Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Geometryx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618937 [573]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [231]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [118]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [38]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
tonebeeze wrote:
In the figure attached, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = AB. What is the value of x (in degrees)?

a. 40
b. 36
c. 34
d. 32
e. 30

It goes like this -

In triangle OAB , Angle O + Angle A + Angle B = 180 -------1
OA = OB (Radius) => Angle A = Angle B

In triangle ACB, Angle C = Angle O + Angle OAC (Sum of interior opposite angles)
=> Angle ACB = 2x;
Also, AC = AB => Angle ACB = Angle ABC = 2x each

Thus Angle A = Angle B = 2x each.

So, substituting in 1

5x = 180 => x = 36 deg.

This will help.
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [4]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
In the figure above, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
As \(OC=AC\)
So, \(∠OAC=x\)
Then, \(∠ACB=2x\) [As the external angle of a triangle is equal to the sum opposite two angles]

As, \(AC=AB\)
So, \(∠ACB=∠ABC=2x\)

\(OA=AB\) as they are two radii
\(So, ∠OAB=2X\)

Now for the \(∆OAB\)
\(x+2x+2x=180\)
\(5x=180\)
\(X=36\)

The answer is \(B\)

Originally posted by MHIKER on 10 Mar 2011, 14:03.
Last edited by MHIKER on 06 Dec 2020, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [7]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In the figure attached, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = AB. What is the value of x (in degrees)?

OC = AC = AB tells us that triangle OAC and BAC are isosceles. Also, as with any triangle on a straight line with an exterior angle, the exterior angle (or in this case, angle ACB) can be found by subtracting the interior angle from 180.

We know that in triangle OAC (because it is an isosceles triangle) that angle o and angle a are equal to one another. Therefore, angle c = 180 - x - x --> angle c = 180-2x. Angle C (of the smaller isosceles triangle) also happens to share the same angle measurement as angle B. Furthermore, because OA and OB are radii, we know that they equal one another and that angle A = angle B.

We know that angle c in the smaller isosceles triangle = 180 - the measure of the obtuse angle C. As shown above the obtuse angle C = (180-2x) So, the small angle C = 180 - (180-2x) --> angle C = 2x. So, angle C = B = 2x. If angle A = B then A = 2x and becaause the obtuse triangle has two x measurements, we know that the measure of A in the small isosceles triangle = x. Therefore, in the small isosceles triangle we have 2x+2x+x = 180. 5x = 180. x = 36.

b. 36
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:

a. 40
b. 36
c. 34
d. 32
e. 30

A small diagram helps:
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

In the figure, you see (180 - 2x) + y = 180 (straight angle) so 2x = y

Also, the moment you see the circle and its two radii, mark them equal and the corresponding angles equal. (the red angle = blue angle)
x + 180 - 2y = y
5x = 180 (from above, y = 2x)
x = 36

Hi Karishma,

Thanks for the detailed explanation but I still have a nagging issue. I was having a hard time setting this up with the variables. For example, <OAC, you have it broken up as 180-2y and x, which i see why you did. When I started working on this problem, I labeled <ACB and <ABC as "x" because of the congruent lines and I labeled OAC and COA as "x" too because all of those lines were same according to the question stem. Doing so, conflicted with the fact that <OAB and <ABO are equal and that's when my whole setup went kaboom :( Why is that wrong?

I guess I'm not following why you gave some variables "x" vs. some "y"?

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:

a. 40
b. 36
c. 34
d. 32
e. 30

A small diagram helps:
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

Also, the moment you see the circle and its two radii, mark them equal and the corresponding angles equal. (the red angle = blue angle)
x + 180 - 2y = y
x = 36

Hi Karishma,

Thanks for the detailed explanation but I still have a nagging issue. I was having a hard time setting this up with the variables. For example, <OAC, you have it broken up as 180-2y and x, which i see why you did. When I started working on this problem, I labeled <ACB and <ABC as "x" because of the congruent lines and I labeled OAC and COA as "x" too because all of those lines were same according to the question stem. Doing so, conflicted with the fact that <OAB and <ABO are equal and that's when my whole setup went kaboom :( Why is that wrong?

Thanks!

When two sides of a triangle are equal, the two opposite angles are equal. But can you say what the two angles are? No. Say a triangle has two sides of length 5 cm each. Do we know the measure of equal angles? No. They could be 40-40 or 50-50 or 80-80 etc. So if you have two different triangles with 2 sides of length 5 cm each, the equal angle could have different measures - in one triangle the equal angles could be 50-50, in the other triangle, the equal angles could be 70-70.

In triangle OAC, since OC = AC, you have two equal angles as x each. The third angle here is 180 - 2x.

In triangle ACB, since AC = AB, angle ACB = angle ABC but what makes you say that they must be x each too? This is a different triangle. Even if the sides have the same length as the sides of triangle OAC, there is no reason to believe that the equal angles need to be x each. So you call the angles y. The third angle here is 180 - 2y.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [75]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer = B = 36

Please refer diagram below:
Attachments

as.jpg
as.jpg [ 39.56 KiB | Viewed 368623 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
russ9 wrote:

Hi Karishma,

Thanks!

When two sides of a triangle are equal, the two opposite angles are equal. But can you say what the two angles are? No. Say a triangle has two sides of length 5 cm each. Do we know the measure of equal angles? No. They could be 40-40 or 50-50 or 80-80 etc. So if you have two different triangles with 2 sides of length 5 cm each, the equal angle could have different measures - in one triangle the equal angles could be 50-50, in the other triangle, the equal angles could be 70-70.

In triangle OAC, since OC = AC, you have two equal angles as x each. The third angle here is 180 - 2x.

In triangle ACB, since AC = AB, angle ACB = angle ABC but what makes you say that they must be x each too? This is a different triangle. Even if the sides have the same length as the sides of triangle OAC, there is no reason to believe that the equal angles need to be x each. So you call the angles y. The third angle here is 180 - 2y.

Hi Karishma,

This is news to me -- you can't assume that because length AC is shared, that implies that the corresponding angle in Triangle ACO will equal the corresponding angle in ACB?

Hmm -- learn something new everyday! Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:

Hi Karishma,

This is news to me -- you can't assume that because length AC is shared, that implies that the corresponding angle in Triangle ACO will equal the corresponding angle in ACB?

Hmm -- learn something new everyday! Thanks!

Corresponding angles are equal only when you have parallel lines with a common transversal.
Make two triangles with a common side. Can you make the angles made on the common side such that the angles have very different measures? Sure!

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 6.81 KiB | Viewed 367835 times ]

Here one angle is 90 degrees and the other is acute.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
tonebeeze wrote:

a. 40
b. 36
c. 34
d. 32
e. 30

A small diagram helps:
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

x + 180 - 2y = y
x = 36

Karishma - why is it that you did not have x+ x + (180 - 2y)+ y = 180 to include the entire triangle? I solved this equation by adding an additional line to form a diameter and then constructed another angle(titled z) and approached the solution that way but I am attempting to understand this method that you used to solve this problem.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT01 wrote:
Karishma - why is it that you did not have x+ x + (180 - 2y)+ y = 180 to include the entire triangle? I solved this equation by adding an additional line to form a diameter and then constructed another angle(titled z) and approached the solution that way but I am attempting to understand this method that you used to solve this problem.

You need to find the relation between x and y. You can do it in any way you like; you will get the same result.

Doing it your way:
x+ x + (180 - 2y)+ y = 180
2x = y
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT01 wrote:

You need to find the relation between x and y. You can do it in any way you like; you will get the same result.

Doing it your way:
2x = y

Thank you.

I must have overlooked something because I get:

x+x+(180-2y)+y= 180
2x-y=0
2x-2x= 0
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT01 wrote:
GMAT01 wrote:

Doing it your way:
2x = y

Thank you.

x+x+(180-2y)+y= 180
2x-y=0
2x-2x= 0

Ignore the highlighted step.
after 2x - y = 0, when you take y to the other side, you get
2x = y

Without doing this step, how did you substitute 2x for y in the highlighted step?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
How are we getting different variables x and y when the sides are equal. Can you explain Krishna. Cause three sides are equal shouldn't their angles be noted with the same variable?
Intern
Intern
Send PM

x+x+(180-2y)+y= 180
2x-y=0
2x-2x= 0[/quote]

Ignore the highlighted step.
after 2x - y = 0, when you take y to the other side, you get
2x = y

Without doing this step, how did you substitute 2x for y in the highlighted step?[/quote]
I see what I did. Below was my thought process:

x+x+(180-2y)+y= 180
2x-y=0 I then looked at the graph and applied the sum of two interior angles is equal to the opposite exterior which you labeled y. Once I got 2x= y I then went back to x+x+(180-2y)+y= 180 and thought I would end up with 5x= 180 but instead kept getting 2x-2x= 0
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bankerboy30 wrote:
How are we getting different variables x and y when the sides are equal. Can you explain Krishna. Cause three sides are equal shouldn't their angles be noted with the same variable?

Note the sides that are equal
OC = AC = AB

OC and AC are sides if a triangle and the angles opposite to them are marked as x each (i.e. they are equal)

AC and AB are equal sides of another triangle and angles opposite to them are marked as y each. Note that you cannot mark them as x too because they are equal angles in a different triangle. Their measure could be different from x. I have explained this in detail in a post given below. Giving the explanation here:

"When two sides of a triangle are equal, the two opposite angles are equal. But can you say what the two angles are? No. Say a triangle has two sides of length 5 cm each. Do we know the measure of equal angles? No. They could be 40-40 or 50-50 or 80-80 etc. So if you have two different triangles with 2 sides of length 5 cm each, the equal angle could have different measures - in one triangle the equal angles could be 50-50, in the other triangle, the equal angles could be 70-70.

In triangle ACB, since AC = AB, angle ACB = angle ABC but what makes you say that they must be x each too? This is a different triangle. Even if the sides have the same length as the sides of triangle OAC, there is no reason to believe that the equal angles need to be x each. So you call the angles y. The third angle here is 180 - 2y."
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMAT01 wrote:
I see what I did. Below was my thought process:

x+x+(180-2y)+y= 180
2x-y=0 I then looked at the graph and applied the sum of two interior angles is equal to the opposite exterior which you labeled y. Once I got 2x= y I then went back to x+x+(180-2y)+y= 180 and thought I would end up with 5x= 180 but instead kept getting 2x-2x= 0

From this equation: x+x+(180-2y)+y= 180,
you derive that 2x = y. If you try to substitute 2x = y in this equation itself, you will just get 2x - 2x = 0 which implies 0 = 0.
This equation has 2 variables and you need two distinct equations to get the value of the two variables. If both equations are just 2x = y, you cannot get the value of x. You need another equation to get the value of x.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Kudos
What step am I doing wrong here? I can't figure it out. I don't understand how to go to 5x = 180

I just get to 4x + 180 - 4x = 180 aka 4x - 4x = 0..

edit: that last "8" kinda looks like a 5, but its supposed to be an 8
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts