Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618955 [22]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618955 [8]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
In the diagram, JKLM is a square, and P is the midpoint of KL. Is JQM [#permalink]
Kudos
I think C

(1) Angle KPQ = 90° => There are many points which satisfy this conditions, i mean it lies on the lines which is the perpendicular with JM and pass on the midpont of JM => Insufficient
(2) Angle JQP = 150° => Also, there are many points satisfy this conditions, i mean it lies on the circular => Insufficient

Combine (1) (2) => Q is the intersect between the lines in (1) and the circLE in (2)

=> answer: C

Originally posted by camlan1990 on 18 Mar 2015, 20:06.
Last edited by camlan1990 on 19 Mar 2015, 05:34, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
In the diagram, JKLM is a square, and P is the midpoint of KL. Is JQM [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
The attachment ghdmpp_img5.png is no longer available
In the diagram, JKLM is a square, and P is the midpoint of KL. Is JQM an equilateral triangle?

(1) Angle KPQ = 90°
(2) Angle JQP = 150°

Kudos for a correct solution.

attached image for my solution to this problem .

minor correction , Corrected the angle names..
Attachments

gmatclub.jpg
gmatclub.jpg [ 147.69 KiB | Viewed 14119 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: In the diagram, JKLM is a square, and P is the midpoint of KL. Is JQM [#permalink]
Kudos
(1) INSUFFICIENT- only with KPQ= 90 and no information about length of PQ. if PQ increases then JQM increases. so we need additional information.
(2) INSUFFICIENT- PQJ= 150. but no information whether JK || PQ or not. So with P being the mid point and KPQ \(\neq{90}\), PQJ can be 150. We need additional information.

Considering both

KPQ= 90 & PQJ= 150

=>KJP= 30=>QJM=60. same way it can be shown that JMQ= 60. ultimately JQM=60.
Hence JQM= equilateral.

Ans- C.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: In the diagram, JKLM is a square, and P is the midpoint of KL. Is JQM [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
ghdmpp_img5.png
In the diagram, JKLM is a square, and P is the midpoint of KL. Is JQM an equilateral triangle?

(1) Angle KPQ = 90°
(2) Angle JQP = 150°

Kudos for a correct solution.

Original Statement says P is midpoint of KL, so we can say some mirror image of P on JM must be a midpoint too.
To prove it an equilateral triangle, we need to find atleast one angle or 3 sides.

1) Ang KPQ=90 => PQ, if extended, will meet the JM at the mirrored midpoint, bisecting the base of the triangle in 2. This is a property of isosceles & equilateral triangles. --> NOT SUFFICIENT
2) Ang JQP=150 => No information regarding angles of triangle or sides --> NOT SUFFICIENT

1) & 2)
When PQ is extended, it forms 180degs (say PQS) => Ang JQS=AngPQS-AngJQP=30; Similarly, AngMQS=30 => Ang JQM=60

Hence C :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Fairly straightforward.

KPQJ is a quadrilateral hence the sum of interior angles must equal 360. Likewise, the triangle's interior angles must equal 180.

A says KPQ is 90. Clearly this is insufficient by itself as it means nothing
B says JPQ is 150 which means half of angles Q must be 30 as it forms a straight line with P; hence, Q is 60. Just because Q is 60 does not mean the remaining 2 interior angles of the triangle are 60. Insufficient.

Combining both:
We know JPQ is 150 and KPQ is 90. We also know all interior angles of a square connecting 2 sides is 90. Hence, angles J and K are 90 each. Regardless, K + P + Q + J = 360. We know from above K = 90, P = 90, PQJ = 150; hence, J outside of triangle is 360 - 330 = 30. Since whole of J is 90, 90-30 = 60. 2 angles = 60 --> third angle is 60.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
In this question on squares, it’s very easy to get into the trap of assuming that KP and PQ are perpendicular to each other, because they LOOK LIKE. Remember that it is not mentioned in the question and therefore cannot be assumed to be true.

A point to note on Geometry questions on GMAT Quant is to not trust the figure to be to scale.

If JQM is an equilateral triangle, angle JQM = angle QJM = angle QMJ = 60 degrees.

From statement I alone, angle KPQ = 90 degrees. Only now can we say that KP is perpendicular to PQ. However, this is all we can say. We do not have any information about angles PQJ or PQM.

If PQJ = 150 degrees and PQM = 150 degrees, then angle JQM = 60 degrees; also, angle QJK = angle QML = 30 degrees. Therefore, angle QJM = angle QMJ = 60 degrees. In this case, triangle JQM is an equilateral triangle.

If PQJ = 140 degrees and PQM = 140 degrees, then angle JQM = 80 degrees; also, angle QJK = angle QML = 40 degrees. Therefore, angle QJM = angle QMJ = 50 degrees. In this case, triangle JQM is NOT an equilateral triangle.

Statement I alone is insufficient. Answer options A and D can be eliminated, possible answer options are B, C or E.

From statement II alone, we know that angle JQP = 150 degree. But, we do not know if angle KPQ is a right angle. Therefore, we would not be able to find out the exact value of the other angles in diagram.
Statement II alone is insufficient. Answer option B can be eliminated. Possible answer options are C or E.

Combining statements I and II, we see that angle KPQ = 90 degree and angle PQJ = 150 degree. This is a case we already took while evaluating statement I, and in doing so, we understood that this case will make triangle JQM an equilateral triangle. The combination of statements is sufficient.

The correct answer option is C.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
This is a not drawn to scale on steroids.

Statement I - Not suff. because it you still don't know the how far down PQ goes. which would affect the lengths of JQ and MQ. It could, and it couldn't not be equal.

Statement II - Not suff because even if you know that's 150 degrees you are without that 90 degree certainty from statement I and thus the two sides could be equal - but could not be also.

Putting them together you know if PQ is 90 degrees and JQP is 150 then the other two angles must be 90 and 30 since it makes a trap. and it has to add to 360 degrees. Well it says it's a square and you know KJM is 90 and tht KJQ is 90 so QJM must be 60 degrees. But if PQ is 90 degrees then you know each side is equal so LMX is also 60 degress. That leaves 60 degrees for JQM and you can for sure say this bad boy is an equilateral triangle.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts