Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [9]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 446 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
In the figure above, a circle is inscribed in a square. What is the ar [#permalink]
Kudos
Area of a Sector = \(\pi r^2 \frac{Q}{360^o}\)

Statement 1 provides us only the radius (r).
Statement 2 provides the angle.
We need to know both the radius and the angle. Since both statements are required to find the Area, Hence C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, a circle is inscribed in a square. What is the ar [#permalink]
Kudos
but why is it that you are assuming the shaded region is drawn from the centre of the circle?..It has not been stated in the question anywhere!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, a circle is inscribed in a square. What is the ar [#permalink]
VenoMfTw wrote:
IMO : C

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

St 1: The perimeter of the square equals 32
Clearly not suff

St 2: x = 35
Angle subtended at the center by a chord PQ = 2* Angle subtended by the same chord at the circumference of the circle
Thus Angle subtended at center will be 70\(^{\circ}\)
Area of the shaded region = area of sector OPQ of circle
area of sector of circle = (Ө/360˚)πr²
r is unknown.
Hence not suff

Combined:
We will get the value of r=8
Thus area of sector is calculated.
Hence Suff

Hey,

but why is it that you are assuming the shaded region is drawn from the centre of the circle?..It has not been stated in the question anywhere!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
In the figure above, a circle is inscribed in a square. What is the ar [#permalink]
I think we can infer that the central line divides the square vertically because it intersects the top and bottom edge at the same point as the perimeter of the circle, however there is nothing that says that the intersection of the shaded region and the vertical line is at the origin (it could be higher or lower).

(1) Gives us the radius of the circle, but nothing regarding angles or origins. insufficient
(2) IF if we knew that inside angle of the shaded was at the origin we would know that angle r is 70, however this cannot be inferred so to my knowledge and even if we could this statement alone is insufficient

(1) & (2) IF we knew that angle r was on the circle origin (the centre of the vertical line segment) we would have sufficient information to solve. but since this can not be inferred or deduced. This is also insufficient

My answer is: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Ah please don't tell me that I got it wrong because the detail about the center is not explicitly mentioned. :(
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, a circle is inscribed in a square. What is the area of the shaded region?

(1) The perimeter of the square equals 32.
(2) x = 35

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
circle-in-square-dr-tri-yel.GIF

GROCKIT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Statement 1 seems irrelevant to the question, but we can determine r by knowing that the length of the square’s side. If s = 32/4 = 8, then d = 8 and r = 4. This is insufficient, since we do not know the interior angle.

Statement 2 provides information about x, and from this, we know that the interior angle of the shaded region is 2(35) = 70. This is insufficient, since we do not know the size of the circle.

Together, we know both the size of the circle and the degree measure of the interior sector angle.

A(shaded) = (2x/360) * πr² = 70/360 * 16π, whatever the hell that comes out to. Remember, since it’s a Data Sufficiency question, we don’t actually need to calculate the number.

Answer: C.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jayanthjanardhan wrote:

Little r in the shaded region indicates that the line is a radius, thus shaded region is drawn from the center.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
jayanthjanardhan wrote:

Little r in the shaded region indicates that the line is a radius, thus shaded region is drawn from the center.

Hmmmm... Maybe its's just me but I think it could be made a little clearer that the small r indicates that it is in fact a radius... Maybe an O stating origin or something? Thoughts?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DropBear wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jayanthjanardhan wrote:

Hmmmm... Maybe its's just me but I think it could be made a little clearer that the small r indicates that it is in fact a radius... Maybe an O stating origin or something? Thoughts?

Don't worry, on the real test this would be stated more clearly.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos