Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In some African languages, verbs not only encode the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 17

In some African languages, verbs not only encode the [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (02:17) correct 54% (01:17) wrong based on 313 sessions
In some African languages, verbs not only encode the timeframe of an event but also imply the origin of the speaker's knowledge, which may be direct observation, hearsay, or intuition, resulting in speakers of those languages who cannot state facts without an attribution to some source.

not only encode the timeframe of an event but also imply the origin of the speaker's knowledge, which may be direct observation, hearsay, or intuition, resulting in speakers of those languages who cannot state facts without an attribution to some source

not only encode the timeframe of an event but also the origin of the speaker's knowledge, direct observation, hearsay, or intuition; therefore, speakers of those languages cannot state a fact without some source of attribution

encode not only the timeframe of an event but also the origin of the speaker's knowledge, whether direct observation, hearsay, or intuition; as a result, speakers of those languages cannot state facts without attributing them to a source

do not encode the timeframe of an event; they also imply the origin of the speaker's knowledge -- whether direct observation, hearsay, or intuition -- resulting in the inability of those languages' speakers to state facts and not attributions to some source

not only encode the timeframe of an event but also imply the origin of the speaker's knowledge, direct observation, hearsay, or intuition; speakers of those languages, therefore, do not state facts without attributing them to sources
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: In some African languages [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 23:26
I got the right answer but I want to check the thought process of the experts. After few answers, I will also write down how I approached this during the examination.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: In some African languages [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 13:02
got it wrong :(

folks can we have some input on this pls......
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: In some African languages [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 13:17
let's understand :-

A transitional phrase is something like “for example” or “in other words.” A sentence with a transitional phrase could read as follows:

I have a big test tomorrow; as a result, I can't go out tonight.

(C) has it !

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: In some African languages, verbs not only encode the [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 21:55
How I approached was: x is attributed to y, so A, B and D OUT and between C and E, verb must precede before not only .. but also... so C

However, tell me why "them" in the second clause is not ambiguous. Experts, e-gmat, please help!
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 1455 [5] , given: 245

Re: In some African languages, verbs not only encode the [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A). not only encode the timeframe of an event but also imply the origin of the speaker's knowledge, which may be direct observation, hearsay, or intuition, resulting in speakers of those languages who cannot state facts without an attribution to some source ----- languages who cannot speak does not make sense

B). not only encode the timeframe of an event but also the origin of the speaker's knowledge, direct observation, hearsay, or intuition; therefore, speakers of those languages cannot state a fact without some source of attribution ….. not only verb … but also noun –un//.

C). encode not only the timeframe of an event but also the origin of the speaker's knowledge, whether direct observation, hearsay, or intuition; as a result, speakers of those languages cannot state facts without attributing them to a source ---- correct choice that specifies by using whether, the speaker’s knowledge is from direct observation, hearsay, or intuition

D. do not encode the timeframe of an event; they also imply the origin of the speaker's knowledge -- whether direct observation, hearsay, or intuition -- resulting in the inability of those languages' speakers to state facts and not attributions to some source --- do not en code is totally opposite to do not only encode. Meaning diametrically changed.

E. not only encode the timeframe of an event but also imply the origin of the speaker's knowledge, direct observation, hearsay, or intuition; speakers of those languages, therefore, do not state facts without attributing them to sources …. The origin stands good for all the four factors. --- 1.speaker's knowledge, 2.direct observation, 3. hearsay, or 4. intuition. Origin should stand for only speaker’s knowledge

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 208

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In some African languages, verbs not only encode the [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 11:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 54

Re: In some African languages, verbs not only encode the [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 00:32
Thanks daagh,

But B also has the same error which you have pointed out in E.
I eliminated E due to meaning change.

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Re: In some African languages, verbs not only encode the   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2013, 00:32