Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the figure below, if isosceles right angle PQR has an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2004
Posts: 345
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

In the figure below, if isosceles right angle PQR has an [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2004, 08:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In the figure below, if isosceles right angle PQR has an area of 4, what is the area of the shaded portion of the fgure? Assume R is the center. PLEASE EXPLAIN!

A. Pi
B. 2Pi
C. 2. sqrt2. pi
D. 4 pi
E. 8 pi
Attachments

GEO.JPG
GEO.JPG [ 7.69 KiB | Viewed 863 times ]


Last edited by mirhaque on 19 Jun 2004, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2004
Posts: 291
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2004, 14:17
Since R is center, let RP = RQ = x
Area of PRQ = 1/2*RQ)RP =x^2/2
Area given = 4
Hence x^2/2 = 4 =>x = 2*sqrt2!!
For this Isoceles triangles if we drop a perpendicular from R (RY) to base PQ, it will bisect PQ at Y.
From pythagoras theorem, PQ^2 = PR^2 + RQ^2 =>PQ = 4 => QY =2!!

Hence RY^2 = RQ^2 - QY^2 = {2*sqrt2}^2 -{2}^2 = 4
=>RY = 2 = radius!!
Area of shaded portion is = 1/4*pi*radius^2=4*pi/4 = pi!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Ukraine, Russia(part-time)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: GEOMETRY [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2004, 02:32
mirhaque wrote:
In the figure below, if isosceles right angle PQR has an area of 4, what is the area of the shaded portion of the fgure? Assume R is the center. PLEASE EXPLAIN!

A. Pi
B. 2Pi
C. 2. sqrt2. pi
D. 4 pi
E. 8 pi


S(triangle) = 4 => Radius of the circle = 2 (since R*2*R/2 = area = 4). => S(shaded region) = S(circle)/4 = 2^2*pi/4 = pi.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2004, 17:30
Remember, if you get booged down with calculations you are going to be screwed, and this question tries to lead you down that path.
The triangle has an area of 4, and the shaded portion has an area obviuosly less than that. Only one answer choice fits that criteria.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Ukraine, Russia(part-time)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2004, 06:47
Maneesh wrote:
Remember, if you get booged down with calculations you are going to be screwed, and this question tries to lead you down that path.
The triangle has an area of 4, and the shaded portion has an area obviuosly less than that. Only one answer choice fits that criteria.


No, Maneesh, you are wrong!

2*sqrt(pi) ~~ 2*1.8 = 3.6 < 4!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Manhattan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: GEOMETRY [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2004, 08:55
Emmanuel wrote:
mirhaque wrote:
In the figure below, if isosceles right angle PQR has an area of 4, what is the area of the shaded portion of the fgure? Assume R is the center. PLEASE EXPLAIN!

A. Pi
B. 2Pi
C. 2. sqrt2. pi
D. 4 pi
E. 8 pi


S(triangle) = 4 => Radius of the circle = 2 (since R*2*R/2 = area = 4). => S(shaded region) = S(circle)/4 = 2^2*pi/4 = pi.


I completely understood CBRF3's explanation, but your condensed version is not as clear. Just following up in case you got some great shortcut.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Ukraine, Russia(part-time)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: GEOMETRY [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2004, 09:17
lastochka wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:
mirhaque wrote:
In the figure below, if isosceles right angle PQR has an area of 4, what is the area of the shaded portion of the fgure? Assume R is the center. PLEASE EXPLAIN!

A. Pi
B. 2Pi
C. 2. sqrt2. pi
D. 4 pi
E. 8 pi


S(triangle) = 4 => Radius of the circle = 2 (since R*2*R/2 = area = 4). => S(shaded region) = S(circle)/4 = 2^2*pi/4 = pi.


I completely understood CBRF3's explanation, but your condensed version is not as clear. Just following up in case you got some great shortcut.


S(circle) is the area of the circle.

We find area of triangle = 4 => we find all sides of this triangle (2*sqrt(2),2*sqrt(2), 4). Then we find its height (from the vertex which is opposite to hipotenuse), which is equal to 2(because hipotenuse = 4, area = 4 => hipotenuse*height/2 = area = 4). This height is the same as the radius of the circle! Then we find area of the circle, given its radius: pi*r^2 = 4*PI. Then we find shaded area, which is one-fourth of the circle area = PI.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2003
Posts: 358
Location: Manhattan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: GEOMETRY [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2004, 11:08
Emmanuel wrote:
lastochka wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:
mirhaque wrote:
In the figure below, if isosceles right angle PQR has an area of 4, what is the area of the shaded portion of the fgure? Assume R is the center. PLEASE EXPLAIN!

A. Pi
B. 2Pi
C. 2. sqrt2. pi
D. 4 pi
E. 8 pi


S(triangle) = 4 => Radius of the circle = 2 (since R*2*R/2 = area = 4). => S(shaded region) = S(circle)/4 = 2^2*pi/4 = pi.


I completely understood CBRF3's explanation, but your condensed version is not as clear. Just following up in case you got some great shortcut.


S(circle) is the area of the circle.

We find area of triangle = 4 => we find all sides of this triangle (2*sqrt(2),2*sqrt(2), 4). Then we find its height (from the vertex which is opposite to hipotenuse), which is equal to 2(because hipotenuse = 4, area = 4 => hipotenuse*height/2 = area = 4). This height is the same as the radius of the circle! Then we find area of the circle, given its radius: pi*r^2 = 4*PI. Then we find shaded area, which is one-fourth of the circle area = PI.


in other words, it's the same throught process as presented by CBRF3. thanks for elaboration
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 445
Location: Cary,NC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 09:59
Maneesh wrote:
Remember, if you get booged down with calculations you are going to be screwed, and this question tries to lead you down that path.
The triangle has an area of 4, and the shaded portion has an area obviuosly less than that. Only one answer choice fits that criteria.


good work Maneesh.

Emmanuel, the third option is 2.sqrt2.pi which is > 4

- ash
_________________

ash
________________________
I'm crossing the bridge.........

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Ukraine, Russia(part-time)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 14:12
ashkg wrote:

Emmanuel, the third option is 2.sqrt2.pi which is > 4

- ash


No, ashkg, 2*sqrt(PI) < 4 because 4*PI < 16, because PI = 3.14 < 4.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 11
Location: Raleigh
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2004, 12:31
Emmanuel wrote:
ashkg wrote:

Emmanuel, the third option is 2.sqrt2.pi which is > 4

- ash


No, ashkg, 2*sqrt(PI) < 4 because 4*PI < 16, because PI = 3.14 < 4.



Emmanuel, what you have written is correct, but what is given is 2.srqt2.pi not 2*sqrt(PI). Maneesh, thanks. You are thinking outside the box. It took me several minutes to find the answer using traditional math.
_________________

gmat2004

  [#permalink] 29 Jun 2004, 12:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the diagram to the right, triangle PQR has a right angle sudeeptasahu29 11 28 Mar 2014, 23:17
Experts publish their posts in the topic In the diagram to the right, triangle PQR has a right angle applecrisp 7 01 Dec 2007, 22:44
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the diagram to the right, triangle PQR has a right angle jimjohn 6 31 Oct 2007, 08:07
In the diagram to the right, triangle PQR has a right angle Piter 13 23 Aug 2007, 12:55
1 In the diagram to the right, triangle PQR has a right angle Witchiegrlie 17 13 Apr 2007, 09:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the figure below, if isosceles right angle PQR has an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.