Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 01:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

68% (01:00) correct 32% (01:02) wrong based on 23 sessions
In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percent of miles driven on Partoria's roads but are involved in 12 percent of all highway fatalities. The very largest trucks -those with three trailers- had less than a third of the accident rate of single- and double-trailer trucks. Clearly, therefore, one way for Partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to require shippers to increase their use of triple-trailer trucks.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) No matter what changes Partoria makes in the regulation of trucking, it will have to keep smaller roads off-limits to all large trucks.
(B) So far only the best, most experienced drivers for Partorian trucking companies have been driving triple-trailer trucks.
(C) Very few fatal collisions involving trucks in Partoria are collisions between two trucks.
(D) In Partoria, the safety record of the trucking industry as a whole has improved slightly over the past ten years.
(E) In Partoria, the maximum legal payload of a triple-trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single-trailer trucks.

Please share your line of reasoning because I don't understand the OA of this problem.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [2] , given: 106

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
RisingForceX wrote:
sudeep wrote:
B only is relevant.

----
(1:10)

Thanks for quick response, sudeep. I strongly agree with you that only (B) is relevant to the argument. However, I don't feel that this option weaken the argument obviously. So, would you please give me more explanations?

My reasoning:

Trailers types :

1 trailer
2 trailer
(largest) 3 trailer - fewer accidents than others

What could be the reason - largest are better option for transportation, the drivers that drive largest trucks are better(actually best among the drivers), or they drive on the routes which are less vulnerable to accidents. There could be more reasons but I just picked 3 and the last one, referring to route, is also not relevant as it is neither discussed in the passage nor given as an option.

Passage picked the first reason. How can it be weakened? Only if we can prove that other reason was there and not the one picked.

So, B points to the second reason.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [2] , given: 25

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percent of miles driven on Partoria's roads but are involved in 12 percent of all highway fatalities. The very largest trucks -those with three trailers- had less than a third of the accident rate of single- and double-trailer trucks. Clearly, therefore, one way for Partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to require shippers to increase their use of triple-trailer trucks.

(A) No matter what changes Partoria makes in the regulation of trucking, it will have to keep smaller roads off-limits to all large trucks - Does not weaken the argument as the restriction applies to all large trucks
(B) So far only the best, most experienced drivers for Partorian trucking companies have been driving triple-trailer trucks - CORRECT. Suggests that the drivers of the should be replaced with more experienced drivers rather than the trucks
(C) Very few fatal collisions involving trucks in Partoria are collisions between two trucks.Out of scope
(D) In Partoria, the safety record of the trucking industry as a whole has improved slightly over the past ten years.Out of scope
(E) In Partoria, the maximum legal payload of a triple-trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single-trailer trucks.Does not weaken the argument
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 62

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
UtterNonsense wrote:
Let's assume 1-T, 2-T and 3-T all travel equal number of miles and for the ease of calculation let's also assume that 1-T and 2-T were involved in 6 accidents/mile each.
Then,
accident rate (3-T) < (1/3)(1-T) = (1/3)*6 = 2; accident rate(3-T) < 2/mile
Total accident rate (3-T) <4/mile. This is still less than the what it is for 1-T and 2-T
What am I missing over here?

Rule 1 - Please DO NOT ASSUME anything in question stem in CR

In this question, Large trucks are involved in 6% of miles driven
It is the average of (1T,2T,3T) large trucks...Nowhere in the question is it given the differentiation among 1T/2T/3T trucks the number of miles driven, so how can you assume they have driven the same miles?

Your Assumption was FALSE...You did not understand the question stem...That is what you were missing.

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 01:54
B only is relevant.

----

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 02:38
sudeep wrote:
B only is relevant.

----

Thanks for quick response, sudeep. I strongly agree with you that only (B) is relevant to the argument. However, I don't feel that this option weaken the argument obviously. So, would you please give me more explanations?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 18:05
well explained sudeep, +1 Kudo.
Intern
Intern

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 19:33
+1 ,sudeep.

Awesome explanation. Thank you.
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 21:32
B>Its not the trucks its the drivers..

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 06:30
Good one!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 22:27
If I am not wrong then OA is A for this question. This is from Sets
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 10:20
I have a confusion about this one. My question is that the author here says the triple trailer trucks are involved in less than 1/3rd road accidents as compared to single and double trailer trucks which would mean that triple trailer trucks are involved in fewer accidents than average to single and double trailer truck ( Suppose single and double trailer trucks are involved in 300 accident then their average is 150 accident/truck where as triple trailer truck is involved in third of the total i.e. 1/3*(300) = 100) then why does author in the last line say the that best way to reduce deaths it to reduce shippers to increase their use to triple trailer truck, which according to the passage is involved in fewer number of accidents.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 62

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 11:30
UtterNonsense wrote:
I have a confusion about this one. My question is that the author here says the triple trailer trucks are involved in less than 1/3rd road accidents as compared to single and double trailer trucks which would mean that triple trailer trucks are involved in fewer accidents than average to single and double trailer truck ( Suppose single and double trailer trucks are involved in 300 accident then their average is 150 accident/truck where as triple trailer truck is involved in third of the total i.e. 1/3*(300) = 100) then why does author in the last line say the that best way to reduce deaths it to reduce shippers to increase their use to triple trailer truck, which according to the passage is involved in fewer number of accidents.

Read the question carefully - This is talking about the accident rate and NOT the number of accidents

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 62

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 11:32
RisingForceX wrote:

Question - stem

Accident rate = (total number of accidents)/(total number of miles driven)
LT(1+2+3 -trailer) - 6% miles, 12% fatalities
accident rate - (3-trailer) < (1/3)(1-T) and (3-trailer) < (1/3)(2-T)
Conclusion - (3T use ++) leads to (deaths --)

(A) No matter what changes Partoria makes in the regulation of trucking, it will have to keep smaller roads off-limits to all large trucks.
Road size is not linked to deaths - Wrong
(B) So far only the best, most experienced drivers for Partorian trucking companies have been driving triple-trailer trucks.
ok - another reason for less deaths - less experienced drivers drive the 1T/2T trucks resulting in less accidents and not because of something in 3T trucks - If the more experienced driver had driven 1T/2T trucks, they would also have had lower accident rate -> lower accidents -> lower deaths
(C) Very few fatal collisions involving trucks in Partoria are collisions between two trucks.
Does not differentiate the collision b/w 1T/2T/3T trucks
(D) In Partoria, the safety record of the trucking industry as a whole has improved slightly over the past ten years.
No information about differences in collision of 1T/2T/3T trucks
(E) In Partoria, the maximum legal payload of a triple-trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single-trailer trucks.
Payload is not affecting the accidents/deaths as per the argument directly/inference

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Manager
Manager

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 11:57
krishp84 wrote:
RisingForceX wrote:

Question - stem

Accident rate = (total number of accidents)/(total number of miles driven)
LT(1+2+3 -trailer) - 6% miles, 12% fatalities
accident rate - (3-trailer) < (1/3)(1-T) and (3-trailer) < (1/3)(2-T)
Conclusion - (3T use ++) leads to (deaths --)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Let's assume 1-T, 2-T and 3-T all travel equal number of miles and for the ease of calculation let's also assume that 1-T and 2-T were involved in 6 accidents/mile each.
Then,
Total accident rate (3-T) <4/mile. This is still less than the what it is for 1-T and 2-T
What am I missing over here?
Manager
Manager

Re: CR-triple-trailer trucks (from GMATPrep) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 19:49
I get it now. I misunderstood the question stem. Thanks Krish!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 19:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.7
WE: Business Development (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 09:45
RisingForceX wrote:

P : Accidents occur due to Large trucks ( All T1 , T2 and T3 )

P : T3 contributed to approximately 33% accidents , whereas T1 and T2 contributed 67% of the accidents.

C : Hence T3 must be favoured

The author doesn't take into consideration the expertise of the drivers while reaching the conclusion .

It is possible that when T3 drivers are used to drive the T1 and T2 trucks accidents might be reduced...

Thus expertise of the Drivers must be the point of consideration , coz trucks don't travel on their own they are driven by Humans...
Re: In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 09:45