Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the Business program at a university, all candidates for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Business Program [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 09:46
i think the answer choice should be E instead of C because
candidates took a seminar on microeconomics must be after 1990 but candidate for applied economics must be after 1994 so if the candidate just joined only program for microeconomics, it should be the years from 1991 till 1994 and the candidate who joined the applied economics should be after 1994 and it should be in 1995
dont know why the answer is C. Can you please give us the explanation of Kaplan?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [2] , given: 376

Re: CR - Business Program [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
imerial wrote:
In the Business program at a university, all candidates for the MBA in International Business who entered the program after 1990 took a seminar on Microeconomics, and all candidates for the MBA in International Business who entered the program after 1994 took a seminar on Applied Economics.

If a student in the Business program described above took a seminar on Microeconomics but did not take a seminar on Applied Economics, which of the following must be true?

A. The student entered the Business program prior to 1995.

B. The student entered the Business program after 1990 and prior to 1995.

C. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1995.

D.If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1991.

E. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program after 1990 and prior to 1995.

This required condition is valid for both C and E:
"If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business".

And we know for sure that "ALL" students after 1994 took Applied Economics. Thus, this student must have entered the program before 1995. Thus, "prior to 1995" is good.

Now, the question is whether he entered the program after 1990 or prior to 1990. The answer is, "We don't know".

Consider this:
"All candidates for the MBA in International Business who entered the program after 1990 took a seminar on Microeconomics"
This statement implies that 100% of the students after 1990 took microeconomics.

But,
Nowhere it is mentioned that NO student (0 student) took microeconomics seminar prior to 1990. May be 1% candidate(some students) took seminar on microeconomics even prior to 1990 AND our friend in the question is 1 of those 1% students.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Business Program [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 20:17
Expert's post
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
i think the answer choice should be E instead of C because
candidates took a seminar on microeconomics must be after 1990 but candidate for applied economics must be after 1994 so if the candidate just joined only program for microeconomics, it should be the years from 1991 till 1994 and the candidate who joined the applied economics should be after 1994 and it should be in 1995
dont know why the answer is C. Can you please give us the explanation of Kaplan?

Hi die,

fluke's explanation is great, and I'm sorry he beat me to it! In the future, don't hesitate to PM me or one of the other Kaplan folks around here--we'll be able to give a much speedier response that way!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Re: CR - Business Program [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 06:36
fluke wrote:
imerial wrote:
In the Business program at a university, all candidates for the MBA in International Business who entered the program after 1990 took a seminar on Microeconomics, and all candidates for the MBA in International Business who entered the program after 1994 took a seminar on Applied Economics.

If a student in the Business program described above took a seminar on Microeconomics but did not take a seminar on Applied Economics, which of the following must be true?

C. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1995.

D.If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1991.

E. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program after 1990 and prior to 1995.

This required condition is valid for both C and E:
"If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business".

And we know for sure that "ALL" students after 1994 took Applied Economics. Thus, this student must have entered the program before 1995. Thus, "prior to 1995" is good.

Now, the question is whether he entered the program after 1990 or prior to 1990. The answer is, "We don't know".

Consider this:
"All candidates for the MBA in International Business who entered the program after 1990 took a seminar on Microeconomics"
This statement implies that 100% of the students after 1990 took microeconomics.

But,
Nowhere it is mentioned that NO student (0 student) took microeconomics seminar prior to 1990. May be 1% candidate(some students) took seminar on microeconomics even prior to 1990 AND our friend in the question is 1 of those 1% students.

Ans: "C"

Hey Fluke
that was brilliant
i seriously doubt that i would think that way in real GMAT
i would fall for E simply :? :? :?
God knows whats gonna happen :( :cry: :cry:

WarLocK

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 8

CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 11:25

The student entered the Business program prior to 1995.
The student entered the Business program after 1990 and prior to 1995.
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1994.
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1991.
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program after 1990 and prior to 1995.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 20

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 11:52
E in my view.

bschool83 wrote:

The student entered the Business program prior to 1995. - not right, student could enter in 1990 or before..
The student entered the Business program after 1990 and prior to 1995. - option doesnt say tht the student is MBA student.
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1994. - same as A
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1991. - easiest option to rule out..
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program after 1990 and prior to 1995. - this is most appropriate - fits the bill that the student is MBA student and entered any from 1991 to 1994
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 288 [2] , given: 11

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
The OA should be (C).

(A): This option does not mention whether the student is an MBA candidate or not. May or may not be true. Incorrect.
(B): Same as (A). Incorrect.
(C): CORRECT. If the student was an MBA candidate and did not take a seminar on Applied Economics, then it is certain that he or she entered the program before 1994, because all candidates entering the program after 1994 took the seminar on Applied Economics. However, this does not mean that the candidate entered the program between 1990 and 1994, because although all candidates who entered after 1990 took the seminar on Microeconomics, it is not true that all candidates who entered the course prior to 1990 did not take the seminar in Microeconomics. This option covers this possibility and is the best answer.
(D): The student could have entered the program anytime prior to 1994. Not accounting for 1991-1994 has no basis. Incorrect.
(E): Misleading and incorrect. See the explanation for option (C) above.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 23:05
damn, tricky q'n. Fell for E but agree with GyanOne's explanation.
Reverse causation almost always beats me.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 08:55
c

Posted from my mobile device Image

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 10:05
Isn't the business program the same as the MBA? If so, then B).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 10:53
agdimple333 wrote:
E in my view.

bschool83 wrote:

The student entered the Business program prior to 1995. - not right, student could enter in 1990 or before..
The student entered the Business program after 1990 and prior to 1995. - option doesnt say tht the student is MBA student.
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1994. - same as A
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1991. - easiest option to rule out..
If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program after 1990 and prior to 1995. - this is most appropriate - fits the bill that the student is MBA student and entered any from 1991 to 1994

E is incorrect. What if prior to 1990 some students took the seminar?

C is true in all conditions.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:28
+1 for E
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Business Program [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:35
+1 for C
Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2603 [0], given: 695

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 16:23
Expert's post
C for sure

A and B ruled out because we are talking about IB in B program at the university

D and E is illogical and not supported by the stimulus

C the students in IB that have followed a course in microeconomics...........then before 1994.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 20:15
Yup..C for me too..

Though selected A first..But now i see that A does not mention the word IB in the B program..Otherwise A and C are almost similar..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 07:50
HI,

I know its bit old but wanted to clear the confusion. I feel for E as well. But somehow still not convinced that C is right. Unless what i have in mind regarding "Must be true" is wrong.

C is a choice which might be true. But for "Must be true" question shouldnt all the choices that might be true are wrong?

thanks
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 00:41
C for me

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 33

Re: CR - 700 level - International Business [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 02:56
Agree with C. Very tricky
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: In the Business program at a university, all candidates for [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 06:58
anandsebastin wrote:

D. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1991.

The answer should be C. Here's why:
A, B eliminated because of the MBA constraint. The Premise says this seminar was for mba candidates only.
So, we're left with C, D, E.
Now, we know from the premise that Applied economy seminars started to be delivered after 1994, so, the student must have entered before 1995 - this is one thing that we can say for sure. - our first deduction
Let's see if we any other thing that we can be sure of too.
We further know from the premise that Micro Economics was taught after 1990 but the premise doesnt say what was taught before that - it could be Micro Economics or anything else. It is possible that Micro Economics & Applied economics were taught alternatively before 1991. So, E we can't be sure of. D is easy to eliminate.
So, we're left with just one thing that can be said for sure is our first deduction i.e. C
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 20:24
No actually. If you read the last three answer choices again, it becomes clear that all of those three are implying this: if the student was a candidate... then the student entered the program, definitively, meaning if you were a candidate, you definitely entered the program, there was no being a candidate and not NOT entering the program. the stimulus, however, doesn't support this; it makes a subtly distinction when it says "all candidates for mba WHO ENTERED the program.." implying that not all candidates made it. so C, D and E don't qualify. Left between A and B. A leaves no left hand side limit to how far back in history you could go and the stimulus doesn't necessarily support that microeconomics was available prior to 1990. B sets the range as discussed on the stimulus and hence has to be the right answer, although i myself got it wrong the first two times i tried.

icandy wrote:
study wrote:

Who is a candidate for MBA in IB? A student who has been admitted and fulfilled the course requirements, not all those who applied.

Stem is talking about candidates for MBA in IB not about MBA in Finance or marketing.

B has broader scope. In other words we only know about candidates for MBA in IB. It is very well possible that a marketing MBA candidate who might have entered the program after 1990 or before 1995 might fit this or might not fit this. We cannot apply it to the entire business program.

Hence E.
Re: CR   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2012, 20:24