Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (02:17) correct 41% (01:33) wrong based on 124 sessions
In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease of domestic cats, a false positive result indicates that a cat has FeLV, when in fact, it does not; a false negative result indicates that a cat does not have FeLV when, in fact, it does. To detect FeLV most accurately, veterinarians should use the laboratory test that has the lowest proportion of false negative results.

Which of the following, if true, gives the most support to the recommendation above?

A-A certain proportion of results are inconclusive no matter which laboratory test is used.

B-There is no known cure for FeLV, although some chemotherapeutic agents may produce a temporary remission and some antiviral agents may reduce the amount of virus present in infected cats.

C-Cats do not readily submit to having their blood drawn for a test.

D-Upon receiving a positive test result, veterinarians often submit a second sample to be retested for confirmation.

E- All laboratory tests to detect FeLV have the same rate of false positive results.

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

My question is this.....kaplan explains that D is irrelevant and costly. However, if the the Veteranarians agree to only using tests with the least false negatives , then the proportion of false positives will increase correct? Either way there will be inaccurate test results, its just a matter of whether they are more dangerous (false negative) or less dangerous (false positive). So wouldnt it be better to have false positives and then re take the test?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 9

Re: Cat False Positive [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 03:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease of domestic cats, a false positive result indicates that a cat has FeLV, when in fact, it does not; a false negative result indicates that a cat does not have FeLV when, in fact, it does. To detect FeLV most accurately, veterinarians should use the laboratory test that has the lowest proportion of false negative results.

Which of the following, if true, gives the most support to the recommendation above?

E- All laboratory tests to detect FeLV have the same rate of false positive results.

This one is simply a matter of there being 2 tests. Event Neg and Event Pos. So in the case of E is is saying that NO MATTER WHAT all laboratory tests to detect FeLV will have the same rate of false positive. Which means that you're going to want to pick the lab test that has the lowest proportion of negative results and therefore it supports the theory. so E is the correct answer.

To make it easier to understand, you obviously want the least number of errors so lets take 5 random tests:
-------------Pos Errors----Neg Errors-------Total Errors
Lab test 1-------3-------------2----------------5
Lab test 2-------3-------------3----------------6
Lab test 3-------3-------------4----------------7
Lab test 4-------3-------------1----------------4
Lab test 5-------3-------------2----------------5

Therefore it doesnt matter what the proportion of Pos errors is, the total number of errors goes down. And for the record with False Pos it tells them that they have FeLV when they don't so they would have to take the test again to confirm because it would be costly for treatment just as they would take the False Neg again to make sure the cat is ok. Either way they would take the test to confirm a second time there is no difference between two false.

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cat False Positive [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
nphelan wrote:

This one is simply a matter of there being 2 tests. Event Neg and Event Pos. So in the case of E is is saying that NO MATTER WHAT all laboratory tests to detect FeLV will have the same rate of false positive. Which means that you're going to want to pick the lab test that has the lowest proportion of negative results and therefore it supports the theory. so E is the correct answer.

To make it easier to understand, you obviously want the least number of errors so lets take 5 random tests:
-------------Pos Errors----Neg Errors-------Total Errors
Lab test 1-------3-------------2----------------5
Lab test 2-------3-------------3----------------6
Lab test 3-------3-------------4----------------7
Lab test 4-------3-------------1----------------4
Lab test 5-------3-------------2----------------5

Therefore it doesnt matter what the proportion of Pos errors is, the total number of errors goes down. And for the record with False Pos it tells them that they have FeLV when they don't so they would have to take the test again to confirm because it would be costly for treatment just as they would take the False Neg again to make sure the cat is ok. Either way they would take the test to confirm a second time there is no difference between two false.

I narrowed my choices down to D and E but picked D....thanks for the great explanation.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Cat False Positive [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 05:46
+1 for E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cat False Positive [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 09:19
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cat False Positive [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 11:00
Good explanations i kudos but im on a mobile phone

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 20

Re: In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 05:51
There are 2 ways a report of a lab can be questioned:
based on its false -ve rate & fase +ve rate.

If all labs give same result for +ve rate, obviously we need to depend on false -ve rate. Hence E is correct.

As per D - no matter what the first report says, doctors are going to submit for second test for confirmation. What if the second result contradicts with the first one? There is no answer for this question and hence D is not correct.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 23:25
Choice E is the correct one.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 182

Re: In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 19:57
Argument states two issues - False positive and False negative results of tests. However the author suggests one issue over other (Say issue 2 over issue 1). We need to find out why Issue2 is more significant and Issue1 can be less of a priority.

Choice (E) correctly supports author's recommendation. That Issue 1 (false positive ) tests have same accuracy statistics, thus he recommends addressing issue2 (false negative tests)

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

VP
VP
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 21:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In tests for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV), a serious disease   [#permalink] 11 May 2014, 21:22