Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In surprising medical news, scientists investigating

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 5

In surprising medical news, scientists investigating [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 19:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

39% (01:37) correct 61% (00:24) wrong based on 31 sessions
In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.

(A) brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(B) brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(C) brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
(D) brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
(E) brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking

I disagree with the OA:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The OA and explanation are:
Quote:
The original sentence is correct as written. Commas are used correctly to separate the parenthetical expression located behind the ear from the rest of the sentence.

1. The phrase located behind the ear is correctly separated from the rest of the sentence by commas.

But, in A, isn't "located behind the ear" incorrectly modifying "brain"? It's not the brain located behind the ear, but the particular part of the brain. The explanation claims that B makes it a run-on, but that's the only answer choice in which "located behind the ear" modifies the correct thing. Thoughts?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.54
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Strokes and smoking habits [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 23:18
I selected the choice B as well. But when tried to justify the OA, Here Brain is not the subject but instead it is "a part of the brain" which is being modified. Hence it justifies the OA.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1613 [0], given: 249

Re: Strokes and smoking habits [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 03:42
Expert's post
The OA and OE are hardly convincing. A is not the only one in which the ‘located behind the ear’ is separated by parenthesis. Even in C and E, they are set off by commas. The OE should explain what is wrong with C and E.

If the OE claims the B is a run-on, it is an awful blunder. A run-on is one that does not connect two independent sentences with a proper conjunction or punctuation. What punctuation or conjunction is missing in B

The modifier ‘located behind the ear’ does not categorically mean what it is modifying. There lurking doubt is that by leaving it naked, it may also modify the injury

Use of a smoking habit gives the feeling that the injury can stop one of a kind of several smoking habits; In contrast, the habit of smoking is all the way a better and more specific expression.

This is why I feel that E is the best of the lot, with its modifier ‘the one’ specifically referring to the part of the brain located behind the ear
Part of the brain is not the subject in this case, but it is the injury. Becos, the part of the brain is not stopping the habit of smoking. It is the injury that is stopping .

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by daagh on 03 Dec 2010, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strokes and smoking habits [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with TeyJay with the OE.
The reason C and E are wrong because "the habit of smoking"..makes the sentence say "THE upmost thing (habit of smoking). so completely out.

among the rest of the choices, according to me B clearly modifies its preceding phrases correctly.
Not sure why it is a run-on.
If you re-read A...it breaks the sentence at spots which does make sense.

Experts any help?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Strokes and smoking habits [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 08:19
This is a tricky question. I chose the answer as C. To me it was a tough call between A and C but I went with C because I thought "the" was better as it was specific to smoking or the "habit" of smoking but maybe that's precisely the reason why its wrong. I debated this in mind. It was a choice between "a" and "the" for me and I went with the latter. The explanation does not help as pointed out A and C have the same separation of commas.

Although E is definitely wrong due to the usage of "the one located"
Here "the" is unnecessary and redundant.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Re: Strokes and smoking habits [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 09:02
This is a tricky but a good one. I would have definetly selected C in the test. But still not sure why A is correct and C is wrong.

B appears ambiguous to me. It says "specific part of brain located behind the ear" which might mean that the brain is located behind the ear.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 9

Re: Strokes and smoking habits [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 09:31
picked B

whats the source of the Q?

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: In surprising medical news, scientists investigating [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 23:57
This is a GMAT club test question v05 Q#14...

I also doubt the OE and OA as well .. :(

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Strokes and smoking habits [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 09:28
sheru34766 wrote:
This is a tricky but a good one. I would have definetly selected C in the test. But still not sure why A is correct and C is wrong.

B appears ambiguous to me. It says "specific part of brain located behind the ear" which might mean that the brain is located behind the ear.

That's odd, because I read "specific part of the brain, located behind the ear" as implying more that the brain is located behind the ear.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: In surprising medical news, scientists investigating [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 19:07
Exactly the same reasoning as walkerme13.
Can somebody clarify this question.

-If you like my post, consider giving KUDOS

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In surprising medical news, scientists investigating [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 01:06
Yes i too picked C....so it should be explained why "a smoking habit "is better than "the habit of smoking".
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In surprising medical news, scientists investigating [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 02:06
I don't see the different between A and C beside the concision between "habit of smoking" and "smoking habit". My first confuse is between choice A and E. Finally, I got E (incorrect choice)

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: In surprising medical news, scientists investigating [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 05:27
I too picked C, can anyone please share the OA with proper justification

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Re: In surprising medical news, scientists investigating   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2011, 05:27