Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.83
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [2]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer [#permalink]
Bookmarks
atalpanditgmat wrote:
In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he already won 4 times.

A. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he already won 4 times. - Correct. Cause - effect described.

B. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocked the tennis world, and won his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he had already won 4 times. This is grammatically correct,h however the meaning gets changed. It says that Nadal does 3 things, beat, shocked and won grand slam. However shocking and winning the grand slam is the result of beating Federer.

C. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocked the tennis world, and he won his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he had already won 4 times. --this is not parallel, verb with clause. So, wont go into detailed reasoning

D. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open, which he had already won 4 times. -- had is something that cannot be used here, because you use had when the two events happend in past has some kind of relation with each other. Here, both are Mutually independent events.

E. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, which shocked the tennis world and gave him his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open, which he had already won 4 times. Again, usage of Had and which is wrong. Roger Fed didn't shock the world.

Answer with explanation will be appreciated....
I do not have an OA, so looking for experts' ideas......

Hi atalpanditgmat,

Answer is Indeed A.

This question effectively describes the importance of understanding Meaning, else you will be confused with the option.

Meaning

This is Cause -Effect
Cause - Nadal Won
Effect - shocked the world and won the first tittle.

Now, check the reasoning above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Send PM
Thank you Guys, I was confused about the tense whether simple past is better or the past perfect in this case....Anyways looking forward for more comments....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
atalpanditgmat wrote:
In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he already won 4 times.

A. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he already won 4 times.

B. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocked the tennis world, and won his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he had already won 4 times.

C. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocked the tennis world, and he won his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he had already won 4 times.

D. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open, which he had already won 4 times.

E. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, which shocked the tennis world and gave him his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open, which he had already won 4 times.

Answer with explanation will be appreciated....
I do not have an OA, so looking for experts' ideas......

Between a & d i picked d.If i am wrong inform me
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open, which he had already won 4 times. -- had is something that cannot be used here, because you use had when the two events happend in past has some kind of relation with each other. Here, both are Mutually independent events.

time sequencing is needed here else how wud i know what happened first ? was it the beating of federer or the fact that nadal won french open .hence D is best bet here
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Choice A for me.
Bet is between D and A. In D there is time sequencing - which is not relevant as both the events are not co related. Also, if we use "had won" we need "shocked" (past perfect with simple past only)- but we have "shocking" which is acting as modifier and not verb. Thus, this choice is incorrect.

Hope I could add 2 cents....:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Found a thread in another forum that says the OA is D...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think ‘already’ alone is not sufficient to decide timeline. There are many correct usages which use both already along with the past perfect.

When Nigeria achieved full independence in 1960 it had already established a federal political structure that consisted of three regions based on the three major population clusters within its borders

We don’t say -- When Nigeria achieved full independence in 1960 it already established a federal political structure
"I had already done the shopping by the time she came home."
We don’t say "I already did the shopping by the time she came home
"I was late for work; by the time I arrived the client had already left."
We don’t say "I was late for work, by the time I arrived the client already left."
I'd visited the city many times before.
We don’t say, I visited the city many times before
So I feel that we do require using the past perfect in this case as done in D. If we go deeper into the meaning, then you may see that it is illogical to limit Rafael’s victory to just four French titles, in which case, his winning becomes a closed chapter. Since it is also likely to be a continuing affair after 2008, we may best use a present perfect – has already won four times- But to use a present perfect in a sentence, where the main clause is in past tense will be blatant shift of tense. Hence it is safe to use had already won’.

P. S; In fact, Rafael won French title for three more years from 2010 through 2012, a feat that included a record seven wins in a decade . The next French title is not even a month away, where his winning may not be as big a news as his losing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM

A. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open title, which he already won 4 times.

D. In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets, shocking the tennis world and winning his first Grand Slam tournament other than the French Open, which he had already won 4 times. Winning the French Open happened before the Wimbledon final (in which Nadal beats Federer). Hence, had + simple past.

Kudos. Gimme. :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Send PM
Thank You Daagh. Every time I go through a question, i wish i could see your explanation because it is convincing. In this case I translated the question in my own language and went for 'D'. I am glad this works soemtime.....
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, This is a veritas question and OA is D.
past perfect is necessary since nadal had already won French Open 4 times before Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in 5 sets in the 2008 Wimbledon final.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [0]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
daagh wrote:
I think ‘already’ alone is not sufficient to decide timeline. There are many correct usages which use both already along with the past perfect.

When Nigeria achieved full independence in 1960 it had already established a federal political structure that consisted of three regions based on the three major population clusters within its borders

We don’t say -- When Nigeria achieved full independence in 1960 it already established a federal political structure
"I had already done the shopping by the time she came home."
We don’t say "I already did the shopping by the time she came home
"I was late for work; by the time I arrived the client had already left."
We don’t say "I was late for work, by the time I arrived the client already left."
I'd visited the city many times before.
We don’t say, I visited the city many times before
So I feel that we do require using the past perfect in this case as done in D. If we go deeper into the meaning, then you may see that it is illogical to limit Rafael’s victory to just four French titles, in which case, his winning becomes a closed chapter. Since it is also likely to be a continuing affair after 2008, we may best use a present perfect – has already won four times- But to use a present perfect in a sentence, where the main clause is in past tense will be blatant shift of tense. Hence it is safe to use had already won’.

P. S; In fact, Rafael won French title for three more years from 2010 through 2012, a feat that included a record seven wins in a decade . The next French title is not even a month away, where his winning may not be as big a news as his losing.

Can you share the method of POE used to eliminate other options?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
In the 2008 Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer [#permalink]
Kudos