Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 14:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 15:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (01:00) correct 52% (00:50) wrong based on 89 sessions
In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern Europe, formed the earliest anarchist parties in the United States, but most Americans became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886.

A) became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886
B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred
C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
D) developed concerns about the movement only after the time of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
E) developed concern about the movement only after there being the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886

I am little bit skeptical about the OA...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Darmody on 29 Jan 2013, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 60

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
Jackouille wrote:
yes OA is C.

Can somebody explain me what is exactly wrong with B ? I really don't see

Hi Jackouille,
Option B make the second part of sentence as below.
Americans became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred

Don't you think the line seems bit awkward? Action in the sentence has happened after 1886 as well as after Riot. Both are connected by comma. When two sentences are connected by when (as conjunction), we don't use comma between them.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 14

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern Europe, formed the earliest anarchist parties in the United States, but most Americans became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886.

A) became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886. "after when" is wrong.
B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred. Grammatically its correct. But the meaning is changing. It seems they became more concerned because of the year and not because of the riot.
C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886. Correct. Grammatically and meaning wise
D) developed concerns about the movement only after the time of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886 - Changes meaning. Seems to indicate many concerns but in reality we are just told that they became concerned.
E) developed concern about the movement only after there being the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886. - "there being" is unnecessary.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 60

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 17:31
IMO: C

A) became concerned about the movement only after when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886
B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred
C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
D) developed concerns about the movement only after the time of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
E) developed concern about the movement only after there being the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 21:29
umeshpatil wrote:
IMO: C

I second that..
As per the Manhattan Sentence Correction guide..
sentences with 'being' should be generally avoided in GMAT..
I had confusion between C and E...
the 'being' factor helped me to eliminate E...hence, picked C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 60

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 21:50
rohitgupta86 wrote:
I second that..
As per the Manhattan Sentence Correction guide..
sentences with 'being' should be generally avoided in GMAT..
I had confusion between C and E...
the 'being' factor helped me to eliminate E...hence, picked C

@rohitgupta86, thanks for showing me evil spirit of 'being' :x Its good idea to eliminate the option.
I chose C because, Preposition after should be followed by an event that indicates specific point of time i.e. Occurrence. Its awkward to read after there being..riot
Manager
Manager

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 00:36
yes OA is C.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 07:44
umeshpatil wrote:
Jackouille wrote:
yes OA is C.

Hi Jackouille,
Americans became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred

Don't you think the line seems bit awkward? Action in the sentence has happened after 1886 as well as after Riot. Both are connected by comma. When two sentences are connected by when (as conjunction), we don't use comma between them.

umeshpatil,

I am not really seeing it either, are you indicating that the awkwardness occurs that the people only became concerned after the year 1886, which is somewhat bizarre to refer to an event in the scope of an entire year? I feel that the sentence following correctly modifies the year telling the reader what happened that year that made people become concerned with the movement.

Any clarification helps.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:56
umeshpatil wrote:
Jackouille wrote:
yes OA is C.

Hi Jackouille,

thx for your answer but I still don't get the point here. "when the bloody Haymarket occured" modifies the year 1886 so it seems compeltely legit to me. Especially, I don't see why C would correct the problem.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 22

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 11:48
Jackouille wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:
Jackouille wrote:
yes OA is C.

Hi Jackouille,

thx for your answer but I still don't get the point here. "when the bloody Haymarket occured" modifies the year 1886 so it seems compeltely legit to me. Especially, I don't see why C would correct the problem.

The real problem is the intent. If you see the main sentence(A) it says that .............. the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred in 1886 and after that the movement.
B says............... only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred
This gives meaning that ...........movement gets attention when the bloody riot occurred not the original meaning after riot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 05:35
The original sentence states that Americans developed concerns about the movement only after the Riot of 1886. The sentence does not exactly state the year when these concerns developed, it only provides information on the year when the riot occurred

B) became concerned about the movement only after 1886, when the bloody Haymarket Riot occurred :- this option although grammatically correct changes the meaning of the original sentence, in addition to telling when the riots occurred it also tells you when American`s developed concerns

C) became concerned about the movement only after the occurrence of the bloody Haymarket Riot in 1886 :- this option corrects the meaning change in option B, by shifting the preposition in 1886 after occurrence to correctly modify only the occurrence of riots
Director
Director
Followers: 114

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 19:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 81

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 04:01
Darmody wrote:

I am little bit skeptical about the OA...

I chose B..

C luks good too.. bt will any one explain y B is wrong here??

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 50

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 05:40
sanjoo wrote:
I chose B..

C luks good too.. bt will any one explain y B is wrong here??

The riot actually occurred in 1886. But according to B, the riot occurred (at an unspecified time) after 1886.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Re: In the 1870s, small groups of immigrants, many from Eastern   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2014, 05:40