Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the Business program at a university, all candidates for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

In the Business program at a university, all candidates for [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 18:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (02:16) correct 41% (01:21) wrong based on 281 sessions
In the Business program at a university, all candidates for the MBA in International Business who entered the program after 1990 took a seminar on Microeconomics, and all candidates for the MBA in International Business who entered the program after 1994 took a seminar on Applied Economics.

If a student in the Business program described above took a seminar on Microeconomics but did not take a seminar on Applied Economics, which of the following must be true?

A. The student entered the Business program prior to 1995.
B. The student entered the Business program after 1990 and prior to 1995.
C. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1994.
D. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1991.
E. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program after 1990 and prior to 1995.

Please explain why it is C.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 713 [1] , given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the Business program at a university [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: In the Business program at a university [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 19:06
Can somebody give better explanation?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the Business program at a university [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 20:52
+1 C

Inside the group of students, there is a subset: the candidates for the MBA in international business.
So, A and B are not clear with that.
Because we don't know in which year the course of microeconomics began to be taught to all students, we cannot infer anything related to D and E.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 249

Re: In the Business program at a university [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 22:09
Expert's post
The crucial factors here are; 1. Students should join a business program in MBA International Business. 2. Prior to 1991, there is no hint that microeconomics was necessary. Prior to 1995 does not mean, it is after 1991.

A. The student entered the Business program prior to 1995…. It could be even before 1991, in which case, he need not have taken even microeconomics. Wrong
B. The student entered the Business program after 1990 and prior to 1995. …. It is just not Business Program; it should be Business Program of MBA in International Business. Wrong
C. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1994…. Prior to 1994 does not imply, the joining was after 1991. So C is gone
D. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1991….. Prior to 1991, there was no need for microeconomics seminar
E. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program after 1990 and prior to 1995. --- Precisely fixes the joining between the two ends; correct choice.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In the Business program at a university [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 22:45
Here goes the explanation:

After 1990 means 1991 onwards and after 1994 means 1995 onwards

1990 ---1991
ME
1994---- 1995
AE

(ME - Microeconomics , AE Applied Eco)
Student took a seminar on ME , so he was there in 1991 but cant be sure about other years , only choice C fits in . Try to fit in the diagram . I got this question wrong first time but was hell bent to solve it next time without looking at explanation

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the Business program at a university [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 11:19
Some of the posts above seem not to capture the logic of the question. The only relevant fact is this: if someone joined the International Business program after 1994, they took Applied Economics. So (taking the contrapositive) if someone didn't take Applied Economics, they didn't join the International Business program after 1994. So the answer is C (though C needs to say 'prior to 1995', and not 'prior to 1994' to be perfectly correct).

All of the detail about Microeconomics is simply irrelevant. It is certainly possible that some International Business students took Microeconomics prior to 1990, which is why E is wrong.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1599 [1] , given: 249

Re: In the Business program at a university [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ian wrote

Quote:
All of the detail about Microeconomics is simply irrelevant. It is certainly possible that some International Business students took Microeconomics prior to 1990, which is why E is wrong.

But the question asks:

Quote:
If a student in the Business program described above took a seminar on Microeconomics but did not take a seminar on Applied Economics, which of the following must be true?

Can we see miss the reference to Microeconomics in the question? On the contrary, the question is not mentioning anything Applied Economics. I think AE is not part of the concern of the question, while ME is very much

Let us look t the temporal order.

Before 1991: neither ME nor AE
1991 to 1194: only ME
1995 onwards: Only AE

Now where can you fix a person with ME? You can’t anywhere other than between 1990 and 1995. That is the reason E prevails.

C. If the student was a candidate for the MBA in International Business, then the student entered the program prior to 1994.
This simply means that if a student took MBA in International business, he should have entered before 1994. Does that imply that the University stopped its program of MBA in International Business after 1994?

C has too many logical holes, while E can be sustaned.

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the Business program at a university [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 22:26
daagh wrote:
Let us look t the temporal order.

Before 1991: neither ME nor AE
1991 to 1194: only ME
1995 onwards: Only AE

Now where can you fix a person with ME? You can’t anywhere other than between 1990 and 1995. That is the reason E prevails.

No, the answer is not E, and the information about Microeconomics is indeed irrelevant. There is nothing at all stated in the question about what courses people took prior to 1991. Maybe they took Microeconomics, maybe they took Applied Ecomonics, maybe they took both or maybe they took neither. You seem to be assuming they took neither - that information is not found anywhere in the question.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the Business program at a university, all candidates for [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 10:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 291

Re: In the Business program at a university, all candidates for [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 02:54
Okay so we have a verbal expert who says its E and we have a GMAT instructor who says it isn't E. So what we do from here?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In the Business program at a university, all candidates for [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 00:01
I chose 'E'.Can someone just help clarify. I somehow feel 'c' is not the correct answer. The lack of consensus between the verbal expert and the gmat tutor has added to my confusion. Someone please help with this!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 480 Q31 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 45

Re: In the Business program at a university, all candidates for [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 20:36
I think E is the correct option.

In option C, it's mentioned the student entered the university prior to 1994.
Case 1 - Say student entered in the year 1992, it satisfies the argument. Hence true.
Case 2 - Say student entered in the year 1988. The argument gets false.

Can someone please post the OE?
Re: In the Business program at a university, all candidates for   [#permalink] 13 May 2014, 20:36