Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin was, at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin was, at [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 11:14
Expert's post
In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin was, at least in the public sphere, recognized as its inventor. His loudest champion was his boss, David Sarnoff, then president of RCA and a man that we regard even today as "the father of television." Current historians agree, however, that Philo Farnsworth, a self-educated prodigy who was the first
to transmit live images, was television's true inventor.

In his own time, Farnsworth's contributions went largely unnoticed, in large part because he was excluded from the process of introducing the invention to a national audience. Sarnoff put televisions into living rooms, and Sarnoff was responsible for a dominant paradigm of the television industry that continues to be relevant today: advertisers pay for the programming so that they can have a receptive audience for their products. Sarnoff had already utilized this construct to develop the radio industry, and it had, within ten years, become ubiquitous. Farnsworth thought the television should be used as an educational tool, but he had little understanding of the business world, and was never able to implement his ideas.

Perhaps one can argue that Sarnoff simply adapted the business model for radio and television from the newspaper industry, replacing the revenue from subscriptions and purchases of individual newspapers with that of selling the television sets themselves, but Sarnoff promoted himself as nothing less than a visionary. Some television critics argue that the construct Sarnoff implemented has played a negative role in determining the content of the programs themselves, while others contend that it merely created a democratic platform from which the audience can determine the types of programming it wants.
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) correct public misconception about Farnsworth's role in developing early television programs
(B) debate the influence of television on popular culture
(C) challenge the current public perception of Vladimir Zworykin
(D) chronicle the events that led up to the invention of the television
(E) describe Sarnoff's influence on the public perception of television's inception, and debate the impact of Sarnoff's paradigm
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

2. It can be inferred &om the third paragraph of the passage that
(A) television shows produced by David Sarnoff and Vladimir Zworykin tended to earn negative reviews
(B) educational programs cannot draw as large an audience as sports programs
(C) a number of critics feel that Sarnoff's initial decision to earn television revenue through advertising has had a positive or neutral impact on content
(D) educational programs that are aired in prime time, the hours during which the greatest number of viewers are watching television, are less likely to earn a profit than those that are aired during the daytime hours
(E) in matters of programming, the audience's preferences should be more influential than those of the advertisers
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

3. Which of the following best illustrates the relationship between the second and third paragraphs? '
(A) The second paragraph dissects the evolution of a contemporary controversy; the third paragraph presents differing viewpoints on that controversy.
(B) The second paragraph explores the antithetical intentions of two men involved in the infancy of an industry; the third paragraph details the eventual deterioration of that industry.
(C) The second paragraph presents differing views of a historical event; the third paragraph represents the author's personal opinion about that event,
(D) The second paragraph provides details that are necessary to support the author's opinion, which is presented in the third paragraph.
(E) The second paragraph presents divergent visions about the possible uses of a technological device; the third paragraph initiates a debate about the ramifications of one of those perspectives.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

4. According to the passage, the television industry, at its inception, earned revenue from
(A) advertising only
(B) advertising and the sale of television sets
(C) advertising and subscriptions
(D) subscriptions and the sale of television sets
(E) advertising, subscriptions, and the sale of television sets
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

5. The passage suggests that Farnsworth might have earned greater public notoriety for his invention if
(A) Vladimir Zworykin had been less vocal about his own contributions to the television
(B) Farnsworth had been able to develop and air his own educational programs
(C) Farnsworth had involved Sarnoff in his plans to develop, manufacture, or distribute the television
(D) Sarnoff had involved Farnsworth in his plans to develop, manufacture, or distribute the television
(E) Farnsworth had a better understanding of the type of programming the audience wanted to watch most
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Short BUT tough. OA Later.

Thanks for discussion

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 10:27
My attempt:
1 - E
2- C
3 - E
4 - B
5 - E

OA Pls.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 11:38
My answers below -

1 - E
2- E
3 - E
4 - B
5 - D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 194

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 09:06
Expert's post
ECEBD, but I'm not positive about #3 and this one was time-consuming for me. I'll save lengthy discussion for later, after others have had a chance.

Also, I hope I'm right since I can see this is an MGMAT question :)

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 12:26
hey my answers are ECDBD for this . . will discuss after OA

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 12:30
hello R jacobs just want to discuss 3rd ques with u . . i think it cannot be E because E refers to details in the paragraphs and not the essence of paragraphs . . for 2nd my notes said sarnoff was responsible for the widespread use of television and for 3rd para the authors opinion is in first line itself

" but Sarnoff promoted himself as nothing less
than a visionary."

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Expert Post

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 15:37
Expert's post
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
ECEBD, but I'm not positive about #3 and this one was time-consuming for me. I'll save lengthy discussion for later, after others have had a chance.

Also, I hope I'm right since I can see this is an MGMAT question :)

You have nailed the correct answers

E C E B D are the OA

Thanks for discussion. If someone has doubts please asking.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 04:18
My Take EEEAE , I see i get 2 c 3 w very bad , can some one explain Q2 , Q4 and Q5.

For 5th I can see that it says earned greater public notoriety , but no where in the passage is bad publicity about Farnsworth mentioned. All the start of 2nd para says is

In his own time, Farnsworth's contributions
went largely unnoticed, in large part because he was
excluded from the process of introducing the invention
to a national audience
, but it doesnt mean that Fransworth would have gained negative publicity if he was included in the process.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Expert Post

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 07:20
Expert's post
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
hello R jacobs just want to discuss 3rd ques with u . . i think it cannot be E because E refers to details in the paragraphs and not the essence of paragraphs . . for 2nd my notes said sarnoff was responsible for the widespread use of television and for 3rd para the authors opinion is in first line itself

" but Sarnoff promoted himself as nothing less
than a visionary."

Yes, this was the toughest for me as well! Here's how I broke it down:

The second paragraph presents divergent visions about the possible uses of a technological device;

OK, this works: the device is the TV, the divergent visions are Sarnoff's (radio-like business model) and Farnsworth's (educational tool).

the third paragraph initiates a debate about the ramifications of one of those
perspectives.

I started with the phrase "one of those perspectives" - whose perspective are they talking about? Well, clearly Sarnoff's. Then I asked myself, "Are any ramifications discussed?" This was harder to answer, but it does seem like the ramifications were either that the Sarnoff model led to poor programming or that it led to a democratic platform. I did think "initiates a debate" was a little too strong, but then I asked myself, "If I were a high school teacher, would I be able to lead a discussion about whether Sarnoff's model had a negative or neutral impact on programming?" I think I would, so this paragraph does actually initiate a debate, or at least leave room for it.

I actually disagree that E talks only about specifics - for me, the essence of the second paragraph for me is "Farnsworth (nerd) vs. Sarnoff (MBA)" (sorry, a little MBA humor here :-D ) and the essence of the third paragraph is "Radio-like model led to bad TV?" This matches (E) fairly closely.

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 17:54
Could someone please explain Question # 5?
Expert Post

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 11:34
Expert's post
avi12345 wrote:
Could someone please explain Question # 5?

Sure! Question 5 asks "The passage suggests that Farnsworth might have earned greater public notoriety for his invention if..."

Well I can't answer that unless I know why he didn't gain a lot of public notoriety in the first place: because Sarnoff gave Zworykin the credit. So basically, Zworykin got the notoriety because he worked for Sarnoff (and ostensibly that work involved developing/manufacturing/distributing the TV). If Farnsworth had been in that position instead of Zworykin, then Farnsworth would have gotten the credit. So (D) is the answer.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 22:01
I got EEEDD.

So 3 Correct & 2 wrong.

Can some explain Q 2 & 4

Para 3: Sarnoff simply adapted the business model for radio and television
from the newspaper industry, replacing the revenue
from subscriptions and purchases of individual news-
papers with that of selling the television sets

So shouldn't the answer be D for Q 4.
Expert Post

Re: In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 06:40
Expert's post
Quote:
In order to trick you on a specific question such as this, the GMAT will offer incomplete answers
that incorporate language from throughout the passage but do not directly bear on the question at
hand. Two sections in the passage discuss ways in which the television industry brought in revenue.
The second paragraph states that advertisers pay for the programming so that they can have a receptive
audience for their products. The third paragraph states that the television industry benefited by replac-
ing the revenue from subscriptions and purchases of individual newspapers with that of selling the televi-
sion sets themselves.

(B) CORRECT. Advertising and the sale of television sets are the two ways mentioned through
which the industry could generate revenue,

From MGMAT RC 4th guide ;)

This one was very trcky because you had to connected TWO different part of the passage: the 2 and 3 th paragraph

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 16

Re: 1) In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin was, [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 03:57
hey can somebody explain why the answer to Q2 is C and not E?
Expert Post

Re: 1) In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin was, [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 05:01
Expert's post
mehulsayani wrote:
hey can somebody explain why the answer to Q2 is C and not E?

Because
Quote:
Some television critics argue that the
construct Sarnoff implemented has played a negative
role in determining the content of the programs them-
selves
imply that other critics think that Sarnoof had a positive role at least on TV

E is out of scope

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Re: 1) In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin was,   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2012, 05:01