
Expert Post

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:07
Expert's post
jgomey wrote:
carcass wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Even in this question

the full stop in the first phrase. is completely out of scope, it doesn't have any sense

advertisement-of-the-many-over-the-counter-medications-146211.html

I typed the question word for word, with the exception of SinEase, which I spelled as Sinease. I just corrected it though. I know what you mean about the first sentence of the question stem, it's written awkwardly, but that is how it appears in the paper test.

BTW the question came from GMAC test #52, question #14, section 5.

thanks for the info. Now I saw too, you are right.

well accordingly with stacey koprince from mgmat these paper tests from ETS that amministred the gmat before the gmac do not reflect the actual gmat. so is not a really good resource.

Now, I can't give you a definitive judgement about but stacey is one of the lead expert in the whole gmat world...........

;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:09
What? That sucks! I purchased the tests thinking they were a good source of practice. I wonder why GMAC markets these tests if they are not on par with the actual GMAT.

They are not cheap either :cry:
Expert Post

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:18
Expert's post
jgomey wrote:
What? That sucks! I purchased the tests thinking they were a good source of practice. I wonder why GMAC markets these tests if they are not on par with the actual GMAT.

They are not cheap either :cry:

ehi jgomey i'm sorry if what i said make you worry.

But I said is not a really good resource. maybe i'm wrong too stay calm :) indeed the questions are good and tough, me too think they are good after all

For practice are good can I have the link where did you purchase these sets ?? please can you provide it ???

is this http://www.mba.com/store/store-catalog/ ... tests.aspx

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:37
No worries! I just assumed that the resources from GMAC where the best. I guess I was wrong.

That link sends you to the same site that I bought the tests from:

http://www.mba.com/store/store-catalog/ ... tests.aspx?

If you click on the detailed description tab you will see test #52-see paper test package #3. Test 52 is where I gathered those questions from.
Expert Post

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:48
Expert's post
this is a quote by stacey

Quote:
They are good as additional practice of individual questions. Do NOT take them as a full test and expect that to be similar to your CAT testing experience - the two types of tests are very different and, in some cases, the way in which you'd take a paper test is exactly the opposite of waht you'd want to do on the CAT. So don't train yourself to have paper test expectations!

A better use of your time would be a review of OG11 + the two supplements. (Or OG10.)

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... t4045.html

I saw your PVT

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:49
I PM'd you, and attached the GMAC test I am using.
Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2013, 14:49