Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [17]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1283 [3]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: In the early 1960s, Myanmar was the richest country in Asia, [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
In the early 1960s, Myanmar was the richest country in Asia, but then it closed its economy to the outside world and is now the poorest country in the region. However, Myanmar is now opening up its economy to the outside world once again, and so will soon regain its former glory. Thus it makes sense for smart investors to invest in Myanmar.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) A closed economy will rapidly deplete the financial resources of a country Irrelevant

(B) The countries that dealt with Myanmar in 1962 will still be interested in dealing with it What if other countries are now interested?

(C) If Myanmar does not open up its economy to the outside world, it will continue to remain poor. Irrelevant

(D) The severe internal unrest that has continued in Myanmar for the last several years is not responsible for its current financial state. The current financial state is not important. We are interested in the past glory and the potentially futurenglory

(E) At least some smart investors are currently aware of Myanmar’s past glory

If Myianmar opens its economy , it will regain its past glory. In order for this to happen, there must be some smart investors who are aware of the country's past glory. Therefore, answer E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Thus it makes sense for smart investors to invest in Myanmar.--Conclusion
(E) At least some smart investors are currently aware of Myanmar’s past glory--Correct
If they don't aware of past glory then they won't invest at all in Myanmar. If they don't invest then Myanmar will remain the poor country even if they open their economy to outer world.

Castigate me If i went wrong....

Rgds
Prasannajeet
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
carcass wrote:
In the early 1960s, Myanmar was the richest country in Asia, but then it closed its economy to the outside world and is now the poorest country in the region. However, Myanmar is now opening up its economy to the outside world once again, and so will soon regain its former glory. Thus it makes sense for smart investors to invest in Myanmar.

(A) A closed economy will rapidly deplete the financial resources of a country

(B) The countries that dealt with Myanmar in 1962 will still be interested in dealing with it

(C) If Myanmar does not open up its economy to the outside world, it will continue to remain poor.

(D) The severe internal unrest that has continued in Myanmar for the last several years is not responsible for its current financial state.

Since its asking for assumption..

My take is A.

Author is assuming that the economy fell only because the country closed its economy for outside world and will regain it once it opens again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
anish123ster wrote:
carcass wrote:

(B) The countries that dealt with Myanmar in 1962 will still be interested in dealing with it

(C) If Myanmar does not open up its economy to the outside world, it will continue to remain poor.

(D) The severe internal unrest that has continued in Myanmar for the last several years is not responsible for its current financial state.

Since its asking for assumption..

My take is A.

Author is assuming that the economy fell only because the country closed its economy for outside world and will regain it once it opens again.

In an assumption question we can get the answer by negating answer choice.The negated answer choice that attacks the argument will be the correct answer.In this argument

Premises : In the early 1960s, Myanmar was the richest country in Asia, but then it closed its economy to the outside world and is now the poorest country in the region.

Counter Premises: However, Myanmar is now opening up its economy to the outside world once again, and so will soon regain its former glory.

Conclusion :Thus it makes sense for smart investors to invest in Myanmar.

(A) A closed economy will rapidly deplete the financial resources of a country .If We negate this answer choice by saying that A closed economy will not rapidly deplete the financial resources of the country.Thus it has no effect on conclusion.

(E) At least some smart investors are currently aware of Myanmar’s past glory.If we negate this answer choice by saying that None smart invertors are currently aware of Mayanmar`s past glory.It attacks the conclusion.thus its the answer.

If you find my post helpful then plz press kudos
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Send PM
Someone can kindly elaborate the answer E in more detail...........

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
carcass wrote:

A - It is out of context . It talks about a generic conclusion i.e A closed economy will rapidly deplete the financial resources of a country.
A closed economy has resulted for Mayanmar's poor economic condition , but this may not be true for other countries.
B - Irrelevant . If a country which dealt with Myanmar in 1962 is now not interested doesn't change the equation, as there could be other countries which may be interested in dealing with Myanmar
C - Its a restatement or ISWAT .
D- Correct - there are no other factors except for closed economy which resulted in Myanmar's poor economic condition. If we negate this statement the conclusion will shatter.
Because if the internal unrest is still present then opening up the economy may not serve the intended purpose.
E- OFS. Even if noone is currently aware of Myanmar's past glory , they can eventually make out once Myanmar's economy starts growing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Ivan91 wrote:
carcass wrote:

(A) A closed economy will rapidly deplete the financial resources of a country Irrelevant

(B) The countries that dealt with Myanmar in 1962 will still be interested in dealing with it What if other countries are now interested?

(C) If Myanmar does not open up its economy to the outside world, it will continue to remain poor. Irrelevant

(D) The severe internal unrest that has continued in Myanmar for the last several years is not responsible for its current financial state. The current financial state is not important. We are interested in the past glory and the potentially futurenglory

If Myianmar opens its economy , it will regain its past glory. In order for this to happen, there must be some smart investors who are aware of the country's past glory. Therefore, answer E.

Hi Ivan91,
I feel your moving away.

As Rock750 stated,
Actually assumption needs to fill the gap between premise and conclusion.
In this case you meant, I felt you were building your assumption over conclusion without filling out the gap.

I'm waiting for OA and OE
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
I do not think D can be the answer...It just means there other reasons for the current financial state....what impact will that have on the conclusion....
IMO C or E must be the OA
However, i will go with C

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit
Board of Directors
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
I do not think D can be the answer...It just means there other reasons for the current financial state....what impact will that have on the conclusion....
IMO C or E must be the OA
However, i will go with C

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit

But C could be a hypothesis if happens and at most an inference question. Moreover, we care about of the investors. C is an inference question (probably) but not an assumption
Board of Directors
Send PM
Ok guys time for OA and OE. Check the first post ;)

Thanks for discussion :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1283 [0]
Send PM
carcass wrote:

And Thanks for the question :) , Defintly this is a typical assumption question on the GMAT, in which all the answer choices seem close ..

BTW, what is the source ?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Rock750 wrote:
carcass wrote:

And Thanks for the question :) , Defintly this is a typical assumption question on the GMAT, in which all the answer choices seem close ..

Hi rock what do you think about the level of this one ??

The last CR guide from aristotle prep. I think right now is the best CR guide, as Souvik also pointed out, out there.

Please give kudos if you like the question. as usual ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
Send PM
Oh i was wrong......i picked e.Finally seeing all explanations i have understood where i was wrong.it was a tricky question for me
Manager
Manager
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Rock750 wrote:
carcass wrote:

Hi rock what do you think about the level of this one ??

The last CR guide from aristotle prep. I think right now is the best CR guide, as Souvik also pointed out, out there.

Please give kudos if you like the question. as usual ;)

done as usual :wink: , i think i deserve one too for my explanation :-D , This is a level 700 ?

Can you post some bold faced question from your wonderful source ? I'd love to see one of these

Cheers

Originally posted by Rock750 on 19 Mar 2013, 12:38.
Last edited by Rock750 on 19 Mar 2013, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mun23 wrote:
Oh i was wrong......i picked e.Finally seeing all explanations i have understood where i was wrong.it was a tricky question for me

Don't bother with that :-D , just practice practice practice and you will see the difference by yourself :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
D for me. I used the negation technique and D reads

(D) The severe internal unrest that has continued in Myanmar for the last several years is responsible for its current financial state.

If internal unrest is responsible for its current financial state then the conclusion does not make sense.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
carcass wrote:

OE

Official Answer: D
Explanation
The argument concludes that the only reason why Myanmar became the poorest country in the
Asian region is because it closed its economy to the outside world. Thus it assumes that there can
be no other explanation for this fact. (D) is one such passive assumption, which has to be true for
the conclusion to be true. If you negate (D) then the argument will fall apart.
A. This may be inferred from the argument but is definitely not an assumption
B. Doesn’t necessarily have to be true. New countries may want to deal with Myanmar now.
C. Again this may be an inference but is not an assumption
D. The correct answer.
E. This is irrelevant to the argument

E is close but do we really need investors to know about this? I don't think so. D is the best answer choice because if the internal unrest rather than closing its economy has been the cause for the country to perform poorly in the last years, then it will not gain much from opening its market again

Just my 2c

Cheers
J
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator