Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [124]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64896 [23]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [12]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [4]
Send PM
Re: In the course of her researches, a historian recently found two docume [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Clear winner C.

Covers both the following possiblities.

1) The document was written before he was arrested.
2) The document was writtedn after his arrest.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [6]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Re: In the course of her researches, a historian recently found two docume [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Clear C. Its more of quant than verbal. :-D :-D

Max year when the undated was written = 1739 + 20 = 1759
Min year when the undated was written = 1739 -20 = 1719
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1720 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
OA is C .

As you have mentioned :
Premise1: H found 2 documents about E.
Premise2: 1st document, dated May 3, 1739, is a record of E arrest for peddling without a license.
Premise3: 2nd document, undated, is a statement by E asserting that he has been peddling off and on for 20 years.

so , if 1739 was the 1st time Erich Schnitzler was cycling, the the second document would be from 1759, which is before 1765. And if 1739 was not the 1st time Erich Schnitzler was cycling , then definately the the second document would be before 1759.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
The information presented above can have 2 possible scenarios as detailed below -

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 6.52 KiB | Viewed 32467 times ]

Hence we can confidently claim only statement (C) that

The undated document was written before 1765

Hence IMHO with answer (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [3]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ajit257 wrote:
. In the course of her researches, a historian recently
found two documents mentioning the same person,
Erich Schnitzler. One, dated May 3, 1739, is a
record of Schnitzler’s arrest for peddling without a
license. The second, undated, is a statement by
Schnitzler asserting that he has been peddling off
and on for 20 years.

The facts above best support which of the following
conclusions?
(A) Schnitzler started peddling around 1719.
(B) Schnitzler was arrested repeatedly for peddling.
(C) The undated document was written before 1765.
(D) The arrest record was written after the undated
document.
(E) The arrest record provides better evidence that
Schnitzler peddled than does the undated
document.

not convinced by the ans. can someone explain this.

Actually I marked the answer choice E, But after closely reading the stimulus again .

Answer choice C is the best conclusion we can make .

1) The dated doc was written in 1739 .

2) Undated says ES is paddling from last 20 years .

If you combine 1 and 2 . the extreme case is ES started in 1739 and after 20 years in 1759 undated doc is written .

Thus we can easily conclude that undated doc is written before 1765 .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi daagh sir, VeritasKarishma
Need help here. I marked E as it was the best of the lot.
Quote:
(C) The undated document was written before 1765.

I neglected C because before 1765 means 1764,1763 for which the argument will not hold true.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I am not sure whether E is correct or not. However, to me, C doesn't seem to be having the logical sanctity. See, he was arrested in 1739 and C says that 26 years later he claimed that he had been peddling for 20 years. Where did he do that peddling after he was arrested? Did he do it inside the prison?
On the other hand, was he referring to the peddling before his arrest? Then he would not have used a past perfect tense saying that he had had been peddling for 20 years. He would have said in a simple past that he peddled for 20 years before he was arrested in 1739. This he could have said just within a few days of his arrest. Why would he have to wait for 26 years?

Secondly, what is the sanctity of the year 1765? For all that, one can even say that the second document was written in 1800, for which also all the answers will hold good.

Therefore, I find it hard to gulp C as the conclusion.

However, the anti-climax is that this is an official question and our intuitions may be faulty.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Kudos
A. If 1739 May 3 was his first day then this is not true
B. If the undated statement was made in connection with the arrest made in 1739 then this cannot be the conclusion
C. Since in the undated document says '20 years' and in 1739 he WAS arrested for peddling.. even if we consider that 1739 was his first time peddling...at the most the undated document could have been written in 1759, much less than 1765
D. The arrest record might be written before also.. because there is a gap of 20 years max
E. Both are equal evidence that Schnitzler used to peddle

So I will go with C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Finance, Other
Send PM
In the course of her researches, a historian recently found two docume [#permalink]
Kudos
AjiteshArun - Would request you to share your thoughts on this question.

The correct answer is C but I am slightly confused because I am unable to understand why the undated document would have been written before 1765. I was initially confused between C and D. I did not select D because I don't know what is the timeline. It can very well be before or after he got arrested. Why I picked C? Because I had no other option which looked better and doing some quick math +(-)20 to 1719, this choice looked ok but I haven't understood the logic behind the choice because the following situation can also be true:

For instance- He got arrested on May 3, 1739. Assuming he was in jail for 10 years until 1749 and then after 20 years, in 1769, he made a statement that he had been peddling off and on for 20 years. So how can we say with surety that the undated document was written before 1765.

Thank you :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
In the course of her researches, a historian recently found two docume [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sonia0106 wrote:
AjiteshArun - Would request you to share your thoughts on this question.

The correct answer is C but I am slightly confused because I am unable to understand why the undated document would have been written before 1765. I was initially confused between C and D. I did not select D because I don't know what is the timeline. It can very well be before or after he got arrested. Why I picked C? Because I had no other option which looked better and doing some quick math +(-)20 to 1719, this choice looked ok but I haven't understood the logic behind the choice because the following situation can also be true:

For instance- He got arrested on May 3, 1739. Assuming he was in jail for 10 years until 1749 and then after 20 years, in 1769, he made a statement that he had been peddling off and on for 20 years. So how can we say with surety that the undated document was written before 1765.

Thank you :)

Hi Sonia0106,

There are a couple of things we should look at here:

1. This is an inference question (it is not the more specific "must be true" type). Here is the stem:

keyV wrote:
The facts above best support which of the following conclusions?

Effectively, the question asks us for the most likely inference.

2. Your reasoning is absolutely correct. We can't be sure that the undated document was written before 1765, as the record of arrest or the statement (or both) could be false. But your other point is also correct: there is no better option.

Moreover, the question doesn't need us to be sure [point(1)]. It says "The facts above best support which of the following conclusions". Now, the facts given to us don't give us any reason to think that either the record of arrest or the statement is false. So we look at the five options, find that C is the best of them, and therefore pick C. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Understanding the argument - We have two premises
1. One document dated May 3, 1739, regarding Erich Schnitzler's (ES's) arrest for peddling without a license.
2. The undated statement: ES said he has been peddling for 20 years.

Option Elimination

(A) Schnitzler started peddling around 1719. - If he says the 2nd statement on the same day, it's right. But what about when he said the 2nd statement? Maybe he was given a warning five years back, but he didn't stop it, and finally, he got arrested in 1739; in that case, it's not true. So, it may or may not be true. We need to find "must be true" based on the inference. Such might be true options are wrong on inference.
(B) Schnitzler was arrested repeatedly for peddling. - We don't know from the argument. Maybe or maybe not. Wrong.
(C) The undated document was written before 1765. - There is nothing in the argument that contradicts it. Even if we add 20 years to 1739, it's still before 1765. So this is ok.
(D) The arrest record was written after the undated document. - We don't know from the argument. Maybe or maybe not. Wrong.
(E) The arrest record provides better evidence that Schnitzler peddled than the undated document. - We don't know from the argument. Maybe or maybe not. Wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts