Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 46

Re: In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 15:29
This post received
KUDOS
betterscore wrote:
In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad economic recession has included a business downturn in the clothing trade, where sales are down by about 7 percent as compared to two years ago. Clothing wholesalers have found, however, that the proportion of credit extended to retailers that was paid off on time fell sharply in the first year of the recession but returned to its prerecession level in the second year.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the change between the first and the second year of the recession in the proportion of credit not paid off on time?

(A) The total amount of credit extended to retailers by clothing wholesalers increased between the first year of the recession and the second year.
(B) Between the first and second years of the recession, clothing retailers in Veltria saw many of their costs, rent and utilities in particular, increase.
(C) Of the considerable number of clothing retailers in Veltria who were having financial difficulties before the start of the recession, virtually all were forced to go out of business during its first year.
(D) Clothing retailers in Veltria attempted to stimulate sales in the second year of the recession by discounting merchandise.
(E) Relatively recession-proof segments of the clothing trade, such as work clothes, did not suffer any decrease in sales during the first year of the recession.

Pls check the detail discussion in below link -
in-the-country-of-veltria-the-past-two-years-broad-87525.html?fl=similar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 01:02
what about A? the argument is on proportion. Retired/total credit: If total increased between year one year two, the ratio would decrease in the first year. Infact, donot know about the second year. Need help on this
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 00:37
I also go to c but spend a lot of time , nearly 3 minutes.

the reason for time consumingness is

the answer choices are long and are time consuming.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 21:40
Hi everybody, I have seen following question on many threads but what I want is to understand the later part of this question. The part which is in bold is difficult for me to understand. Can anybody put it in layman/simple English. Thank you.

In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad economic recession has included a business downturn in the clothing trade, where sales are down by about 7 percent as compared to two years ago. Clothing wholesalers have found, however, that the proportion of credit extended to retailers that was paid off on time fell sharply in the first year of the recession but returned to its prerecession level in the second year.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the change between the first and the second year of the recession in the proportion of credit not paid off on time?

(A) The total amount of credit extended to retailers by clothing wholesalers increased between the first year of the recession and the second year.
(B) Between the first and second years of the recession, clothing retailers in Veltria saw many of their costs, rent and utilities in particular, increase.
(C) Of the considerable number of clothing retailers in Veltria who were having financial difficulties before the start of the recession, virtually all were forced to go out of business during its first year.
(D) Clothing retailers in Veltria attempted to stimulate sales in the second year of the recession by discounting merchandise.
(E) Relatively recession-proof segments of the clothing trade, such as work clothes, did not suffer any decrease in sales during the first year of the recession.

Last edited by Zarrolou on 04 Aug 2013, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 611 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 21:57
Clothing wholesalers have found, however, that the proportion of credit extended to retailers that was paid off on timefell sharply in the first year of the recession but returned to its prerecession level in the second year.

let say there were 4 retailers
total revenue from all 4 let say = 100 (assume 25 from each)
now recession came now revenue dropped to 50 in first year ( assume 12.5 from each)===>so this is the proportion of credit which dropped from 25 to 12.5
now it says in second year proportion came back to normal i.e =25
now how is that possible.
let say 2 retailers close their shop so we have 2 retailer left and demand in recession is of 50 which can be equally divided between 2 i,e it will come to normal of 50...==>now this is what correct option (C) says.

hope this helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '16
GMAT Date: 08-31-2013

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 21

Re: In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
I would confess this question stumped me initially but it's a sheer beauty how the question is crafted with creating substantial confusion (to process in less than 2 mins :) ). Explanation-

1st year of recession
100 units of credit was offered similar to 10 retailers (10 units each)
5 poor performers were able to pay back 5 unit each and
5 good performers returned 8 units each (its recession after all :wink: )
total credit recovered = 5 x 5 + 5 x 8 = 65
proportion = (total credit recovered) / (total credit given) = 65 / 100 = 0.65

2nd year of recession
poor performers out of business :(
Since only 5 players remain, credit extended this year itself will reduce (10 units each) = 50 units
5 good performers returned 7 units each (again considering scenario that even good performers had bad time)
total credit recovered = 5 x 7 = 35
proportion = (total credit recovered) / (total credit given) = 35 / 50 = 0.70

The point to be noted here is that choice C does the trick of reducing the denominator considerably (people are out of business) by stating the basis to be "proportion" instead of actual amount. So, even though the actual amount recovered 2nd year is far less due to recession (35 against 65) than the 1st year, the proportion recovered increases.

I hope this adds some value.

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 08:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2014, 01:01
The explanation by KeepingUp is awesome.
Here is some more info.
Attachments

a33.JPG
a33.JPG [ 73.83 KiB | Viewed 139 times ]

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2014, 11:57

ok, so in first year, a lot of companies went bankrupt, hence the proportion of credit that was paid off fell. As a result, only big/financially stable companies remained in the business. These company could pay in time so therefore in the second year, the PROPORTION was not that low as in first year.

that's how I got to the C, although I chose D first time.
Re: In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2014, 11:57