Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Jul 2015, 15:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 192 [5] , given: 116

In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 15:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:17) correct 45% (01:18) wrong based on 381 sessions
In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nineteenth century, important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had installed electric lighting, but electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still provided mainly by candles or gas.

(A) electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still
(B) electricity was in less than one percent of homes and lighting still
(C) there were less than one percent of homes with electricity, where lighting was still being
(D) there was less than one percent of homes that had electricity, having lighting that was still
(E) less than one percent of homes had electricity, where lighting had still been

plz explain the ans and throw some light on why E is wrong?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: In the major cities of [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 16:50
This post received
KUDOS
In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nineteenth century, important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had installed electric lighting, but electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still provided mainly by candles or gas
(A) electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still -- Correct Answer. Proper verb used to differntiate between two different times. By end of nineteenth century, public places had lighting installed( was already in place before the time auther is talking abt) but homes were still using candles and gas (simeple past tense for the second event whoch was true at that time)
(B) electricity was in less than one percent of homes and lighting still - Incorrect - "and" is not neede here and changes the meaning
(C) there were less than one percent of homes with electricity, where lighting was still being -- Incorrect where lighting.. last part is modyfying electricity but should modify homes
(D) there was less than one percent of homes that had electricity, having lighting that was still -- Incorrect Modifier issue as (C)
(E) less than one percent of homes had electricity, where lighting had still been -- Incorrect. This answer suggests that only 1% of homes had electricity and situation must have changed by end of nineteeth century.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: In the major cities of [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 10:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
maybeam wrote:
In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nineteenth century, important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had installed electric lighting, but electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still provided mainly by candles or gas.

(C) there were less than one percent of homes with electricity, where lighting was still being
(D) there was less than one percent of homes that had electricity, having lighting that was still
(E) less than one percent of homes had electricity, where lighting had still been

Here we go...

(A) electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where lighting was still --------- "where" is modifying adjacent "homes", keep it
(B) electricity was in less than one percent of homes and lighting still --------- " Lighting" was trying to modify "home" but "and" spoiled it
(C) there were less than one percent of homes with electricity, where lighting was still being ------- "where" cannot modify "electricity"
(D) there was less than one percent of homes that had electricity, having lighting that was still ------ use of "had electricity, having lighting that was still" is grammatically incorrect
(E) less than one percent of homes had electricity, where lighting had still been -------- "where" cannot modify "electricity"

Hence A ("where" can be used to identify a places only)

HTH
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 471

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 15:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: Q47 V29
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 551

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2014, 05:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nineteenth century,
important
public placessuch as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks
had installed electric lighting , but
electricity was in less than one percent of homes, where
lighting was still
provided mainly by candles or gas.

IC comma+but IC.

>>verb missing in lighting and intended meaning is changed by separating electricity and lighting.
>> Note: "where" here points to homes not electricity so that's fine.
>> incorrect use of -ing participle.

Between A and C:
Is the only issue with C is "being"? Request others to share the pointers...

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.34

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2014, 06:46
JarvisR wrote:
In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nineteenth century,
important
lighting was still

IC comma+but IC.

>>verb missing in lighting and intended meaning is changed by separating electricity and lighting.

Between A and C:

in C, the modifier "where lightning" is modifying electricity, and this modification doesn't make sense.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: Q47 V29
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 551

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2014, 09:06
jwang27 wrote:
JarvisR wrote:
important
lighting was still

IC comma+but IC.

Between A and C:

in C, the modifier "where lightning" is modifying electricity, and this modification doesn't make sense.

IMO it's fine. Excerpt from M-Gmat site for option A. So on the same note "where" usage in C should be fine.
http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/in-the-major-cities-of-industrialized-countries-at-the-end-t1153.html
Request other members to elucidate on this.
====================================
in general, these modifiers can refer to either
noun
or
noun + prepositional phrase
you have to use context to tell the difference definitively; in this case, the context is "homes", not "one percent of homes".
===================================

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 6

Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2014, 15:31
maybeam wrote:

E has two problems
1. where is modifying electricity when it should modify homes
2. every clause has perfect tense and hence does not maintain sequence of events.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2014, 19:50

Hi All, My only confusion is between A and C. A looks like passive construction and hence destroys the parallel construction of the sentence where the part before "but" is in active construction. Also, the part after "but" should preferably be an independent clause and hence a construction starting with "There" is better.

I think C is correct as, the part after "but" starts with "There" and looks like a complete independent clause, able making meaning of its own. Also, the modifier is not incorrectly placed as the part after "Where" is secondary modifier to "Homes" and doesn't require Touch Rule.

Somebody please respond to my explanation, as to where I am wrong. Thanks in advance for your valuable input.

I may be wrong, but its fine................ I am still learning :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 35

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2014, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Kaushik,

1) Usage of being is wrong in C. For details check out http://gmatclub.com/forum/correct-usage-of-being-123156.html

2) Here where is used as a relative pronoun so it should be immediately after homes[noun] rather than electricity[noun]
For details check out https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/645/01/

3)
important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had installed electric lighting
electricity was in less than one percent of homes
there were less than one percent of homes with electricity

All three of the above sentences have subject and verb so they should be independent sentences.

Let me know if I am going wrong somewhere.

crazykaushik wrote:

Hi All, My only confusion is between A and C. A looks like passive construction and hence destroys the parallel construction of the sentence where the part before "but" is in active construction. Also, the part after "but" should preferably be an independent clause and hence a construction starting with "There" is better.

I think C is correct as, the part after "but" starts with "There" and looks like a complete independent clause, able making meaning of its own. Also, the modifier is not incorrectly placed as the part after "Where" is secondary modifier to "Homes" and doesn't require Touch Rule.

Somebody please respond to my explanation, as to where I am wrong. Thanks in advance for your valuable input.

I may be wrong, but its fine................ I am still learning :)

I don't need Kudos, please just correct me if I am wrong.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 2

Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2014, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
crazykaushik wrote:
Hi All, My only confusion is between A and C. A looks like passive construction

Hi Kaushik, I don't believe A is passive. In fact, I don't believe this structure can even have a passive voice (for example, try constructing the passive voice of: Jack is honest).

In any case, it's a moot point because:

Quote:
hence destroys the parallel construction of the sentence where the part before "but" is in active construction.

Active and passive voices can be parallel to each other. Basically same voice is a non-issue in parallelism. For example, following would be correct:

Jack was brought up in a very poor family, but he did well later in life.

The first part is passive, while the second part (after but) is active.

Quote:
Also, the part after "but" should preferably be an independent clause and hence a construction starting with "There" is better.

You are right; just that A also has an independent clause after but.

Quote:
modifier is not incorrectly placed as the part after "Where" is secondary modifier to "Homes" and doesn't require Touch Rule.

Perhaps, but it is clear that the position of where is better in A, since it is placed just next to homes.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

EducationAisle: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2014, 20:54
EducationAisle wrote:
crazykaushik wrote:
Hi All, My only confusion is between A and C. A looks like passive construction

Hi Kaushik, I don't believe A is passive. In fact, I don't believe this structure can even have a passive voice (for example, try constructing the passive voice of: Jack is honest).

In any case, it's a moot point because:

Quote:
hence destroys the parallel construction of the sentence where the part before "but" is in active construction.

Active and passive voices can be parallel to each other. Basically same voice is a non-issue in parallelism. For example, following would be correct:

Jack was brought up in a very poor family, but he did well later in life.

The first part is passive, while the second part (after but) is active.

Quote:
Also, the part after "but" should preferably be an independent clause and hence a construction starting with "There" is better.

You are right; just that A also has an independent clause after but.

Quote:
modifier is not incorrectly placed as the part after "Where" is secondary modifier to "Homes" and doesn't require Touch Rule.

Perhaps, but it is clear that the position of where is better in A, since it is placed just next to homes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for the clarification. Nicely explained.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2015, 22:11
There is one more problem in option 'c' as the meaning of sentence goes wrong.
consider "one percent of X".
Here 'X' denotes 'homes with electricity' which is wrong as we are talking about all homes in general not specific to ones with electricity.
Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2015, 22:11