Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Geometryx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618663 [59]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [10]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [6]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, D is a point on the side AC of ABC.Is ABC isos? [#permalink]
Kudos
In the figure above, D is a point on side AC of ΔABC. Is ΔABC is isosceles?

(1) The area of triangular region ABD is equal to the area of triangular region DBC --> this gives us info that D is the midpoint of AC but we don't have any info about angle ADB & BDC....insufficient
(2) BD┴AC and AD = DC --> this gives us info that D is midpoint of AC and that BD┴AC, this condition will make AB=BC.......sufficient.(refer below image, hope my understanding is correct :? )

Ans. B)
Attachments

File comment: triangle
triangle.png
triangle.png [ 7.79 KiB | Viewed 19158 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, D is a point on the side AC of ABC.Is ABC isos? [#permalink]
What exactly does this "BD┴AC" say?

I don't know what the symbol means.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618663 [1]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
noTh1ng wrote:
What exactly does this "BD┴AC" say?

I don't know what the symbol means.

It means that BD is perpendicular to AC.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Attachment:
1.png

In the figure above, D is a point on the side AC of ΔABC. Is ΔABC isosceles?

(1) The area of the triangular region ABD is equal to the area of triangular region DBC.

(2) BD is perpendicular to AC and AD = DC.

Statement 1 is straightforward to see that it is NOT sufficient. The most this statement will do is to provide a scenario when we have AD=CD. But this does not yet answer the question asked.

Statement 2, is tricky as in from the figure provided, BD can either be to the left of A or between A and C or to the right of C. But in only 1 case (of between A and C) will you get AD=CD such that BD \(\perp\) AC. With this scenario, triangle ABC is indeed isosceles (by making triangles ABD and BCD congruent to each other by the SAS property ---> AB=BC) . Hence sufficient.

B is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Answer: B

We are after: Is ΔABC isosceles?

(1) Not sufficient. Using the formula for areas of triangle, we get

Area of ΔABD = Area of ΔABD
1/2 * AD * h = 1/2 * DC * h

h is the height for both triangles, if you drop a perpendicular from point B on AC. This will fall on the extended AC (if you can imagine it)

The above equation yields to:
AD = AC

But we want to know if ΔABC is isosceles. This information doesn't help so it is INSUFFICIENT.

(2) Sufficient

Since BD ⊥AC, and D is on AC, imagine D dividing AC into two sides i.e. AD =AC.

Now imagine two right angled Δs inside ABC being split in the middle by BD. These two right angled Δs have the same base and height so the hypotenuse will be same i.e. AB = AC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Bunuel VeritasKarishma chetan2u Cant option B result in equilateral triangle?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31875 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bishal123456789 wrote:
Bunuel VeritasKarishma chetan2u Cant option B result in equilateral triangle?

Hi Bishal,

Yes, it CAN be an equilateral triangle....
Of course, it is an isosceles triangle for sure.. also all equilateral triangles are Isosceles
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
A strong takeaway in this Q is that ALL equilateral triangles are ALSO isosceles triangle. If we forget this rule, we might reject option B.

The triangle property is ' When an perpendicular bisects the base into equal parts (AD=DC for example as per the Q), then such triangle (ABC) must be an isosceles or equilateral triangle.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92888 posts