Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the figure (attached), ABC is an equilateral triangle,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 310
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 22

In the figure (attached), ABC is an equilateral triangle, [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 06:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:10) correct 67% (00:18) wrong based on 6 sessions
In the figure (attached), ABC is an equilateral triangle, and DAB is a right triangle. What is the area of the circumscribed circle?

(1) DA = 4
(2) Angle ABD = 30 degrees

OA later after discussion
Attachments

clip_image002.jpg
clip_image002.jpg [ 2.89 KiB | Viewed 7254 times ]

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1541
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 39

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 08:26
[quote="crejoc"]In the figure (attached), ABC is an equilateral triangle, and DAB is a right triangle. What is the area of the circumscribed circle?

(1) DA = 4
(2) Angle ABD = 30 degrees

FROM STEM : DB = DIAMETER

from 1

da = 4 , , db bisects cba,we can know angles of the right triangle and thus the hyp = diam and thus we can get the radius...suff

from 2
we dont have any side length...insuff

A
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 909
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 235 [0], given: 18

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 09:17
yezz wrote:
crejoc wrote:
In the figure (attached), ABC is an equilateral triangle, and DAB is a right triangle. What is the area of the circumscribed circle?

(1) DA = 4
(2) Angle ABD = 30 degrees

FROM STEM : DB = DIAMETER

from 1

da = 4 , , db bisects cba,we can know angles of the right triangle and thus the hyp = diam and thus we can get the radius...suff

from 2
we dont have any side length...insuff

A

I could not get where the stem says DB is the diameter??
For me it is C.
We need to find the length of a side of equilateral triangle in order to find the radius and hence the area of the circle.

Combining 1 and 2 we can get the length of AB.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1541
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 39

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 09:30
Economist wrote:
yezz wrote:
crejoc wrote:
In the figure (attached), ABC is an equilateral triangle, and DAB is a right triangle. What is the area of the circumscribed circle?

(1) DA = 4
(2) Angle ABD = 30 degrees

FROM STEM : DB = DIAMETER

from 1

da = 4 , , db bisects cba,we can know angles of the right triangle and thus the hyp = diam and thus we can get the radius...suff

from 2
we dont have any side length...insuff

A

I could not get where the stem says DB is the diameter??
For me it is C.
We need to find the length of a side of equilateral triangle in order to find the radius and hence the area of the circle.

Combining 1 and 2 we can get the length of AB.


try to draw any right angle triangle with 3 verticies on the circle and the right angle is one of these verticies without the hyp being the diameter!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 310
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 22

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 15:24
yezz wrote:

db bisects cba,we can know angles of the right triangle



How can we Know the angles of the right triangle, can you explain that..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 310
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 22

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 19:07
yezz wrote:
da = 4 , , db bisects cba,we can know angles of the right triangle and thus the hyp = diam and thus we can get the radius...suff

A


The OA is A , you are right, but how we can know the angles of the right triangle by knowing that db bisects cba.?? explain please..
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 117
Location: Next to Google
Schools: Haas School of Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 3

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 20:27
The answer is A.

Given:
\triangle ABC is Equilateral

\Rightarrow \angle ABC = \angle BCA = \angle CAB = 60^\circ

Also given

\triangle BAD is a right triangle

\Rightarrow \angle BAD = 90^\circ

Now if you notice

Arc AB is intercepted by inscribed angles \angle BACand \angle BDA

\Rightarrow \angle BCA = \angle BDA = 60^\circ

For \triangle BAD we know

\angle BAD = 90^\circ

\angle BDA = 60^\circ

\Rightarrow \angle ABD = 30^\circ

Asking

\text{Area of circle} = \pi r^2

\Rightarrow r=? \text{ or } 2r=d=BD=?

Lets look at Statement 1.

DA = 4

\text{then } BD = 4 \times 2

\text {because } 30^\circ-60^\circ-90^\circ \triangle =\rightarrow 1-sqrt{3}-2 \text { sides}

Sufficient

Statement 2

\angle ABD = 30^\circ

This does not tell us anything about the length of any sides. Hence insufficient.

The answer is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 310
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 22

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 20:50
nookway wrote:
T

\Rightarrow \angle BAC = \angle BDA = 60^\circ



I think it is
Rightarrow \angle BCA = \angle BDA = 60^\circ
I too reasoned the problem this way, but i cant understand "yezz's" explanation of
yezz wrote:
db bisects cba,we can know angles of the right triangle.

I thought if there is some we can deduce the angles other than quoted by nookway, it would be also helpful..

Last edited by crejoc on 09 Aug 2009, 00:40, edited 3 times in total.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 117
Location: Next to Google
Schools: Haas School of Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 3

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 22:23
crejoc wrote:

I think it is
Rightarrow \angle BCA = \angle BDA = 60^\circ



Thanks for pointing out the typo.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1541
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 39

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 23:04
crejoc wrote:
yezz wrote:

db bisects cba,we can know angles of the right triangle



How can we Know the angles of the right triangle, can you explain that..


any equilateral triangle drawn inside a circle (60,60,60 angles) and if you draw the diameter it will bisect one side and one angle.ie: the triangle is exactly in the middle of the circle and the diameter cut it into halves ( similar triangles).

if we draw the 3 perpendicular bisectors of the triangle's 3 angles they will intersect at the center of the circle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 310
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 22

Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 00:39
yezz wrote:
crejoc wrote:
yezz wrote:

db bisects cba,we can know angles of the right triangle



How can we Know the angles of the right triangle, can you explain that..


any equilateral triangle drawn inside a circle (60,60,60 angles) and if you draw the diameter it will bisect one side and one angle.ie: the triangle is exactly in the middle of the circle and the diameter cut it into halves ( similar triangles).

if we draw the 3 perpendicular bisectors of the triangle's 3 angles they will intersect at the center of the circle.


Got it, that was really nice .. thanks for letting know it..
Re: equilateral triangle circumscribed circle   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2009, 00:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the figure, ABC is an equilateral triangle, and DAB is enigma123 13 03 Mar 2012, 12:06
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the figure, ABC is an equilateral triangle, and DAB is a anilnandyala 4 01 Dec 2010, 05:29
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the figure above, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed ulm 12 17 Jul 2010, 09:33
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the figure above, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i bmiller0731 17 02 Mar 2009, 08:50
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the figure above, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed Folaa3 5 20 Aug 2005, 14:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the figure (attached), ABC is an equilateral triangle,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.