Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2131 [119]
Given Kudos: 193
 Q29  V6 GMAT 3: 430  Q31  V19
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618703 [57]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [4]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2131 [2]
Given Kudos: 193
 Q29  V6 GMAT 3: 430  Q31  V19
Send PM
Re: Rectangular region [#permalink]
Bookmarks
i took that y intercept 3 to be greater than x all coordinates and divided by 12 and got 1/4. which is completely wrong. and according to your solution in that yellow region every point is greater than x not just only y intercept. Great.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618703 [2]
Send PM
Re: In the coordinate plane, rectangular region R has vertices a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: HEC Dec"18
GMAT Date: 02-04-2014
Send PM
Kudos
shrive555 wrote:
In the coordinate plane, rectangular region R has vertices at (0,0), (0,3), (4,3), and (4,0). If a point in region R is randomly selected, what is the probability that the point's y-coordinate will be greater than its x-coordinate?

A. 7/12
B. 5/12
C. 3/8
D. 1/3
E. 1/4

there is no better solution than this

compute the area above y=x line and below y=x line and then proceed to finding probability
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AKG1593 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62

I calculated that the no. of points in the region including the boundaries of the rectangle=\(16\).
Out of that \(6\) points [for \(6\) ordered pairs-\((0,1),(0,2),(0,3),(1,2),(1,3)\) and \((2,3)\)],will have \(x\) coordinate less than \(y\) coordinate.
So probability=\(6/16=3/8\)
Isn't this approach right?

No, this approach is not right. A point has no dimension, hence there are infinitely many points in any area/segment. The problem with your solution is that you assume that the coordinates must be integers, which is nowhere given.

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
m3equals333 wrote:
Hi Bunuel...I came across this question and kept getting caught up by the y=x line.

If we calculate the isoc triangle's area, wouldn't this include all points on the y=x line (on which y is not > x)?

A line has no area, hence there won't be any difference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

I calculated that the no. of points in the region including the boundaries of the rectangle=\(16\).
Out of that \(6\) points [for \(6\) ordered pairs-\((0,1),(0,2),(0,3),(1,2),(1,3)\) and \((2,3)\)],will have \(x\) coordinate less than \(y\) coordinate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
In the coordinate plane, rectangular region R has vertices a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
In the coordinate plane, rectangular region R has vertices at (0,0), (0,3), (4,3), and (4,0). If a point in region R is randomly selected, what is the probability that the point's y-coordinate will be greater than its x-coordinate?

7/12
5/12
3/8
1/3
1/4

Now, rectangle R has an area of 3*4=12. All point that has y-coordinate greater than x-coordinate lie above the line \(y=x\), so in yellow triangle, which has an area of 1/2*3*3=4.5. So, the probability equals to favorable outcomes/total=yellow triangle/rectangle R=4.5/12=3/8.

Answer: C.

I do not understand or cannot recalculate the 1/2*3*3=4.5. How did you get 1/2 as other side?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Kudos
shrive555 wrote:

A. 7/12
B. 5/12
C. 3/8
D. 1/3
E. 1/4

Area of the rectangle = 12

Area of the region where y>x = 1/2*3*3

Therefore the required probability = 9/24 = 3/8

Thererfore IMO C
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

:) I think Bunuel's above explanation is most illuminating and detailed; I do not find any alternate way for the explanation. +1 for that great solution.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel...I came across this question and kept getting caught up by the y=x line.

If we calculate the isoc triangle's area, wouldn't this include all points on the y=x line (on which y is not > x)?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
ah ha, that clears it up, thanks a bunch
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
AKG1593 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

No, this approach is not right. A point has no dimension, hence there are infinitely many points in any area/segment. The problem with your solution is that you assume that the coordinates must be integers, which is nowhere given.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Brunei,

How the rectangle has 16 points (if we calculate the borders ). Isn't it should be 20 . e.g (0,0),(1,0),(2,0),(3,0),(4,0).
5 points in 1 row and 4 rows all together 5*4 = 20 . Am I missing something ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618703 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ganganshu wrote:
Hi Brunei,

How the rectangle has 16 points (if we calculate the borders ). Isn't it should be 20 . e.g (0,0),(1,0),(2,0),(3,0),(4,0).

I don't understand why are you concerned about the number of points? The solution talks about the area...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Ganganshu wrote:
Hi Brunei,

I don't understand why are you concerned about the number of points? The solution talks about the area...

Brunei ,

I didnot get your point(in earlier quote) why calculating points is wrong (I know we get an incorrect answer ). Isn't Probability = No of successes(condition)/ Total no of outcomes and if we go by points arenot we just following it .
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618703 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ganganshu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Ganganshu wrote:
Hi Brunei,

Brunei ,

I didnot get your point(in earlier quote) why calculating points is wrong (I know we get an incorrect answer ). Isn't Probability = No of successes(condition)/ Total no of outcomes and if we go by points arenot we just following it .

(Probability) = (Favorable outcomes)/(Total) = (The area of yellow triangle)/(The area of the rectangle). Notice that we have an area there no the number of poiint whose coordinates are integers only.

Check other Probability and Geometry questions in our Special Questions Directory.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Narenn wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

:) I think Bunuel's above explanation is most illuminating and detailed; I do not find any alternate way for the explanation. +1 for that great solution.

I did graph the region correctly. However, when I looked at the region I thought the selected region is slightly less than half.

However, the answer choices are quite close. So you have to calculate the area, no choice.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
the big Trap to avoid is to remember that the Coordinates do NOT have to Be Integers.

After plotting the Points, you have a Rectangle with Length = 4 Units and Width = 3 Units

the Line given by the Equation: y = x ---- will have the X-Coord. EQUAL to the Y-Coord. on every Space on that Line

Every Coordinate Point ABOVE the Line y = x will have a Y-Coord. that is GREATER than the X-Coord.

So basically we are looking for the following:

(Area of the Region that is Y > X but INSIDE the Rectangle) / (Entire Rectangular Region) = Probability that a given Coordinate will have its Y-Coordinate Greater than its X-Coordinate

the Line y = x will come through Vertex (0 , 0) and pass through Point (3, 3) on the TOP Length of the Rectangle.

the Area above this line but Inside Region R of the Rectangle will be Defined by the Right Triangle with the following Vertices: (0 , 0) ; (0 , 3) ; (3, 3)

Area of the Right Triangle = 1/2 * 3 * 3 = 9/2

Area of the Entire Rectangular Region R = 4 * 3 = 12

Probability = (9/2) / (12) = 9/24 = 3/8

-C-
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts