Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the GMAT world, is 0 considered to be a multiple?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

In the GMAT world, is 0 considered to be a multiple? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 20:17
Apologies guys, a very basic query :?

In the GMAT world, is 0 considered to be a multiple of an integer?

eg: Would GMAT say that 0 is a multiple of 5? Or that 0 is a multiple of 6?

Many Thanks,
TheToastedBread
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: In the GMAT world, is 0 considered to be a multiple? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 21:02
TheToastedBread wrote:
Apologies guys, a very basic query :?

In the GMAT world, is 0 considered to be a multiple of an integer?

eg: Would GMAT say that 0 is a multiple of 5? Or that 0 is a multiple of 6?

Many Thanks,
TheToastedBread


I think it is, got example?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 97
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

No [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 08:46
0 is not a multiple of anything. Have a calculator? Put in any integer divided by 0. Remember, multiple = divisor (same thing).

if you do that your calculator should read 'error' or 'undefined' because it is.

So to answer your question. How many multiples are there of 5? There are only 2, 1 and 5, making it a prime number.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 399
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: No [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 08:50
dr908 wrote:
0 is not a multiple of anything. Have a calculator? Put in any integer divided by 0. Remember, multiple = divisor (same thing).

if you do that your calculator should read 'error' or 'undefined' because it is.

So to answer your question. How many multiples are there of 5? There are only 2, 1 and 5, making it a prime number.


you couldn't be more wrong. factors=divisor.

5 has an infinite amount of multiples, as does every real number.

zero is a multiple of every integer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 399
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: In the GMAT world, is 0 considered to be a multiple? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 08:56
TheToastedBread wrote:
Apologies guys, a very basic query :?

In the GMAT world, is 0 considered to be a multiple of an integer?

eg: Would GMAT say that 0 is a multiple of 5? Or that 0 is a multiple of 6?

Many Thanks,
TheToastedBread


mathematics says 0 is a multiple of five. the GMAT does not invent math truths. the only interesting thing you should note is that sqroot(x^2)=|x| and not +/- x.

instead -sqrt(x^2)= -x

not sure why they make the distinction, as i've never run across that before.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: No [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 08:57
dr908 wrote:
0 is not a multiple of anything. Have a calculator? Put in any integer divided by 0. Remember, multiple = divisor (same thing).

if you do that your calculator should read 'error' or 'undefined' because it is.

So to answer your question. How many multiples are there of 5? There are only 2, 1 and 5, making it a prime number.


I think you might have got the operation reversed.

Use 3 for example.
Say x is a multiple of 3, you get...
x = 3*integer
Therefore, x/3 = integer
So if x=0, then you get integer=0.

However, if you say x is a divisor of 3.
Then you get
3/x = integer
In this case, x cannot be zero.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 97
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Correct [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 13:10
I made a mistake. i got divisor and multiple switched. Apologize for any confusion.

Substitute 'factor' for 'multiple' in my statement, and what I have said is true.

Anonymousgmat is wrong though, i could have been more wrong. I could have said 1=2. Good thing I didn't or anonymousgmat would have been right.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2007
Posts: 128
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: No [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 16:11
dr908 wrote:
0 is not a multiple of anything. Have a calculator? Put in any integer divided by 0. Remember, multiple = divisor (same thing).

if you do that your calculator should read 'error' or 'undefined' because it is.

So to answer your question. How many multiples are there of 5? There are only 2, 1 and 5, making it a prime number.


I think you're confusing multiples with factors. The multiples of 5 are 5, 10, 15, 20,.......... The factors of 5 are 5 and 1. Factors=divisors. Since 5x0=0, it makes sense to me that 0 could be a multiple. But I don't know if that is true mathematically or if GMAT considers 0 a multiple.
Re: No   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2007, 16:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Be considered for multiple programs at Kellogg... Chrisryansmith 5 24 Aug 2014, 01:25
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is 0 (zero) to be considered as a multiple of every number? siyer 9 03 Nov 2010, 05:45
Would you consider 0 to be a multiple of a number z? The ioiio 0 01 Aug 2007, 22:49
Is 0 considered to be a multiple of all numbers? Thanks khaos 2 08 Feb 2007, 12:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the GMAT world, is 0 considered to be a multiple?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.