Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the Manhattan's SC Guide 8, 3rd ed at page 63, I

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

In the Manhattan's SC Guide 8, 3rd ed at page 63, I [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In the Manhattan's SC Guide 8, 3rd ed at page 63, I understand that if I join 2 main clauses with and, I have to put a comma before the and.

1. Applying this rule, why is it that the following sentence at page 62: - "The division was opening offices, hiring staff and investing in equipment" - that there is no comma after "hiring staff"?

2. How does that differ from the next sentence: - "They wanted to increase awareness, spark interest, and motivate purchases" - wherein there is a comma after "spark interest".

- Applying the logic of this sentence, at page 68 of the same book, why is it that there is no comma after "notify investors" for the "right" sentence under heading (2) Infinitives:- "It is critical to suspend activites, notify investors and say nothing".

Would appreciate any clarifications to the above. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 12

Re: Man SC Guide 8, 3rd ed - page 63 and page 68 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 06:20
This post received
KUDOS
skim wrote:
In the Manhattan's SC Guide 8, 3rd ed at page 63, I understand that if I join 2 main clauses with and, I have to put a comma before the and.

1. Applying this rule, why is it that the following sentence at page 62: - "The division was opening offices, hiring staff and investing in equipment" - that there is no comma after "hiring staff"?

2. How does that differ from the next sentence: - "They wanted to increase awareness, spark interest, and motivate purchases" - wherein there is a comma after "spark interest".

- Applying the logic of this sentence, at page 68 of the same book, why is it that there is no comma after "notify investors" for the "right" sentence under heading (2) Infinitives:- "It is critical to suspend activites, notify investors and say nothing".

You're getting confused with main clauses. When you join two main clauses, each clause is in itself a sentence.
E.g. He wanted to go to the party, and then he decided not to.
These are two main clauses, since each clause is in itself a complete sentence.

The two examples you just provided are not main clauses and the and is not used to connect them, but rather the and is used to join a "list of terms."
E.g. I like donuts, carrots, and ice cream.
or
I want to go swimming, skiing, and diving.

When using a comma to join a list, it is OPTIONAL to place a comma before the last word of the list. So,

I've been to Canada, Chile, and China.
I've been to Canada, Chile and China.

are BOTH correct.

Hope that makes sense.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 1

Re: Man SC Guide 8, 3rd ed - page 63 and page 68 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
bipolarbear wrote:
skim wrote:

You're getting confused with main clauses. When you join two main clauses, each clause is in itself a sentence.
E.g. He wanted to go to the party, and then he decided not to.
These are two main clauses, since each clause is in itself a complete sentence.

The two examples you just provided are not main clauses and the and is not used to connect them, but rather the and is used to join a "list of terms."
E.g. I like donuts, carrots, and ice cream.
or
I want to go swimming, skiing, and diving.

When using a comma to join a list, it is OPTIONAL to place a comma before the last word of the list. So,

I've been to Canada, Chile, and China.
I've been to Canada, Chile and China.

are BOTH correct.

Hope that makes sense.

I think also that it depends on whether you're using an American english or the British english. From what I understand, the british english doesn't favor using a coma before "and" in a list. The american english, however, tends to favor adding a comma before "and" in a list. but sometimes you can find both approaches are used even in the american english, so it's interesting to read your explanation.
Re: Man SC Guide 8, 3rd ed - page 63 and page 68   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2009, 10:03