Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past 20 year, there has been a significant increase

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 115

Kudos [?]: 170 [1] , given: 0

In the past 20 year, there has been a significant increase [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:12) correct 39% (01:17) wrong based on 459 sessions
In the past 20 years, there has a been a significant increase in the consumption of specialty dark chocolate products. During this same time period, there has been an increasing number of professional articles regarding the health benefits of consuming dark chocolate. Therefore, the increase in specialty dark chocolate consumption must have been caused by consumers’ awareness of the health benefits of dark chocolate.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the explanation for the increase in consumption

A) Milk Chocolate has been proven to have health benefits equal to that of dark chocolate
B) In the past 20 years, professionals have increasingly recommended eating specialty dark chocolates as a way to curb hunger throughout the day
C) On average, people today consume fifty percent more specialty dark chocolates than they did 20 years ago.
D) Dark Chocolate has experienced a drastic increase in price over the past 20 years when compared to other types of chocolate
E) Most people prefer the taste of milk chocolate over that of dark chocolate
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 32

Re: In the past 20 year, there has been a significant increase [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
Ramananda: I don't understand isn't curbing hunger part of the health benefits. If anything, B strengthens the argument.

Consider this case, people consumed more apples because of professional articles, which talked about the benefits. The sale of apples thus increased. Now if an answer says a professional but not a professional article recommended the benefits of apple, how is it different? I mean sure if u talk abt the physical presence. Its like an article in a medical journal written by a doctor and the doctor himself aren't the same.

Hey, I think the problem with your reasoning is that you are assuming that Curb hunger=Health benefits.

We have no such information in the passage that states explicitly that to curb hunger, it is part of the whole set of health benefits. There could be several other reasons why professionals are recommended eating dark chocs. For example, To work harder, to pay more attention at work, or to be satisfied with the work they are doing.
So this is just a trick so that we assume that a person is told to curb hunger only because he/she is seeking health benefits.

Hopefully with this outlook, it gets clear why B is weakening the argument. :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 105

CAT Tests
Re: In the past 20 year, there has been a significant increase [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 20:44
The conclusion is basically saying that the increase in consumer awareness caused the increase in consumption of dark chocolate.
The only choice that weakens the argument is B for the simple reason that it's not Consumer awareness that was responsible for the increased consumption, rather it was the advice of the doctors that dark chocolate helps in weight loss by curbing hunger.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the past 20 year, there has been a significant increase [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 09:12
B for me.

Not entirely sure about the line of reasoning, but correct me if i have gone astray.

Gist:The argument says that there are apparent health benefits of consuming dark chocolate and because consumers are aware of this they are consuming more dark chocolate.

Pre-Thinking: The weakening answer would provide us with any alternate reason for the increase of consumption of dark chocolate.

Now answer choice B says that professionals recommend chocolate to curb hunger and not because it has health benefits. Therefore, the choice weakens the argument by presenting an alternate reason on why the consumption of dark chocolate has increased.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: In the past 20 year, there has been a significant increase [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 04:35
Ramananda: I don't understand isn't curbing hunger part of the health benefits. If anything, B strengthens the argument.

Consider this case, people consumed more apples because of professional articles, which talked about the benefits. The sale of apples thus increased. Now if an answer says a professional but not a professional article recommended the benefits of apple, how is it different? I mean sure if u talk abt the physical presence. Its like an article in a medical journal written by a doctor and the doctor himself aren't the same.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: In the past 20 year, there has been a significant increase [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 04:59
B for me.

the argument says that the increase is as a result of consumer awareness of health benefits.
b: states and alternative reason for this increase: Dark chocolate is recommended, in the last 20 years, as a substitute for a daytime meal - nothing to do with health benefit
Re: In the past 20 year, there has been a significant increase   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2014, 04:59