Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In spite of continuing national trends toward increased

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 204
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 13

In spite of continuing national trends toward increased [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 00:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

6% (02:02) correct 94% (00:55) wrong based on 19 sessions
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased consumption of specialty foods, agronomists in the Midwest foresee a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples: feed corn and hard red wheat.
(A) a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples
(B) that a gradual reversion back will feature the raising of agricultural staples
(C) a gradual reversion back to the raising of agricultural staples again
(D) a gradual reversion to raise agricultural staples
(E) a gradual reversion into the raising of agricultural staples

[Reveal] Spoiler:
PLS tell me what is the problem with D

_________________

GMAT is not a game for losers , and the moment u decide to appear for it u are no more a loser........ITS A BRAIN GAME

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 238
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 25

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 00:24
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased consumption of specialty foods, agronomists in the Midwest foresee a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples: feed corn and hard red wheat.
(A) a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staplesCORRECT
(B) that a gradual reversion back will feature the raising of agricultural staplesreversion and back both mean the same----redundancy error
(C) a gradual reversion back to the raising of agricultural staples againsame problem as B
(D) a gradual reversion to raise agricultural staplesLook closely,meaning changed by using the infinitive "to raise" instead of the gerund "raising". We need a gerund here as we are comparing nouns
(E) a gradual reversion into the raising of agricultural staplesreversion into is unidiomatic


IMO A
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 222
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 09:10
IMO A

revert to - hence, 'reversion to' is needed ......

(A) a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples
(B) that a gradual reversion back will feature the raising of agricultural staples - REDUNDANT
(C) a gradual reversion back to the raising of agricultural staples again - REDUNDANT
(D) a gradual reversion to raise agricultural staples - no infinitve needed
(E) a gradual reversion into the raising of agricultural staples - 'to' needed
_________________

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 14:33
IMO I look at the sentence as if -in spite of A, there are B (addition meaning)-. Therefore, I see the thin line of connection between "the increased consumption of specialty foods" and "the raising of agricultural staples". Then, "to raise agricultural staples" does not seem parallel to me.--> Eliminate D

Plus, "Reverse/reversion" conveys the meaning both "back and "again". I agree with Urchin that it is redundant.-->Eliminate B and C

"reverse into" doesnt seem right to me--> eliminate E

my ans. A
_________________

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 05:25
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased consumption of specialty foods, agronomists in the Midwest foresee a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples: feed corn and hard red wheat.
(A) a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples
(B) that a gradual reversion back will feature the raising of agricultural staples
(C) a gradual reversion back to the raising of agricultural staples again
(D) a gradual reversion to raise agricultural staples
(E) a gradual reversion into the raising of agricultural staples

[Reveal] Spoiler:
PLS tell me what is the problem with D


The infinitive indicates purpose. Option D is saying that the agronomists foresee a gradual reversion because they want to raise agricultural staples. Obviously this is not the intended meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 269
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 1

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 05:29
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased consumption of specialty foods, agronomists in the Midwest foresee a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples: feed corn and hard red wheat.
(A) a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples
(B) that a gradual reversion back will feature the raising of agricultural staples
(C) a gradual reversion back to the raising of agricultural staples again
(D) a gradual reversion to raise agricultural staples
(E) a gradual reversion into the raising of agricultural staples

[Reveal] Spoiler:
PLS tell me what is the problem with D


The infinitive indicates purpose. Option D is saying that the agronomists foresee a gradual reversion because they want to raise agricultural staples. Obviously this is not the intended meaning.

the problem is ' a gradual reversion' is noun and ' raise agricultural staples' is verb.... so noun to verb does not sound ok... whereas in A 'the raising of agricultural staples' is noun.. so noun to noun is ok
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2003
Posts: 68
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 12:43
The raising is parallel to which noun in the non underlying clause?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 13:17
chetan2u wrote:
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased consumption of specialty foods, agronomists in the Midwest foresee a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples: feed corn and hard red wheat.
(A) a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples
(B) that a gradual reversion back will feature the raising of agricultural staples
(C) a gradual reversion back to the raising of agricultural staples again
(D) a gradual reversion to raise agricultural staples
(E) a gradual reversion into the raising of agricultural staples

[Reveal] Spoiler:
PLS tell me what is the problem with D


The infinitive indicates purpose. Option D is saying that the agronomists foresee a gradual reversion because they want to raise agricultural staples. Obviously this is not the intended meaning.

the problem is ' a gradual reversion' is noun and ' raise agricultural staples' is verb.... so noun to verb does not sound ok... whereas in A 'the raising of agricultural staples' is noun.. so noun to noun is ok


following your logic, the following sentence should be incorrect

Scientists have created a scale to rate a hurricane's strength from 1 (weakest) to 5 (strongest)

here you have noun + verb
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Posts: 197
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 22:01
D seems to make more sense than B to me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 05:00
though its clear that A is the OA, but still what is OA?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 74
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 06:27
[quote="xcusemeplz2009"]In spite of continuing national trends toward increased consumption of specialty foods, agronomists in the Midwest foresee a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples: feed corn and hard red wheat.
(A) a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples
(B) that a gradual reversion back will feature the raising of agricultural staples
(C) a gradual reversion back to the raising of agricultural staples again
(D) a gradual reversion to raise agricultural staples
(E) a gradual reversion into the raising of agricultural staples

Reversion IN is correct!

Reversion IN stock-prices... It mean the return of belief IN something, not return of belief TO something.... I belive IN God, not TO God and so on!

E would be correct for me.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 74
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 06:27
Can we get the source and OA, please ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 152
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 15

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 12:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased consumption of specialty foods, agronomists in the Midwest foresee a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples: feed corn and hard red wheat.
(A) a gradual reversion to the raising of agricultural staples
(B) that a gradual reversion back will feature the raising of agricultural staples
(C) a gradual reversion back to the raising of agricultural staples again
(D) a gradual reversion to raise agricultural staples
(E) a gradual reversion into the raising of agricultural staples


Answer: A
'gradual reversion back' is wrong as 'back' is redundant. B and C is out.
Idiom: 'reversion to' - E is out.
In this case, the question stem is talking about a reversion to a certain practice. Hence, we need to use 'raising of agricultural staples', which signifies an ongoing act/process i.e. practice. D is out.
_________________

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 190
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 04:08
gmatopoeia wrote:

Answer: A
'gradual reversion back' is wrong as 'back' is redundant. B and C is out.
Idiom: 'reversion to' - E is out.
In this case, the question stem is talking about a reversion to a certain practice. Hence, we need to use 'raising of agricultural staples', which signifies an ongoing act/process i.e. practice. D is out.



Thanks buddy.. kudos to you... i was stuck between A and D and although i was favouring A i eventually went for D thinking concision bad choice i guess :-(
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 176
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 00:18
reversion + back is redundant
Hence B &C are out
And reversion to something is idiomatic
SO A it is
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: MBAing!!!!
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 311
Location: United States (FL)
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

Re: to raise [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 16:01
I picked D, but I understand why A is correct. Thanks for the explanations guys.
Re: to raise   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2011, 16:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased mymba99 4 15 May 2008, 16:23
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased gotoknow3 5 05 Nov 2005, 05:45
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased nakib77 5 02 Nov 2005, 13:06
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased WinWinMBA 2 16 Jun 2005, 16:56
In spite of continuing national trends toward increased prasad_bgv 10 05 Jan 2005, 07:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In spite of continuing national trends toward increased

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.