Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In spite of what its critics say, the new, expensive

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

In spite of what its critics say, the new, expensive [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 18:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In spite of what its critics say, the new,
expensive artificial kidney implant is a boon
to modern medicine. These critics should
remember that the first heart transplants
stimulated an enormous amount of beneficial
medical research, even though the transplant
technique was later rejected in favor of less
invasive surgical procedures.
8. The author defends the artificial kidney implant
against the critics by
(A) attacking her opponents’ method of
circular reasoning
(B) implying an analogy between the benefits
of the artificial kidney implant and the
benefits of the early heart transplants
(C) pointing out a contradiction implicit in their
criticism of the implant’s high cost
(D) criticizing the professional objectivity of
her opponents rather than their claim
(E) implying an analogy between the critics’
opposition to the artificial kidney implant
and their opposition to the early heart
transplants
9. Opponents of the artificial kidney implant could

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 19:19
IMO E its comparing the oppositions that critics had for the artificial kidney implant and heart transplant one
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 19:30
rao_1857 wrote:
IMO E its comparing the oppositions that critics had for the artificial kidney implant and heart transplant one

Between C and E...I went to C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 19:49
IMO E.

The argument uses the critics’ opposition in both the cases as the base of argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 20:37
I will go for E. The critic's analogy is being discussed.

(C) pointing out a contradiction implicit in their criticism of the implant’s high cost

Not (C) because, there is no criticism implied about the implant's high cost (except being called "expensive", but the author does not go further).

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 21:15
I would pick C. If I read this correctly, there is no mention of a criticism about Heart Transplants. These critics should remember that the first heart transplants stimulated an enormous amount of beneficial medical research, even though the transplant technique was later rejected in favor of less invasive surgical procedures.. Unless I am failing to interpret it right, the argument simply cites the amount of beneficial medical research spurred by the transplant and no where in the argument it says that there were protests for heart transplants when it was done in the past.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 21:22
wizardofwashington wrote:
I would pick C. If I read this correctly, there is no mention of a criticism about Heart Transplants. These critics should remember that the first heart transplants stimulated an enormous amount of beneficial medical research, even though the transplant technique was later rejected in favor of less invasive surgical procedures.. Unless I am failing to interpret it right, the argument simply cites the amount of beneficial medical research spurred by the transplant and no where in the argument it says that there were protests for heart transplants when it was done in the past.

Why can't B an option? "artificial kidney implant is a boon
to modern medicine" and "first heart transplants stimulated an enormous amount of beneficial medical research" imply analogy between the two benefits. Am I interpreting it differently?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 21:51
scthakur wrote:

to modern medicine" and "first heart transplants stimulated an enormous amount of beneficial medical research" imply analogy between the two benefits. Am I interpreting it differently?

Benefits of artificial kidney is not explicitly stated.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 09:38
scthakur wrote:

True !!
OA is B !

Even i ended up selecting E ,thinking that analogy exists between critics opposing kidney transplant and heart transplant .But if we closely view E and argument ,we will see:

argument says (E) implying an analogy between the critics’
opposition to the artificial kidney implant
and their opposition to the early heart
transplants ,but no where argument says critics argued against first heart transplant,may be author is just saying ,X which is first time development stimulates enormous research later on being rejected due to some flaw Z.author wants to convey that like Z there might be some flaw in kidney transplant but it might lead to research stimulation.

But in B rightly says that author bringns the anology of +ve points of two developments .

OA is B

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 11:53
scthakur wrote:

oops.. I meant Option B. I didn't realize that typo. Sorry. The explanation offered was for choice B, which happens to be the right answer! Yay!
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: cr-kidney transplant [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 17:03
I picked B when I read the Q. I was going through all the answers and I was wondering why B is not the answer.

Critics never said anything about the Heart transplants. only E talks bout it. wrong

We are not concerned about cost here. C is wrong

Stem says that Kidney transplants are a boon to medicine. B sums up the analogy
Re: cr-kidney transplant   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2008, 17:03