Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 14

In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (02:21) correct 35% (01:31) wrong based on 484 sessions
In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percent of miles driven on partoria's roads but are involved in 12 percent of all highway fatalities. The very largest trucks those with three trailers had less than a third of the accident rate of single and double trailer trucks. Clearly, therefore, one way for partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to reduce shippers to increase their use of triple trucks.

which of the following, if true, Most seriously weakens the argument ?

A. No matter what changes partoria makes in the regulation of trucking, it will have to keep some smaller roads off limits to all of larger trucks.
B. so far only the best, most experienced drivers for Patorian trucking companies have been driving triple trailer trucks.
C. very few fatal collisions involving trucks in patoria are collisions between two trucks.
D. In patoria, the safety record of trucking industry as a whole has improbved slightly over the past ten years.
E. In patoria, the maximum legal payload of a trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single trailer trucks.

Source: GMAT Prep
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 24 Aug 2013, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 14

Re: Shippers to increase their use of triple trucks - CR [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 06:25
Can someone explain why not E ?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shippers to increase their use of triple trucks - CR [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
zz0vlb wrote:
Can someone explain why not E ?

Ans B

Why Not E: The argument is not talking about the maximum/minimum capabilities of trucks nor the loading capacities rather the argument is about the safety scenario regarding the usage of small/big trucks.

Option B says the assumed safety of largest trucks is not due to truck themselves rather depends upon the driver..!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: Shippers to increase their use of triple trucks - CR [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 12:40
B it is.

the author says that if deaths have to be reduced in partoria then people should use more of triple trailer trucks (they are more safer).

Option B weakens the argument by pointing out that the triple trailer trucks are driven by the most experienced drivers. Hence, the deaths are less in case of triple trucks because they are driven by experienced derivers and not because the triple trucks are any special or safe.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shippers to increase their use of triple trucks - CR [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
Come on....the question can no way be correct....if the OA has to be B, the conclusion will need to be corrected accordingly....

"" Clearly, therefore, one way for partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to [strike]reduce[/strike] REQUIRE shippers to increase their use of triple trucks. ""

reduce should be REQUIRE....or else there a contradiction between the premises and the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shippers to increase their use of triple trucks - CR [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 21:59
Pathetic question...

I challenge that this isnt a GMAT PREP content. I have referred to various places and each comes up with its own OA.

I feel such questions waste time and increase frustration....

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Shippers to increase their use of triple trucks - CR [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 01:07
can the answer be A?
The reason given is that no matter what changes are done in regulation of trucking, it still have to ensure that smaller roads are kept of larger trucks which can keep the rate of fatal accidents unchanged.
Please correct me in my reasoning if needed.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shippers to increase their use of triple trucks - CR [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 05:07
acer2knight wrote:
Come on....the question can no way be correct....if the OA has to be B, the conclusion will need to be corrected accordingly....

"" Clearly, therefore, one way for partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to [strike]reduce[/strike] REQUIRE shippers to increase their use of triple trucks. ""

reduce should be REQUIRE....or else there a contradiction between the premises and the conclusion.

The word "reduce" confused me as well :(
Not sure .... may be I not understanding the sentence correctly ... Could any expert explain the meaning?

Thanks

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 22:31
Of the given choices, only B talks of the subject matter most correctly. Rest of the options are vague or irrelevant.

A. No matter what changes partoria makes in the regulation of trucking, it will have to keep some smaller roads off limits to all of larger trucks. We are not concerned with roads where the trucks would be allowed. We are talking of the safety of the traffic. Irrelevant
B. so far only the best, most experienced drivers for Patorian trucking companies have been driving triple trailer trucks. Talks of triple trailer trucks and the drivers. It states that the triple trailer trucks are driven by the most expert drivers. Thus, there are reasons other than trucks themselves that are responsible for such high accidents.
Lets consider it in another way. Drivers are expert yet the trailers are involved in high number of accidents. Reasons could be: there are issues with the trailers themselves - improper lighting, poor maintenance, occupy large part of the road, other vehicle owners find it difficult to drive in their presence, etc. ; or that the trailers are good, but the other factors are responsible - other vehicle owners are unable to overtake it properly, roads are not proper, turns for the trailer are not safe/ adequate, safety guidelines for the trailers are inadequate, etc.

C. very few fatal collisions involving trucks in patoria are collisions between two trucks. Passage is more about general traffic safety and not between the two kinds of trucks. Irrelevant
D. In patoria, the safety record of trucking industry as a whole has improved slightly over the past ten years. Previous improvement can't be taken as good enough improvement.
E. In patoria, the maximum legal payload of a trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single trailer trucks.Concerned with safety of the traffic. Payload may be different but it will affect the roads and trucks only, since they will have to take higher load. Not sure how will it affect other traffic.
I too agree that the word "reduce" should be "require". Else the option B can have positive and negative meanings.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 07:47
Can someone explain how we can separate option E from the conclusion - that one way for Partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to require shippers to increase their use of triple trucks??

If the maximum legal payload for a triple trailer truck is less than 3 times the max legal payload of the largest of the single trailer trucks, it would mean an increase in cost of opeartion for the Shippers who would naturally oppose the move..
doesn't it score good enough to weaken the argument??

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 75

Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 08:09
thebigr002 wrote:
Can someone explain how we can separate option E from the conclusion - that one way for Partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to require shippers to increase their use of triple trucks??

If the maximum legal payload for a triple trailer truck is less than 3 times the max legal payload of the largest of the single trailer trucks, it would mean an increase in cost of opeartion for the Shippers who would naturally oppose the move..
doesn't it score good enough to weaken the argument??

Payloads, legal or illegal deals with the taxation purpose but here the argument is talking about the accidents. The accidents are recorded irrespective of the legality of the truck loads and its respective numbers.
Maybe, if the arguments deals with the tax or the revenue the, we can consider (E) somewhere in the AC.

Hope this helps !

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 95

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 00:13
This question appeared as the first question Verbal section of my GMAT Prep Test 1 , and I got it wrong. Option B looked good to me but option E appealed more.
Can somebody, experts, please explain why option E is incorrect? If the payload of the largest trucks is less , doesn't it mean that they are less prone to accidents than smaller trucks which in addition to being small are carrying more loads?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 585 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 00:39
nitin6305 wrote:
This question appeared as the first question Verbal section of my GMAT Prep Test 1 , and I got it wrong. Option B looked good to me but option E appealed more.
Can somebody, experts, please explain why option E is incorrect? If the payload of the largest trucks is less , doesn't it mean that they are less prone to accidents than smaller trucks which in addition to being small are carrying more loads?

Hi,
conclusion:one way for partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to reduce shippers to increase their use of triple trucks

which of the following, if true, Most seriously weakens the argument ?
since we have to weaken the argument..means we have to show that increase use of large trucks will not reduce no. of death.

now as you are saying:
If the payload of the largest trucks is less , doesn't it mean thatthey are less prone to accidentsthan smaller trucks which in addition to being small are carrying more loads

means you are saying largest trucks are more safe....so IMO this one strengthening the conclusion.

let me know if i misunderstood you.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1152 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 00:48
This post received
KUDOS
nitin6305 wrote:

To answer your question:
No. The text does not say anything like that, yours is an additional assumption.

We want to weaken that "one way for partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to reduce shippers to increase their use of triple trucks."

E talks about the maximum payload
E. In patoria, the maximum legal payload of a trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single trailer trucks.
that is nowhere mentioned in the passage, so we cannot infer that is connected somehow to the incidents.

B on the other hand says that
B. so far only the best, most experienced drivers for Patorian trucking companies have been driving triple trailer trucks.
so the data on which the conclusion is based ("The very largest trucks those with three trailers had less than a third of the accident rate of single and double trailer trucks.") is not reliable, so the whole argument is weakened.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager

Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 03:34
@blueseas: I meant to say that option E gives one reason for the reduced accident rate for very large trucks like option B does.
@zarrolou: Weaken question always have information which is alien to stimulus like option B which talks about drivers but the stimulus provides us no information about the same.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 585 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
nitin6305 wrote:
@blueseas: I meant to say that option E gives one reason for the reduced accident rate for very large trucks like option B does.

In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percent of miles driven on partoria's roads but are involved in 12 percent of all highway fatalities. The verylargest trucks those with three trailers had less than a third of the accident rate of single and double trailer trucks. Clearly, therefore, one way for partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to reduce shippers to increase their use of triple trucks.

which of the following, if true, Most seriously weakensthe argument ?

B. so far only the best, most experienced drivers for Patorian trucking companies have been driving triple trailer trucks.:
this option tells us that drivers who drive the triple trailer truck...they are the best and the most experienced....and that is the reason accident rate with these type of truck is less and not because..these types of trucks are safe.

now in this option ...it is talking about the maximum payload....but how can we connect this payload thing with accident rate...it can also be possible that more the payload more the stable and easy to manoeuvre trailer is....but cannot directly relate to accident rate.
moreover...it says that maximum load it can take...it doesnt say IT ALWAYS HAS TO TAKE THAT MUCH LOAD...so in no way it weakens.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

VP
VP
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1152 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 03:56
nitin6305 wrote:
@zarrolou: Weaken question always have information which is alien to stimulus like option B which talks about drivers but the stimulus provides us no information about the same.

Yes, you are correct BUT the info must stay within scope of the passage, must weaken a part of the reasoning.

Reasoning:

PREMISE:In the nation of partoria are very often involved in highway fatalities.
I)The very largest trucks those with three trailers had less than a third of the accident rate of single and double trailer trucks.
===>SO
II)One way for partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to reduce shippers to increase their use of triple trucks.

With B I am saying something like: "wait a moment! The data is not reliable, so I) is not more a solid basis and the passage I)===>II) is weakened".

If you have more doubts, please tell me your reasoning but remember that we cannot infer any connection between maximum legal payload and the incidents just because we do not have such info. It would be a guess.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager

Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 04:34
@aveenashvyas: Thanks for the effort and explanation.
@zarrolou: Thanks for the explanation. Choice E here is one of the best definition of "out of scope" answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 21

Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 21:43
Im bit confused between B and E

It says that it is because of experienced drivers the 3 trailer truck is having less accidents but it doesnt say that in - experienced drivers will cause accidents if they use these, it there is a confirmation that inexperienced drivers will have accident - then we can say the reason in passage is wrong as experience is more important than truck trailers

It say maximum payload for 3 trucks is less than sum of individual largest single trailer truck i.e patoria cannot use 3 trailer trucks with complete pay load, we have no relation between pay loads and number of accidents??

Can some one please help me??
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1285 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 22:01
adityapagadala wrote:
Im bit confused between B and E

It says that it is because of experienced drivers the 3 trailer truck is having less accidents but it doesnt say that in - experienced drivers will cause accidents if they use these, it there is a confirmation that inexperienced drivers will have accident - then we can say the reason in passage is wrong as experience is more important than truck trailers

It say maximum payload for 3 trucks is less than sum of individual largest single trailer truck i.e patoria cannot use 3 trailer trucks with complete pay load, we have no relation between pay loads and number of accidents??

Can some one please help me??

Hi adityapagadala

B is correct as your reasons above.
E is wrong just because the argument mentions nothing about "payload". Thus, we have no clue to determine whether E helps.

Note: Because Strengthen/weaken questions belong to "HURT family", they DO ACCEPT new information in the answers to strengthen/weaken the conclusion. However, "new information" differs from "out of scope".

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: In the nation of partoria, large trucks currently account   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2013, 22:01