Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 271 [3] , given: 17

In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 01:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (02:49) correct 33% (03:04) wrong based on 95 sessions
Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 5.58 KiB | Viewed 2362 times ]
In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points A, B, and C on the circle, given that minor arc (AB) is one-third of the total circumference and length (AB)=12\sqrt{3} , what is the radius of the circle?

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos will encourage many others, like me.
Good Questions also deserve few KUDOS.

Last edited by Bunuel on 26 Feb 2013, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
2 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [2] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 03:17
This post received
KUDOS
emmak wrote:
In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points A, B, and C on the circle, given that minor arc (AB) is one-third of the total circumference and length (AB)=12\sqrt{3} , what is the radius of the circle?

\angle AOB = 120^{\circ}

So,

\angle ACB = 60^{\circ}

So, the \triangle ABC is a 30, 60, 90 triangle and the sides are in the ratio 1 : \sqrt{3} : 2

or 12 : 12\sqrt{3} : 24

So, AC = 24 and hence AO = 12

Answer is A

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28728 [2] , given: 2839

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 01:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Good question. It tests three must know properties for the GMAT:

1. A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

According to the above, we have that ABC is a right triangle, with a right angle at B.

2. The Central Angle Theorem states that the measure of inscribed angle is always half the measure of the central angle.

According to the above, central angle AOB is twice inscribed angle ACB (notice that both subtend the same arc AB). Hence since AOB=120 degrees (third of 360 degrees), then ACB=60 degrees. So, we have that triangle ABC is 30°-60°-90° right triangle.

3. In a right triangle where the angles are 30°, 60°, and 90° the sides are always in the ratio 1 : \sqrt{3}: 2.
Notice that the smallest side (1) is opposite the smallest angle (30°), and the longest side (2) is opposite the largest angle (90°).

Thus, AB:AC=\sqrt{3}: 2 --> \frac{12\sqrt{3}}{AC}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} --> AC=diameter=24 --> radius=12.

Answer: A.

For more on triangles check: math-triangles-87197.html
For more on circles check: math-circles-87957.html

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 17:38
can someone explain me why cant we use the formula arc length=2x3.14xr(c/360) we know the arc length AB and C/360 as 120..But am not getting the answer.can anyone explain why we should nt use this formula here

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28728 [0], given: 2839

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 01:35
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:
can someone explain me why cant we use the formula arc length=2x3.14xr(c/360) we know the arc length AB and C/360 as 120..But am not getting the answer.can anyone explain why we should nt use this formula here

Can you please show your work?

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 84

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 04:44
MacFauz wrote:
emmak wrote:

\angle AOB = 120^{\circ}

So,

\angle ACB = 60^{\circ}

So, the \triangle ABC is a 30, 60, 90 triangle and the sides are in the ratio 1 : \sqrt{3} : 2

or 12 : 12\sqrt{3} : 24

So, AC = 24 and hence AO = 12

Answer is A

How do you that
since \angle AOB = 120^{\circ}
so \angle ACB = 60^{\circ} ?

:banana

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 40

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 10:28
Bunuel wrote:

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

1. A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

According to the above, we have that ABC is a right triangle, with a right angle at B.

2. The Central Angle Theorem states that the measure of inscribed angle is always half the measure of the central angle.

According to the above, central angle AOB is twice inscribed angle ACB (notice that both subtend the same arc AB). Hence since AOB=120 degrees (third of 360 degrees), then ACB=60 degrees. So, we have that triangle ABC is 30°-60°-90° right triangle.

3. In a right triangle where the angles are 30°, 60°, and 90° the sides are always in the ratio 1 : \sqrt{3}: 2.
Notice that the smallest side (1) is opposite the smallest angle (30°), and the longest side (2) is opposite the largest angle (90°).

Thus, AB:AC=\sqrt{3}: 2 --> \frac{12\sqrt{3}}{AC}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} --> AC=diameter=24 --> radius=12.

Hope it helps.

I'm having trouble visualizing your 2nd point; could you draw a rough illustration of it? I'm familiar with the theorem, great illustration here: http://www.mathopenref.com/arccentralangletheorem.html, but I can't visualize it in this problem. I got the answer correct as the sqrt(3) tipped me off to a likely 30-60-90, but I'd like to learn a bit more from this problem
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 84

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 15:55
AccipiterQ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Hope it helps.

I'm having trouble visualizing your 2nd point; could you draw a rough illustration of it? I'm familiar with the theorem, great illustration here: http://www.mathopenref.com/arccentralangletheorem.html, but I can't visualize it in this problem. I got the answer correct as the sqrt(3) tipped me off to a likely 30-60-90, but I'd like to learn a bit more from this problem

Thnaks bunel for your posts

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 07:26
Expert's post
AccipiterQ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Hope it helps.

Please, follow this link: math-circles-87957.html

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2013, 22:26
emmak wrote:
Attachment:
1.jpg

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Guys I did this question with this approach, can you kindly evaluate the approach
AB= \frac{1}{3} Circumference
So,AB = \frac{2}{3}Pi* R
Also AB=12\sqrt{3}
Therefore, 12\sqrt{3} = \frac{2}{3}Pi* R
ManipulatingR = 12
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 13:37
Do we just assume that AC is the diameter?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 14:06
Ok, assuming we know this is a right triangle because we know that the picture is accurate...

If the triangle is a right triangle, we know that angle B is the right angle. Furthermore, we are given that arc AB = 1/3 of the circle's circumference (i.e it = 120 degrees) This means that AOB, the central angle = 120 degrees and because AO and BO are radii, we know that triangle AOB is an isosceles triangle. We also know the angle measure of angle BOC which = 180 - 120 = 60. If angle AOB is the interior angle, it is twice the measure of the "exterior" angle ACB, so ACB = 60. Now we know that triangle BOC is equilateral. More importantly, we know that ABC is a 30:60:90 triangle. With this, we can find the measure of any given side knowing just the measure of one. The ratio of side lengths in a 30:60:90 is (x/2):(3/2*x):(x) in this case, x (the radius) = 12.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 01:20
Expert's post
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Please read here: in-the-figure-above-showing-circle-with-center-o-and-points-147885.html#p1187477

We did not assume that. AC passes through the center of the circle thus it's the diameter.

A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 04:21
Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Please read here: in-the-figure-above-showing-circle-with-center-o-and-points-147885.html#p1187477

We did not assume that. AC passes through the center of the circle thus it's the diameter.

A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

I understand the rule, but in other words, how do we know that the drawing isn't misleading and that AC passes above the center?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 04:31
Expert's post
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

I understand the rule, but in other words, how do we know that the drawing isn't misleading and that AC passes above the center?

OG13, page 150:
Figures: A figure accompanying a problem solving question is intended to provide information useful in solving the problem. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

OG13, page 272:
A figure accompanying a data sufficiency problem will conform to the information given in the question but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
Lines shown as straight can be assumed to be straight and lines that appear jagged can also be assumed to be straight.
You may assume that the positions of points, angles, regions, and so forth exist in the order shown and that angle measures are greater than zero degrees.
All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 20:27
Bunuel wrote:

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel

Particularly in this question with the given options , do we even need this much detail.

We know that the angle AOB = 120 degrees as it is 1/3 the circumference. AO=OB as they are the radius. So the two angles OAB and OBA will be equal in the triangle AOB. Thus Angle OBA=OBA=30 ( 180-120)/2. In a triangle the greatest side is opposite the largest angle . Here AB is opposite the largest angle and is 12sqrt2 so the other sides ( the radii) will have to be less that this value and only A satisfies the condition over here
Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2014, 20:27