Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 11:35

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 10/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years in IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 7

In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (01:47) correct 15% (00:46) wrong based on 108 sessions
In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just large enough to satisfy
domestic demand. Teruvia’s total rice acreage will not be expanded in the foreseeable
future, nor will rice yields per acre increase appreciably. Teruvia’s population, however,
will be increasing significantly for years to come. Clearly, therefore, Teruvia will soon
have to begin importing rice.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. No pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in
Teruvia.
B. Not all of the acreage in Teruvia currently planted with rice is well suited to the
cultivation of rice.
C. None of the strains of rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high-yielding.
D. There are no populated regions in Teruvia in which the population will not
increase.
E. There are no major crops other than rice for which domestic production and
domestic demand are currently in balance in Teruvia.

Whats wrong in B
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 356

Kudos [?]: 1452 [3] , given: 205

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In Teruvia, the quantity [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 16:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
We are told that presently the rice production is just enough to satisfy the need. We are told that rice production trends will not change, but population will increase.

We are hence assuming that the amount of rice demanded by the people will remain the same, and hence increase with increase in population.

Options C, D and E are irrelevant. So let's just look at A and B.

A says that there is no downward trend in demand for rice, which means that demand for rice is constant, which is consistent with our observation. Let's negate this. There is a decreasing per capita demand for rice. This weakens our argument. Hence A is correct.

But to look at B: This is talking about the acreage suited for the production of rice. This situation already exists with the present trends. We are told that there won't be a change in rice production trends or increase in acreage. Hence this becomes immaterial to answer the question of whether rice demand stays the same in order to require imports.

raghavs wrote:
In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just large enough to satisfy
domestic demand. Teruvia’s total rice acreage will not be expanded in the foreseeable
future, nor will rice yields per acre increase appreciably. Teruvia’s population, however,
will be increasing significantly for years to come. Clearly, therefore, Teruvia will soon
Teruvia.
B. Not all of the acreage in Teruvia currently planted with rice is well suited to the
cultivation of rice.
C. None of the strains of rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high-yielding.
increase.

Whats wrong in B
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 21

Re: In Teruvia, the quantity [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 00:41
Though i got it right.Thanks to whiplash for explanation.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: In Teruvia, the quantity [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:04
picked C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

Re: In Teruvia, the quantity [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:11
Straight A.

For Assumption questions, we assume that the information provided in the stimulus/arguments is all correct.
Moreover the Answer choice can be tested to be correct or not by using the Negate test.
On Negating A, i.e If the demand for price drops over a period of years then the Argument will not hold and hence A is right.
The same is not true for Option B.

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 314

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 15:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 10:55
Hi e-gmat,

Just wanted to know whether my reasoning is correct on this one.

Premise:

Currently, Domestic supply=Domestic Demand.

Supply of rice won't increase appreciably to meet increased demand in case the demand increases.

Population will be increasing.

Conclusion:

City will have to IMPORT rice.

Pre thinking assumption:

Population increase doesn't necessarily means that the DEMAND of RICE will increase and hence this is the GAP.

(a). A. No pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in Teruvia.
In other words, DEMAND is unlikely to decrease by any chance and hence city has to import the rice.

Rgds,
TGC!

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 359 [0], given: 712

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2014, 08:10
raghavs wrote:
Teruvia.
cultivation of rice.
increase.
Whats wrong in B

A is very strong contender and if you negate this choice, we destroy the conclusion
If we look at option C and negate it we get that some of the rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high yielding...which are in use and thus current demand are met...what if we use more of these strains...the demand may be met..but here we are heading in to assuming other things as well...So there are 2 levels assumed here...

Can we categorize this is as one of the ways an assumption question answer choice is put in

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Re: In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2014, 08:10