Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 11:15

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 03:16
thank you MIke.

I can summarize that to solve a cr question, there are only 2 processes of thinking

- prethink something after reading the argument and before reading the answer choices.
- combine information in each answer choice with information in the argument to prove/disprove that answer choices.

when do we do process 1 and when we do process 2. pls explain.

I have not read your article, (will read in a short time), but for now if you have any advise, pls , post

thank you.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1980 [1] , given: 29

Re: In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
thank you MIke.
I can summarize that to solve a cr question, there are only 2 processes of thinking
- prethink something after reading the argument and before reading the answer choices.
- combine information in each answer choice with information in the argument to prove/disprove that answer choices.
when do we do process 1 and when we do process 2. pls explain.
I have not read your article, (will read in a short time), but for now if you have any advise, pls , post
thank you.

Please read that article, in which the answer to this question is explained clearly. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 06:28
thank you Mike
I read the articles already.

there is no strategy for this type of argument. this is strengthen/weaken question but this question dose not require prethink an assumption.

what we do after we read/understand argurment and before we read/analyse the answer choices, for this type of question. ?

"look for what increase the belief that the 2 pieces of evidence are related"

is what we need to know before going to answer choices.

is that right?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1980 [0], given: 29

Re: In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 11:46
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
thank you Mike
I read the articles already.
there is no strategy for this type of argument. this is strengthen/weaken question but this question dose not require prethink an assumption.
what we do after we read/understand argument and before we read/analyse the answer choices, for this type of question. ?
"look for what increase the belief that the 2 pieces of evidence are related"
is what we need to know before going to answer choices.
is that right?

Yes. You see, the GMAT excels at producing question that demand flexible logical reasoning. You absolutely cannot afford to get stuck in a rut, applying the same routine to each question. Instead, many GMAT CR questions demand something entirely new, analysis unlike that demanded by any previous question. This question is an example of such a question. It is not a "question type." It is an out-of-the-blue question all of its own, and you have to engage deeply with the logic of the situation itself. Many questions on the CR, both in the OG and on the real GMAT, will be just like this. Yes, there are a few "types", like "find the assumption", where you definitely can do some "pre-thinking" before you look at the answer choices. Nevertheless, do not get attached to that luxury. Many questions ask you to engage the logic-in-context of the situation, and there's no recipe/procedure/method that will save you from this deep and contextual logical reasoning.

Here's a post that discusses this a little more.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/formal-log ... reasoning/

Do you know the magazine entitled The Economist? I would highly recommend this magazine, both for the tremendous overview of world political and economic issues it provides, and for high level of language, rhetoric, and argument is maintains. See this post:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/reading-fo ... economist/
If you read the argument in that magazine --- you will be reading messy real world arguments, arguments that are inextricable bound to what is unique to each situation. You cannot use recipes or formulas to understand these arguments. You need to understand context itself. Reading The Economist magazine would give you excellent preparation for the wild diversity of possible arguments in the GMAT CR.

Think about it. The whole point of the CR section on the GMAT, the reason business schools consider this an important topic, is that in the business world you will face new situations and new arguments and new issues all the time. The folks who respond to a new situation or argument with formulaic methods will not get everything out of the situation that he could. By contrast, the person who recognizes the unique logic of each new context --- the person will be on the cutting edge, always poised to draw profit from each new challenge.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 43

Re: In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 05:09
This was an easy question for and solved it under time for two reasons
1. This is a strengthen and not an evalulate question (answer B, the only contender for me with B is thrown in for the latter)
2. Because this is a strengthen and not an evaluate question, By easy POE E. If B, the contender, were true we couldn't be sure of the fire being lit naturally or by hominids

Thanks for noting this was thrown out Magoosh. He said " It's compelling evidence that they were intentionally killed and cut up by early hominids, and therefore the charring of the bones happened when the animal remains were in the possession of the early hominids, presumably in some kind of cooking process." I only chose E out of POE because this requires a necessary assumption on the part of the test taker. For instance I could have also said, because they were found in similar layers, that Hominids also inhabited the same area a couple of thousands years later, and died/dug tools on top of where these animals died. How they got into the same layer begs question, they could have been put down there with an machine for all I know.

We appreciate your kudos'

Re: In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2013, 05:09