Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the mid-1920s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 02:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

31% (02:12) correct 68% (01:04) wrong based on 45 sessions
In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

(A) that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance
(B) investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance
(C) for investigating what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause
(D) that investigated changes in working conditions’ effects on workers’ performance
(E) to investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

What's the answer and why?
Director
Director
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 03:07
its
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

more to do with meaning

its a GPrep Q (too).

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 134 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
Read Ron's(MGMAT tutor) explanations

the participle "investigating" follows "experiments" immediately. no filler words are necessary; this is good concision.
the wording is clear; there are no awkward double possessives, etc., as in some of the other choices.
"would" is used properly here, as a past-tense form of "will". (i.e., if this sentence were translated into the present tense, it would read "...that changes ... will have")

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [4] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
rgarg1nortel wrote:
In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

(A) that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance
(B) investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance
(C) for investigating what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause
(D) that investigated changes in working conditions’ effects on workers’ performance
(E) to investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

-“that” is modifying experiment. It is illogical to write that “experiment” would investigate. Hence wrong

- A present participle modifying the total sentence is allowed in GMAT. Hence correct

- “what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause “ is totally written in awkward manner. Hence incorrect.

-“that” is modifying experiment. It is illogical to write that “experiment” would investigate. Hence wrong

- “what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance”
is totally written in awkward manner. Hence incorrect.

Hope this helps
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 2

Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
jade3 wrote:
rgarg1nortel wrote:

- A present participle modifying the total sentence is allowed in GMAT. Hence correct

- “what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause “ is totally written in awkward manner. Hence incorrect.

- “what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance”

Hope this helps

Actually 'that' belongs to a category called 'essential' modifiers. Essential modifiers can surprisingly modify either the word or the phrase before them, whatever makes sense; this is as opposed to non-essential modifiers such as 'which', which (almost always) modify the word preceding those modifiers.

B expresses the meaning in a most lucid manner and is hence the correct answer. Usage such as "working conditions’ effects " or "what the effects changes in working conditions" are clearly awkward.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB
Faculty @ EducationAisle
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Read testimonials of our students who made it to top schools (IIMs, ISB, Darden and XLRI, among others): http://EducationAisle.com/testimonials.html

No "kudos" are required if you find this post useful; absorbing this learning and getting a great score would be your best gratitude.

BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 04:56
EducationAisle wrote:
jade3 wrote:
rgarg1nortel wrote:

Hope this helps

Actually 'that' belongs to a category called 'essential' modifiers. Essential modifiers can surprisingly modify either the word or the phrase before them, whatever makes sense; this is as opposed to non-essential modifiers such as 'which', which (almost always) modify the word preceding those modifiers.

B expresses the meaning in a most lucid manner and is hence the correct answer. Usage such as "working conditions’ effects " or "what the effects changes in working conditions" are clearly awkward.

That was a really tricky question. Luckily, we have you guys here to explain the best answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 21:35
I selected D and you guys proved me wrong :)
B is the best. I thought a participle modifier would be preceded by comma. It is no necessary I think.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 11:53
According to this source* the construction "preposition"+"noun"+"participle" is always wrong, and that is why I didnt choose. Please clarify.

*source: http://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Ultimate-Sen ... 780&sr=8-1

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 18:02
went with B after 2 mins. Little too long for my liking but I found my self re-reading A and B
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 12:03
jade3 wrote:
rgarg1nortel wrote:

Hope this helps

But in B investigating is modifying experiments, in the same way as in A and D.
Could you clarify this?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
rgarg1nortel wrote:

B it is.
an -Ing form is best used to express the result of the main clause.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 137 [1] , given: 169

Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
B.

To add to the explanations:

effects on - correct idiom. just to strike out C.

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 13:33
noboru wrote:
According to this source* the construction "preposition"+"noun"+"participle" is always wrong, and that is why I didnt choose. Please clarify.

nobody is going to clarify this?
thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 09:27
noboru wrote:
noboru wrote:

nobody is going to clarify this?
thanks.

Not so sure of this link there.. Perhaps, experts may share something...

I feel E is not awkward and sounds indeed unambiguous.
Why do we have "would have" by the way in B?
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 75

Re: sc 1000 question [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 09:46
noboru wrote:

you are right but ; prep+noun+verb-ing can be correct if noun is intended object of preposition.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Director
Director
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the mid-1920s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 05:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the mid-1920s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2013, 05:22