Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the Gulf of Mexico's 'dead zone,' every summer aquatic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 14

In the Gulf of Mexico's 'dead zone,' every summer aquatic [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 03:56
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:39) correct 26% (05:25) wrong based on 19 sessions
In the Gulf of Mexico's 'dead zone,' every summer aquatic life is smothered in an area as large as the state of New Jersey, which, according to scientists, is caused by excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River.

A) which, according to scientists, is caused by excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River.

B) which scientists say is caused by excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River.

C) the cause of which, according to scientists, is excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River.

D) the cause of which is excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River say the scientists.

E) that comes from the flushing of excess nitrogen down the Mississippi River, according to scientists.

:dunnow :zoom :wall

I am fed of getting answers wrong. :/
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

---Winners do it differently---

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 67 [3] , given: 34

Re: Tough and close SC [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
In the Gulf of Mexico's 'dead zone,' every summer aquatic life is smothered in an area as large as the state of New Jersey, which, according to scientists, is caused by excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River.

A) which, according to scientists, is caused by excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River.
Here which referring to New Jersey, which is not caused by excess nitrogen.

B) which scientists say is caused by excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River.
Here which referring to New Jersey, which is not caused by excess nitrogen.
C) the cause of which, according to scientists, is excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River.
Leave for the time being.
D) the cause of which is excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River say the scientists.
Here subject of verb say is "the cause of which is excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River" ; lets replace this with We so sentence is we say the scientist. So ""the cause of which is excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River" is not saying anything to scientist.
E) that comes from the flushing of excess nitrogen down the Mississippi River, according to scientists.
Here "that comes from the flushing of excess nitrogen down the Mississippi River" is acting as a essential modifier so sentence is missing verb.

I hope my explanations helps.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: Tough and close SC [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 04:11
get the wrong answer :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 14

Re: Tough and close SC [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 18:36
Thanks rphardu. I got the point that i was missing.. 'which' wrongly referred to New Jersey and hence a wrong choice.

---Winners do it differently---

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough and close SC [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 18:51
stuff like this is easy once you see the silly mistakes you overlook. I almost chose A. But double back when I realized A and B are very similar.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Tough and close SC [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 07:09
Expert's post
There is something that is not congruous in rphardu’s thesis about the choice D. To call "the cause of which is excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River" as the subject of the sentence is off the mark in the least. The actual parsing of the sentence is “Scientists say the cause of which is excess nitrogen flushed down the Mississippi River” in which case, the subject of the verb ‘are’ is simply ‘scientists’ and the phrase ‘the cause of which blah, blah’, the object. The phrase 'the cause of which' has no more function than to act as a benami for the relative pronoun ‘which’ and is used to circumvent the touch rule of relative pronouns. So I do not find anything grammatically wrong with D. But D is logically wrong because, nowhere in the original the passage, it is said that the scientists say this or that. It simply states ‘according to scientists’, which choice C religiously reproduces. That is the reason IMO C is better than D.

E is wrong because, when read along with the un-underlined previous part , the choice seems to say that New Jersey comes from the flushing; This is just akin to choice A and B which are wrong for using ‘which’ flouting the touch rule

But how does an essential modifier lead to the missing the verb in E?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Tough and close SC   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2011, 07:09