Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 06:35
curious. where is the source of this question. I feel that this question is worded ambiguously.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 07:43
i also picked E. but after seeing OA. i tried to understand one point. DONT THINK TOO MUCH FOR GMAT. i.e. BE WELL WITH IN THE SCOPE of what is given in the question.

3 points given in the Q

- No. of drs,nurses and health care workers will increase
- also salary will increase rather than decreasing
- above are true because median age of world's population will increase

B - we have no specific info on salaries of drs, physical therapists or health care workers separately. as a group, their salaries are going to increase is only given. so not correct.
E - no mention is given in specific about the individual regions of the world. so not correct
D - not relevant
A - Increase in median age is the reason for rise in no. of health care workers. not the other way round. so not correct.
C - Increase in age, i.e. more life has led to rise in no. of healthcare. since older ppl need more attention, more HC workers.

hope i am clear in what i intend to share.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 08:44
Absolutely.Bang on target.Nice question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 09:04
srivicool wrote:
i also picked E. but after seeing OA. i tried to understand one point. DONT THINK TOO MUCH FOR GMAT. i.e. BE WELL WITH IN THE SCOPE of what is given in the question.

3 points given in the Q

- No. of drs,nurses and health care workers will increase
- also salary will increase rather than decreasing
- above are true because median age of world's population will increase

B - we have no specific info on salaries of drs, physical therapists or health care workers separately. as a group, their salaries are going to increase is only given. so not correct.
E - no mention is given in specific about the individual regions of the world. so not correct
D - not relevant
A - Increase in median age is the reason for rise in no. of health care workers. not the other way round. so not correct.
C - Increase in age, i.e. more life has led to rise in no. of healthcare. since older ppl need more attention, more HC workers.

hope i am clear in what i intend to share.

Your explanation for (B) being wrong doesn't really work, though, because they only talk about the AVERAGE of the salaries for all three health care types going up. Any or all of the three can increase, but at least one of them needs to for the average to go up. Comparing the different types (doctors vs. nurses vs. other types) isn't relevant - just that SOMEONE'S salary is going up. In (B), doctors and physical therapists are getting increasing pay, so the average will go up.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 10:33
thanks for the correction...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 18:11
I agree reg. E - it is mentioned in the passage -- last sentence. so, wont be an assumption any more.

I chose C

But, people who arrived at B have a good point.

Click that thing :) - Give kudos if u like this

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 19:38
I go for C.

B is wrong because it is not necessary that compensation of doctors + physical therapists > health workers for the average compensation to increase.

It can also be like compensation of doctors + health workers > physical therapists which also increases the average compensation. This can be true for any of combination of compensations.

Consider kudos for good explanations.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 23:59
+1 for C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 00:20
(E)Increase in the median age of the population will occur in all regions of the world.

now the argument states that:fact that the median age of the world’s population will increase steadily in this same period of time.

no matter it happens or doesnot happens in all the regions of the world but since the median age itself will increase (stated fact) hence there is definitely a chance that more health care people will need. But why and how? no answer from this option. Lets see C now.

(C) As a group, older people receive more attention from health care workers than do younger people.

how can the number of health workers increase?
ans. more requirement?
How can it create more requirement from the given facts?
ans. more people need more health care.
how?
ans. older people needs more helth care than younger

hence this is the assumption.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 01:03
I went with C

(B) The compensation of doctors and physical therapists who treat the elderly will increase more than that of other health care workers
No specific details about nurses, and other health care workers who needn't be physical therapists

(C) As a group, older people receive more attention from health care workers than do younger people.
Health care workers covers doctors , nurses as well and attention from them isn't something free
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 16:10
B & C are close. But for an assumption question, if you remove/negate the assumption, the argument should fall apart.

For B: Even if compensation of health care workers for elderly and younger are the same, the argument will still hold.

But for C: If the amount of healthcare received by the elderly is not greater than that received by the younger, the argument falls apart.

So C is correct.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 10:28
spriya wrote:
droopy57 wrote:
In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers will increase significantly worldwide. Even so, the average compensation received by such professional will not decline but rather is likely to increase. This is due, at least partly, to the fact that the median age of the world’s population will increase steadily in this same period of time.

The argument above depends logically upon which of the following assumptions?

a. The increase in the number of health care workers will be responsible for the increase in the average life span -> out of scope no mention of compensation
b. The compensation of doctors and physical therapists who treat the elderly will increase more than that of other health care workers -> this seems logical.Lets negate this compensation of doctors and physical therapists who treat the elderly will not increase compared with others .Then how come average compensation is likely to increase with increase in median age.Argument falls apart .IMO B
c. As a group, older people receive more attention from health care workers than do younger people. -> attention from health care proffs does not mean compensation for them.irrelevant
d. Geriatrics, a branch of medicine focusing on the health problems of older people, is the most expensive element of American health care. -> in general it says geriatrics is expensive .This does not help in the argument.eliminate
e. Increase in the median age of the population will occur in all regions of the world. -> This one is just indicating evenness increase in age but is not better than B.Since we are talking about world population and again even if we negate this statement.There is a possibility that docs go to other regions for treatment of people their and that decides their cmpensation.This is not necessary condition

If we apply same rule used in answer choice B and assume that the population increased in some localized city or part of world !! Then is it possible that the average sal of medical proffessional is going to increase??? No it does not!!!! doesn't the argument falling apart??
sanjay_gmat wrote:
droopy57 wrote:
droopy57 wrote:
In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers will increase significantly worldwide. Even so, the average compensation received by such professional will not decline but rather is likely to increase. This is due, at least partly, to the fact that the median age of the world’s population will increase steadily in this same period of time.

a. The increase in the number of health care workers will be responsible for the increase in the average life span
b. The compensation of doctors and physical therapists who treat the elderly will incrase more than that of other health care workers
c. As a group, older people receive more attention from health care workers than do younger people.
d. Geriatrics, a branch of medicine focusing on the health problems of older people, is the most expensive element of American health care.
e. Increase in the median age of the population will occur in all regions of the world.

Explanation (I don't fully understand):
Since the number of healthcare workers are on the rise along w/ the average compensation, the answer is supported by the rise in the number of elderly people. More workers will get more money, so it is assumed that the elderly are especially likely to require services of healthcare workers.

anyone that got the correct answer have a better explanation?

I believe B is a better answer than C. In B, the compensation of doctors of both age group increases. So, the average compensation increases. C doesn't talk abt the compensation at all.

Not agree with the OA and OE.

what is the source of the question?? atleast we can check the autheticity and parallelity to official stuff.....:P

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 11:23
It is most definitely C.

The argument states that their will be more healthcare professionals globally and that their salaries will not decline to do the ageing of the population.

A and B are not relevant to this argument. E just restates the last sentence and does not address their salaries. D is US specific and the question focuses on global salaries. Therefore we are left with C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 37

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 16:40
I chose E

Reason: The passage says that the healthcare will increase worldwide. Which means in many regions of the world. The passage says that the median age will increase worldwide. It does not say that it will increase in all parts of the world. What if everyone in India alone live long. So still the median age increases.
So in order for the healthcare profession to [highlight]flourish worldwide[/highlight]the [highlight]median age should increase in many parts of the world.[/highlight]
Is there anything wrong in this assumption?

Thanks,
VP

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 15:36
I picked B...please provide the explanation from the source
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 18:07
I will go with B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 20:11
I think we need to give assumption for "increase in average compensation of health workers even when the number of health workers is increasing"

IMO B should be answer since the median age is increasing and the compensation of health workers treating the elders will increase more than the other professionals so average compensation will increase.

C provides information that the older people receive more attention but how does that increase the average compensation.
More attention doesn't imply that more compensation would be given to the health professionals.

droopy57 wrote:
In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and other health care workers will increase significantly worldwide. Even so, the average compensation received by such professional will not decline but rather is likely to increase. This is due, at least partly, to the fact that the median age of the world’s population will increase steadily in this same period of time.

(A) The increase in the number of health care workers will be responsible for the increase in the average life span
(B) The compensation of doctors and physical therapists who treat the elderly will increase more than that of other health care workers
(D) Geriatrics, a branch of medicine focusing on the health problems of older people, is the most expensive element of American health care.
(E) Increase in the median age of the population will occur in all regions of the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 20:13
Hey droopy, Could you please provide source and OA of this question.

MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 01:12
E
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-17-2011

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- healthcare [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 01:41
droopy57 wrote:
In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and other health care workers will increase significantly worldwide. Even so, the average compensation received by such professional will not decline but rather is likely to increase. This is due, at least partly, to the fact that the median age of the world’s population will increase steadily in this same period of time.

The conclusion of the argument is the average compensation received by such professional will not decline but rather is likely to increase.
Evidence in support of this is the median age of the world’s population will increase steadily in this same period of time.

(A) The increase in the number of health care workers will be responsible for the increase in the average life span
Taking about average life span not the median. Introduces another concept not relevant to argument.
(B) The compensation of doctors and physical therapists who treat the elderly will increase more than that of other health care workers. Out of scope. As the conclusion says that average compensation is more because of increase in median age of the population
(C) As a group, older people receive more attention from health care workers than do younger people. Median age can only increase if the older people receive more attention. This was the missing link and hence the assumption
(D) Geriatrics, a branch of medicine focusing on the health problems of older people, is the most expensive element of American health care. Out of scope. No relevane
(E) Increase in the median age of the population will occur in all regions of the world. Not an assumption, already stated in the argument
Re: CR- healthcare   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2011, 01:41