Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In several cities, the government is going ahead with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 723 [1] , given: 40

In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

72% (02:30) correct 28% (02:09) wrong based on 205 sessions
In several cities, the government is going ahead with ambitious construction projects despite the high office-vacancy rates in those cities. The vacant offices, though available for leasing, unfortunately do not meet the requirements for the facilities needed, such as court houses and laboratories. The government, therefore, is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?
A Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government's requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction.

B The government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost-effective.

C If facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the government's requirements for facilities the government needs, the government can relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance.

D The government's construction projects would not on being completed, add to the stock of facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.

E Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective.

Kindly give some explanations.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 108 [1] , given: 336

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS
P1:The government is going ahead with ambitious construction projects despite the high office-vacancy rates in those cities.
P2:The vacant offices do not meet the requirements for the facilities needed.

Conclusion: The government, therefore, is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.

ok for this question assumption should be some thing that states that "these old houses are noway useful for the Offices(This is what i felt after i read the Question)

A) Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government's requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction.

D) The government's construction projects would not on being completed, add to the stock of facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.(I feel D is going out of the conclusion)

Always remember in Assumption Question.

Assumption should be very closely related to Conclusion
&
Negating the Assumption Conclusion should not be valid

These 2 are very imp for Assumption Questions

One Final Try.......

Last edited by RaviChandra on 04 Apr 2010, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 12:11
I am confused between A and D..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 07:24
A
It is a tough one.

B. No. If two options are equally cost effective, you can choose one and not be blamed for wastefulness. It is a matter of preference.
C. No. it is asking you to change the premise, which says that the vacant spaces are not suited to the govt needs.
D. No. the scenario is about starting and suspending the construction. The argument is about the whole action.
E. No. extreme statement.

A. if you logically negate A -- "Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government's requirements, if possible, would make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction"-- it would impact the conclusion. So, the right answer.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 6

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 19:23
I think it is (D)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 44

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 23:12
Even I'm confused between A & D...

What's the OA ?

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 44

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 23:48
Thanks for the explanation, RaviChandra !

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 40

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:56
OA is A.

I did this by rule of elimination.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 21:21
I see that it's well understood that A is the right ans and I can see why
but I have a doubt on this one, for some reason I was stuck between A and E.

As we all know for assumption questions we are supposed to focus on the conclusion.
Conclusion -> The government is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness. ( so there is nothing else the govt can do but new construction that is the best possible/cost effective/no waste solution)

A Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government's requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction.
(so here they are saying that this office space even if we try to use it won't be cost effective which makes sense and I can't honestly I can't find a flaw in this)

E Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective. ( but in this one, where is the flaw, if the government is required by law to prove that there are no other cost effective alternatives, we have sort of covered all wild possibilities and the govt is in no way being wasteful) - please help me out with what I'm missing here, for some reason I see this as a better ans, since it covers the govt from all sides.

Be willing to fail. It's the price of greatness. ;)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 40

Re: government is going ahead with ambitious construction projec [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 04:39
firang,

I think E simply repeats the stated conclusion with a touch of some extreme words.

firang wrote:
I see that it's well understood that A is the right ans and I can see why
but I have a doubt on this one, for some reason I was stuck between A and E.

As we all know for assumption questions we are supposed to focus on the conclusion.
Conclusion -> The government is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness. ( so there is nothing else the govt can do but new construction that is the best possible/cost effective/no waste solution)

(so here they are saying that this office space even if we try to use it won't be cost effective which makes sense and I can't honestly I can't find a flaw in this)

E Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective. ( but in this one, where is the flaw, if the government is required by law to prove that there are no other cost effective alternatives, we have sort of covered all wild possibilities and the govt is in no way being wasteful) - please help me out with what I'm missing here, for some reason I see this as a better ans, since it covers the govt from all sides.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 17:21
Although I got the right answer through POE, i dont think I have quite grasp the whole logical reasoning in this question. Can anybody elaborate the reasoning for A? thanks.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 20:36
ykaiim wrote:
In several cities, the government is going ahead with ambitious construction projects despite the high office-vacancy rates in those cities. The vacant offices, though available for leasing, unfortunately do not meet the requirements for the facilities needed, such as court houses and laboratories. The government, therefore, is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.

E Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective

My confusion is between A and E. Finally, I choose E. I still do not know how to get into logical reasoning to choose choice A. This is the really tough question. Can anyone colaborate more specifically. Thanks

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 07:45
I put A just because all the other choices didn't make sense for me. I've seen many techniques that you guys are talking about "irrelevant", "negate", "out of scope". I've never studied for GMAT before. I'm a GMAT rookie. I took the test about two years ago cold turkey. Got a 640 but am trying to improve my score. Please someone be my GMAT Mentor. :D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 22:39
A Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government's requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction. - Only when making changes to the current facilities to suit gov needs is not as cost effective as building new facilites, gov is going ahead with new projects - Correct
B The government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost-effective. - If gov prefers leasing when both are cost effective, then this statement negates the arguement. - Incorrect.
C If facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the government's requirements for facilities the government needs, the government can relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance. - Since Gov is going ahead with new projects, it can be said that none of the existing facilities come close to being compliant to gov requirements. - Incorrect
D The government's construction projects would not on being completed, add to the stock of facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned. - Gov is going ahead with new projects so that the new projects are compliant with the requirements and hence would be used by Gov after the construction is completed - Incorrect
E Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective. - New projects are in progress and it clearly means that gov could not find any cost effective alternative - Incorrect
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 10:39
Expert's post
Please let me know whether I am correct.
As per the option E, ........any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost effective.
By saying that there are no alternatives..., it raises question of what alternative and thus broadens the scope.
Hence incorrect.
Only option A seems correct because it ensures that even if they fulfil all the requirements, then also it would not make leasing office more cost effective.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 75

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 13:50

Meaning :
Even if the decisions made by the Govt. is causing loss ; Govt. is not the guilty

Govt. should be responsible for its decision - to choose profitable option , to reduce cost involved

Govt.'s own responsibility is not under scan , whereas Govt. should be responsible to take the onus of the profit/loss.

this is further clarified in (E) that the RULES (constitution etc...) states that the GOVT. should follow the rules to achieve more profitability.

B The government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost-effective.

C If facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the government's requirements for facilities the government needs, the government can relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance.

D The government's construction projects would not on being completed, add to the stock of facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.

E Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective. correct

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 14:03
Expert's post
thevenus wrote:

Meaning :
Even if the decisions made by the Govt. is causing loss ; Govt. is not the guilty

Govt. should be responsible for its decision - to choose profitable option , to reduce cost involved

Govt.'s own responsibility is not under scan , whereas Govt. should be responsible to take the onus of the profit/loss.

this is further clarified in (E) that the RULES (constitution etc...) states that the GOVT. should follow the rules to achieve more profitability.

E Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective. correct

But don't you think that this option is way to broad.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 21:15

E Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective.

Went with E. I might just make the same mistake again. Are there any pointers on "assumption on which the argument depends on" available.
Re: In several cities, the government is going ahead with   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2012, 21:15