Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 14

In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:38) correct 37% (01:52) wrong based on 705 sessions
In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad economic recession has included a business downturn in the clothing trade, where sales are down by about 7 percent as compared to two years ago. Clothing wholesalers have found, however, that the proportion of credit extended to retailers that was paid off on time fell sharply in the first year of the recession but returned to its prerecession level in the second year.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the change between the first and the second year of the recession in the proportion of credit not paid off on time?

(A) The total amount of credit extended to retailers by clothing wholesalers increased between the first year of the recession and the second year.
(B) Between the first and second years of the recession, clothing retailers in Veltria saw many of their costs, rent and utilities in particular, increase.
(C) Of the considerable number of clothing retailers in Veltria who were having financial difficulties before the start of the recession, virtually all were forced to go out of business during its first year.
(D) Clothing retailers in Veltria attempted to stimulate sales in the second year of the recession by discounting merchandise.
(E) Relatively recession-proof segments of the clothing trade, such as work clothes, did not suffer any decrease in sales during the first year of the recession.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 04 Aug 2013, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 11:33
The stimulus is a bit confusing but I think they're saying that people paid less debt in Year 1 than in Year 2. So the answer should be something about Year 2 being better economically than Year 1.

I don't see how extending more credit in Year 2 (A) would make retailers pay back more debt.

(B) means more expenses for retailers in Year 2, so this can't be right.

If they went bankrupt, why would they pay more debt back (C)?

(E) makes Year 1 seem better but less people paid debt then...

I'm going with (D) - they paid off debt in Year 2 by selling merchandise at a discount (dumping inventory).

Whatya all think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 14

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 11:54
johnnymac wrote:
The stimulus is a bit confusing but I think they're saying that people paid less debt in Year 1 than in Year 2. So the answer should be something about Year 2 being better economically than Year 1.

I don't see how extending more credit in Year 2 (A) would make retailers pay back more debt.

(B) means more expenses for retailers in Year 2, so this can't be right.

If they went bankrupt, why would they pay more debt back (C)?

(E) makes Year 1 seem better but less people paid debt then...

I'm going with (D) - they paid off debt in Year 2 by selling merchandise at a discount (dumping inventory).

Whatya all think?

I marked E... but its not the correct ans.. , even D is not the correct one
I am just waiting for some more responses and then will reveal the OA
9 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC,Paris
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [9] , given: 0

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
ok,i must admit one thing, i have arrived at C purely on the basis of aggressive elimination strategy . so i am not really sure. :?

nevertheless i will try to explain my reasoning.

the premise is that there was a recession that affected sales. given timeline is 2 years. now there seems to be an ongoing tradition of credit between the wholesalers and retailers. this relationship suffered a bit in the first year but it was back on track in the second.
so on to the choices:

A: more credit extended between years 1 and 2 is irrelevant to the repayment. so OUT.
B:If costs for retailers increased during year 2, then how can they repay more? so OUT.
D: the retailers ATTEMPTED to increase sales by discounting. but were they any good at raising money to repay loans? not very clear ... so OUT.
E: if recession did not affect some divisions... er... so what? can't find any connection.. so out

last option: C..... bankruptcy for competitiors meant less competition. so the survivors found more customers who bought their stuff. hence they raised money and repaid in the 2nd year.

what is the OA?
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [2] , given: 14

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
nitronori41 wrote:
ok,i must admit one thing, i have arrived at C purely on the basis of aggressive elimination strategy . so i am not really sure. :?

nevertheless i will try to explain my reasoning.

the premise is that there was a recession that affected sales. given timeline is 2 years. now there seems to be an ongoing tradition of credit between the wholesalers and retailers. this relationship suffered a bit in the first year but it was back on track in the second.
so on to the choices:

A: more credit extended between years 1 and 2 is irrelevant to the repayment. so OUT.
B:If costs for retailers increased during year 2, then how can they repay more? so OUT.
D: the retailers ATTEMPTED to increase sales by discounting. but were they any good at raising money to repay loans? not very clear ... so OUT.
E: if recession did not affect some divisions... er... so what? can't find any connection.. so out

last option: C..... bankruptcy for competitiors meant less competition. so the survivors found more customers who bought their stuff. hence they raised money and repaid in the 2nd year.

what is the OA?

nice explanation yes the OA is C
here's your first kudo :-D
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 09:25
Answer has to be C.

The only option that can solve the discrepancy of retailers were able to pay off the credit to the wholesalers.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 10:25
Looking at it now, C makes sense.

I guess I was overthinking and considering whether bankrupt companies would be considered defaulting on their debts. I understand your logi c to be: if a bunch of the companies don't exist anymore, the leftover companies are more likely to pay the money back - and that make sense.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 40

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 00:48
I usually come up with 1-2 reasons to support my answer but for this question, I was really stumped. But, yes I was hovering over less available profits/finanaces for these defaulters.

As I am managing my retail business, thie helped me to reach C by PoE :-D

I hope GMAT would be nice to me on D-day.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 00:49
IMO C.

A) Credit extended to retailers increased. it doesn't say anything about how much the retailers returned.

B)if the prices increased, the retailers should have had difficulty returning the credit.

C)Correct. Since the retailers with financial difficulties are out of business, the remaining ones could easily pay off their debt. This explains why credit extended to retailers that was paid off on time fell in the first year of the recession but returned to its prerecession level in the second year.

D)Attempted: not sure if they could really do it.

E) out of scope.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.89

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 25

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 06:57
I think the explanation give for answer choice C is far fetched. It says considerable number for vendor ran out of business. But that dose not give us the liberty to presume that remain did good business.
While choice D leaves no room for assumptions. Explains both part year one and year two

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 51

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 06:02
Of the considerable number of clothing retailers
in Veltria who were having financial difficulties
before the start of the recession, virtually all
were forced to go out of business during its
first year.

these retailers who were having financial difficulties were more likely to default on credit. so they defaulted in first year of recession and went out of business. which also means credit in the second year was extended to only those remaining in business.
the remaining were not having financial difficulties so they stayed in business and managed to pay credit by the end of second year.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 20:19
Stumped initially but somehow managed to select C.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 09:26
Can someone please explain why C is better than D?

C assumes that retailers will gain if competitors go out of business. Is this a valid assumption given the broad economic recession?

Also, C does not indicate the percentage of businessmen who had financial difficulties.

I am leaning more towards D, although it is not clear if the attempt made by retailers was fruitful.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 15

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
gmat1112 wrote:
Can someone please explain why C is better than D?

C assumes that retailers will gain if competitors go out of business. Is this a valid assumption given the broad economic recession?

I don't see the above assumption in C. All C tries to say is that a large proportion of retailers were having financial difficulties before the start of recession; these retailers went out of business in the first year. Now, the assumption that I do see is, these people who had financial difficulties before the start of recession are likely to have missed their dues to the creditors during the first year. Thus, those who had financial difficulties ( further burdened by the recession ) during the first year could have been the reason for the unusual percentage of credit defaults. Once they were out of business, the proportion of debts that were payed off returned to prerecession levels.

gmat1112 wrote:
Also, C does not indicate the percentage of businessmen who had financial difficulties.

C does indicate the percentage of businessmen who had financial difficulties before recession. The lines "Of the considerable number of clothing retailers in Veltria who were having financial difficulties before the start of the recession, virtually all were forced" indicate a relatively large proportion.

gmat1112 wrote:
I am leaning more towards D, although it is not clear if the attempt made by retailers was fruitful.

Even if the retailer's efforts as described by D were to be successful, considering the recession, there is no reason to think that their profit margins will be enough to payback the creditors. This further weakens D.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 23:39
+1 for C.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 12:28
Great explanation, DexDee. Thank you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:16
^ Glad I can help :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 09:36
"C"

After elemination left with C :-D

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In the country of Veltria [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 13:31
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 0

In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 09:55
In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad economic recession has included a business downturn in the clothing trade, where sales are down by about 7 percent as compared to two years ago. Clothing wholesalers have found, however, that the proportion of credit extended to retailers that was paid off on time fell sharply in the first year of the recession but returned to its prerecession level in the second year.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the change between the first and the second year of the recession in the proportion of credit not paid off on time?

(A) The total amount of credit extended to retailers by clothing wholesalers increased between the first year of the recession and the second year.
(B) Between the first and second years of the recession, clothing retailers in Veltria saw many of their costs, rent and utilities in particular, increase.
(C) Of the considerable number of clothing retailers in Veltria who were having financial difficulties before the start of the recession, virtually all were forced to go out of business during its first year.
(D) Clothing retailers in Veltria attempted to stimulate sales in the second year of the recession by discounting merchandise.
(E) Relatively recession-proof segments of the clothing trade, such as work clothes, did not suffer any decrease in sales during the first year of the recession.
In the country of Veltria, the past two years' broad   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2012, 09:55