Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In speech, when words or sentences are ambiguous, gesture

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
In speech, when words or sentences are ambiguous, gesture [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 04:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

66% (01:59) correct 34% (01:29) wrong based on 59 sessions
In speech, when words or sentences are ambiguous, gesture and tone of voice are used to indicate the intended meaning. Writers, of course, cannot use gesture or tone of voice and must rely instead on style; the reader detects the writer’s intention from the arrangement of words and sentences.
Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?
(A) The primary function of style in writing is to augment the literal meanings of the words and sentences used.
(B) The intended meaning of a piece of writing is indicated in part by the writer’s arrangement of words and sentences.
(C) It is easier for a listener to detect the tone of a speaker than for a reader to detect the style of the writer.
(D) A writer’s intention will always be interpreted differently by different readers.
(E) The writer’s arrangement of words and sentences completely determines the aesthetic value of his or her writing.

I am struggling with A and B.

Cheers,
SD

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 05:42
SudiptoGmat wrote:
In speech, when words or sentences are ambiguous, gesture and tone of voice are used to indicate the intended meaning. Writers, of course, cannot use gesture or tone of voice and must rely instead on style; the reader detects the writer’s intention from the arrangement of words and sentences.
Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?
(A) The primary function of style in writing is to augment the literal meanings of the words and sentences used.
(B) The intended meaning of a piece of writing is indicated in part by the writer’s arrangement of words and sentences.
(C) It is easier for a listener to detect the tone of a speaker than for a reader to detect the style of the writer.
(D) A writer’s intention will always be interpreted differently by different readers.
(E) The writer’s arrangement of words and sentences completely determines the aesthetic value of his or her writing.

C, E - Out of scope
A & D - have strong words; "primary function", "always". Though, I'm not clear on this. So, picked B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 08:16
IMO B

(A) The primary function of style in writing is to augment the literal meanings of the words and sentences used. Primary function could be expressing ideas clearly...
(C) It is easier for a listener to detect the tone of a speaker than for a reader to detect the style of the writer. The argument never says that..
(D) A writer’s intention will always be interpreted differently by different readers. Out of scope(E) The writer’s arrangement of words and sentences completely determines the aesthetic value of his or her writing. Out of scope
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 11:13
In speech, gestures and tone augment the literal meaning of words and sentences, in writing, it is the style. So A and B are both supported, but I'd rather go with B, since A sounds too strong!!!!

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 11:44
Yes guys B is the OA. A is too strong.

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 12:28
surely B it is
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 19:56
SudiptoGmat wrote:

A talks about literal meaning while B talks about intended meaning -- which is what the passage is about. So, you can rule out A based on that!
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 00:58
+1 vote for B

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 01:38
I was struggling between B and D.
Realised D is out of scope.
Answer is B.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 04:59
b

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - writer’s intention [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 16:45
Contenders - A & B. Eliminated A because of strong wordings
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In speech, when words or sentences are ambiguous, gesture [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 06:59
I agree that given the choices, only B appears the most fit. I have one concern with B though. It says that the reader understands the meaning of the writer in part by the style. Are there other elements that a reader uses to grasp the meaning? Or is the style sufficient to let the reader understand the meaning only partially and not completely? The stimulus never mentions that the style has a partial role in the understanding nor does it say that style has complete role.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: In speech, when words or sentences are ambiguous, gesture [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 20:34
Why B is the Best answer ? because, it doesn't have any extreme word.

Rest options have hard words :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 654 [0], given: 6

Re: In speech, when words or sentences are ambiguous, gesture [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 22:13
Expert's post
In order to support an argument, the supporting leg must reference the same topics.

In the argument, the relationship between two topics X and Y are ("intention" and "arrangement of words") - and we know the argument links them.

The supporting statement must link them as well.

A) It's true that (A) is strong because of the word "primary" - but what if it were removed?

The topic becomes the "function of style in writing" - then we see that the function connects to "augmenting the literal meanings of words"

Does it connect "intention" and "arrangement of words" as the argument does? It's a stretch..in a way intention is similar to the "augmentation of literal meaning of words" but that connection is not 100% clear.

As a result, (A) is not the choice that "most strongly" supports - (B) more strongly supports since the topics and relationships are more directly similar.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: In speech, when words or sentences are ambiguous, gesture   [#permalink] 17 May 2012, 22:13