Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians, [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 05:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:05) correct 33% (01:08) wrong based on 19 sessions
In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians, the refusal of each side to acknowledge each other as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem than is any other issue.

a- the refusal of each side to acknowledge each other as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem than

b- that the refusal of each side to acknowledge another as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem as

c- the refusal of each side to acknowledge another as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem than

d- that the refusal of each side to acknowledge each other as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem than

e- the refusal of each side to acknowledge each other as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem as

Edited for clarity 8-)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
I'd go with A.

The clause cant begin with "that", so it brings us down to A, C, E. It has to end with "than", not "as" since there is no as (adj) as clause. This would require the phrase "as close as" which none of them have.

Thus we are down to A and C.

C has "acknowledge another" which is wrong. So its A.

( Actually as far as I'm concerned even " each side to acknowledge each other" is wrong, it should be "each side to acknowledge the other". )

MG
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 05:33
Should be A...

Each Other - When focussing on two things

Each Another - When focussing on more than two...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

SC --> each other x another [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 07:17
ps_dahiya wrote:
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
Should be A...

A for the same reasoning.

A for the same reason.

C is wrong because another is used with more than 2 things, so it would have been "one another" Since only 2 things, we like each other :-D
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: SC --> each other x another [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 07:19
uvs_mba wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
Should be A...

One Another - When focussing on more than two...

A for the same reasoning.

A for the same reason.

C is wrong because another is used with more than 2 things, so it would have been "one another" Since only 2 things, we like each other :-D

Should be one anotherSumit :wink:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 13:03
Matt you pointed right. I got really confused.

one another when we focus on more than 2 things
each other for 2 things.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 21:11
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
Should be A...

Agree with A.

I think this construction would also be correct :

the refusal of each side to acknowledge the other as a legitimate

Any comments ???? :roll:

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 543

Re: In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians, [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 01:10
Can someone please explain this question! Would be grateful if I could get the usage of

The other
another
each other

as the question tests this concept.

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1190 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians, [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone please explain this question! Would be grateful if I could get the usage of

The other
another
each other

In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians, the refusal of each side to acknowledge each other as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem than is any other issue.

The first split, before considering "other, another", is "than" VS "as". Because each sentence uses "closer" => "than" is required. Out B and E
Secondly we can eliminate D, because has a "that" at the beginning. Out D as well

a- the refusal of each side to acknowledge each other as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem than
c- the refusal of each side to acknowledge another as a legitimate national movement is closer to the heart of the problem than

Here is the "each other" VS "another" problem. The solution relies in the meaning of the sentence.
the refusal of each side to acknowledge each other (side)
This expression means that I (side A) refuse to acknowledge side B as legit. The rule of "each" is this one: it limits the "range". The text talks about two sides that refuse to acknowledge each other. Side A with side B and the opposite. In C however
the refusal of each side to acknowledge another (side), here the intended meaning could vary.
I (side A) refuse to acknowledge another side (that could be side B or not). I hope that the expression "limit the range" makes more sense now.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 12

Re: In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians, [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 12:42
fozzzy wrote:

The other
another
each other

each other means they are talking about themselves. No 3rd party involved.

Another adds the ambiguity here. Does it mean they don't recognize a 3rd party or each other ?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians, [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2014, 19:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the conflict between the israelis and the palestinians,   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2014, 19:39