Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 597 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 09:41
Expert's post
JP..
I hope you are answering D in the right manner.
D says : Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
You will answer in either yes or no, so as to get the contrasting solutions.
If the answer is yes, then reducing the use of pesticides in US reverses the decline in honeybee population. RESULT- There will not be any further decline in honeybee population. Hence there will not be any decline in the population of major pollinators of fruits and hence fruits can be made avaliable to the consumers in US. Acts as a weakener.
If the answer is no, then reducing the use of pesticides in US will not reverse the decline in honeybee population. RESULT:- The decline will continue and hence consumers will not be getting fruits. Acts as a strengthener.
Now this makes sense
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 357 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 09:49
Jp27 wrote:
If I'm in Pasir Ris New Town then I'm in Singapore.
If im NOT in Singapore then I'm Definitely NOT in Pasir Ris New Town

Mumbai is in india.
If i'm not in india -> then i'm not in mumbai.


I don't see any difference between two. but you claim otherwise. :oops:

Cheers


Difference is in these statements: -

If statement is:
Mumbai is in india.

Logical deduction->
If i'm in mubai ->then i'm in india

Correct Negation
If i'm not in india -> then i'm not in mumbai.
Incorrect Negation
If i'm not in mumbai-> then i'm not in india

Having explained that - I think both of us are not going to be convinced. I rest my case :-D
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 357 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 09:50
Hey marcab,
You too just proved D matters in evaluating the argument. Question asks for "least" case.
JP?
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief


Last edited by Vips0000 on 14 Nov 2012, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2375
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2297 [0], given: 692

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 10:16
Expert's post
Vips0000 wrote:
nelz007 wrote:
In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the United States has been cut in half. The decline is due primarily to the increasing use of pesticides in the United States, as well as to the introduction of two types of mites that weaken and kill the bees. Honeybees are the primary pollinators for a variety of important fruit crops, including oranges, apples, grapes, peaches, cranberries and watermelons. Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.

In evaluating the conclusion, which of the following questions would be LEAST useful to answer?

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?


Conclusion is: if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.
Lets see each choice one by one.

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
Even if the ans to this question is yes, chances are pesticides would eliminate those insects as well. note, we are evaluating this conclusion in the light of decline in bee population due to pesticides.
Therefore yes or no in this question does not matter in evaluating the argument.


B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
conclusion is that most fruits will no longer be available to customer. If the ans to this question is no that means there will be pollination and there will be fruits. if ans to this question is yes then we know that conclusion holds good. So this question helps.

C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
Yes/no to this question provides alternate method of pollination. if yes ->pollination -> fruits. if no -> no pollination -> no fruit. So this question helps.

D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
yes would mean if population continues to decline we can reverse the trend.-> continue pollination->fruits!
no would mean we can not reverse the trend -> no pollination->no fruits.


E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?[/
in this choice we are just eliminating middle man pollination of our other answer choices.. yes->fruits, no->no fruits.

Hence ans A it is.


No the answer here is D.

You are concerned ONLY of pollination or something related directly to it

The least is something that talks about others stuff.

For the argument at end: pesticide is the LEAST for evaluating the argument because is not the main point

Quote:
In evaluating the conclusion, which of the following questions would be LEAST useful to answer?

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions (the pollination is implied), like Chile and New Zealand?
C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?


;)
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 357 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 20:23
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
nelz007 wrote:
In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the United States has been cut in half. The decline is due primarily to the increasing use of pesticides in the United States, as well as to the introduction of two types of mites that weaken and kill the bees. Honeybees are the primary pollinators for a variety of important fruit crops, including oranges, apples, grapes, peaches, cranberries and watermelons. Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.

In evaluating the conclusion, which of the following questions would be LEAST useful to answer?

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?


Responding to 3 pms on this question!

I couldn't recall the honeybee question offhand but was convinced that it must be tricky if people are this unsettled because of it. But mind you, in my opinion, the question is straightforward. All you need to do is focus on what the question is asking you. Do not let emotions interfere!

In all our strengthen/weaken questions we tell you to look at the conclusion. Try to strengthen/weaken that. Here the question clearly asks you to figure out what will not help in evaluating the CONCLUSION.

What is the conclusion?

"If the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers."

The conclusion is that if the honey bee population continues to decline, then consumers will not get fruit. What you have to evaluate is this "If the honeybee population continues to decline, will the consumers get fruit?". Basically, we are wondering whether there are alternative ways of pollination or getting fruit.

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
Alternative method of pollination

B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
Alternative method of obtaining fruit

C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
Alternative method of pollination

D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
Doesn't help in evaluating the conclusion. The conclusion clearly says that if the decline continues, fruits will not be available. We don't have to question whether there are ways to reverse the decline. The point is - if the decline happens, can we do something.

E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?
Alternative method of obtaining fruit

Answer (D)

Not satisfactory.

How does A give you an alternative for polliation? if bee population is declining due to pesticide, can we turn a blind eye to the fact that pesticides would eliminate insects too? And assume that we got one way of pollination?

Also the statement:
D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
Doesn't help in evaluating the conclusion. The conclusion clearly says that if the decline continues, fruits will not be available. We don't have to question whether there are ways to reverse the decline. The point is - if the decline happens, can we do something.


"The conclusion clearly says that if the decline continues, fruits will not be available". yes it does. And that is what we have to evaluate.

We dont have to question if there are ways to reverse the decline. But 'consider'- if there is a method that can 'reverse' (note:reverse, Not STOP) the decline, would it impact the conclusion?
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 597 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 22:18
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
nelz007 wrote:
In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the United States has been cut in half. The decline is due primarily to the increasing use of pesticides in the United States, as well as to the introduction of two types of mites that weaken and kill the bees. Honeybees are the primary pollinators for a variety of important fruit crops, including oranges, apples, grapes, peaches, cranberries and watermelons. Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.

In evaluating the conclusion, which of the following questions would be LEAST useful to answer?

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?


What is the conclusion?

"If the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers."

The conclusion is that if the honey bee population continues to decline, then consumers will not get fruit. What you have to evaluate is this "If the honeybee population continues to decline, will the consumers get fruit?". Basically, we are wondering whether there are alternative ways of pollination or getting fruit.

D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
Doesn't help in evaluating the conclusion. The conclusion clearly says that if the decline continues, fruits will not be available. We don't have to question whether there are ways to reverse the decline. The point is - if the decline happens, can we do something.

Answer (D)


Hi karishma..thanks for the reply but still I am not convinced over the explanation of D. Can you please elaborate more?
I still feel that D can be answered in as weakener and strengthener.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

AGSM Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Posts: 167
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 31

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 23:24
The correct answer is D.

D will do the least to evaluate the conclusion. The catch lies in the conclusion. Lets rephrase the conclusion.

Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.

It is a prediction based on the condition. We have to evaluate the prediction in the light of this condition only. Thus, the objective is to evaluate whether fruits will be available if the honey bee population declines. We are already told that the Population of honey bee is important for the pollination of fruits so reversing the condition will not help in evaluating the prediction. The reversal of the population is out of scope as we need to check whether the fruits can be made available if the honey bee population keeps declining.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 597 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 01:27
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
How does A give you an alternative for polliation? if bee population is declining due to pesticide, can we turn a blind eye to the fact that pesticides would eliminate insects too? And assume that we got one way of pollination?


We do not know whether the insects get affected. It's an 'evaluate' question. You first evaluate whether someone else can pollinate. Once you find someone, then you will evaluate the status of those insects and what affects them etc. You are jumping the gun by saying that the same pesticides will affect every species of insects and hence no other possible pollinator can survive.

Vips0000 wrote:
Also the statement:
D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
Doesn't help in evaluating the conclusion. The conclusion clearly says that if the decline continues, fruits will not be available. We don't have to question whether there are ways to reverse the decline. The point is - if the decline happens, can we do something.


"The conclusion clearly says that if the decline continues, fruits will not be available". yes it does. And that is what we have to evaluate.

We dont have to question if there are ways to reverse the decline. But 'consider'- if there is a method that can 'reverse' (note:reverse, Not STOP) the decline, would it impact the conclusion?


Here you haven't understood the conclusion. Say, I give you my opinion "If people keep fighting, the world will end." You need to evaluate my opinion. What will you evaluate? Will you evaluate whether people will keep fighting or will you evaluate what happens when people keep fighting. In my opinion, if people keep fighting, the world will end. You need to find out what happens 'if people keep fighting'. My opinion is based on a condition. If this happens, that will happen. When you evaluate my opinion, you are going to evaluate whether 'that will happen or not if this happens'. You don't have to question whether people will keep fighting or not.
Similarly, the conclusion states 'if honeybee population continues to decline...'
Don't worry about whether actually honeybee population will decline, stay same or increase. Find out what happens if it continues to decline.


Kudos Karishma....That was awesome.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2375
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2297 [0], given: 692

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 03:50
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 238
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 63

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 05:03
This was a good question Thanks for the explanation karishma.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 22:58
leigimon wrote:
For D, even if we account for the pesticide we would probably need to account for the mites as well to be definitive.

But I think it comes down to the condition of the argument, that we should accept the decline as given.


I have to agree with the first statement here. Even if pesticide is reduced, you still need to make an additional assumption that the mites don't kill the honeybees as well. D is not a question that can give a direct resolution to the availability of the fruit.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Schools: Anderson '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 23:22
Dont agree with the OA, OA should be B

B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand? -- We are talking about a trend in United states and this seems to be the least important.

D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations.
The answer to this questions definetely matters.
Yes : Rev the decline - > Pollination inc -> O/p increase
N0 : The same trend - > Reduced pollination -> Reduced O/p


Quote:
Somebody just gave below expln
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
we will get fruits from other counties, who cares abt the bees!

If we were to ignore this honeybee decline altogether there is no point writing this argument at all. Just import fruits from other countries.

The conclusion cares about honey bees.
Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 15:48
HiteshPunjabi wrote:
Dont agree with the OA, OA should be B

B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand? -- We are talking about a trend in United states and this seems to be the least important.

D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations.
The answer to this questions definetely matters.
Yes : Rev the decline - > Pollination inc -> O/p increase
N0 : The same trend - > Reduced pollination -> Reduced O/p


Quote:
Somebody just gave below expln
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
we will get fruits from other counties, who cares abt the bees!

If we were to ignore this honeybee decline altogether there is no point writing this argument at all. Just import fruits from other countries.

The conclusion cares about honey bees.
Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.


If you notice a pattern with the other answer choices (A, C, E), along with B, they all provide an alternative solution that directly addresses that most fruits won't be available to consumers. If you answer Yes to these 4 options, you can solve the problem and more fruits will be available to consumers. However, even if you answer Yes to B, you still have another question (what about the 2 new types of mites).

Also, even if you reduce the use of pesticide, you cannot assume that the population will drastically increase right away, or double to the totals prior to the 50 years. You're still stuck with a limited fruit supply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 278
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 22:56
I initially went with A. Seeing Karisma's explanation it is clear. Kudos!
_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4687
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1079

Kudos [?]: 4844 [0], given: 163

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 19:09
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
HiteshPunjabi wrote:
Dont agree with the OA, OA should be B

B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand? -- We are talking about a trend in United states and this seems to be the least important.

D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations.
The answer to this questions definetely matters.
Yes : Rev the decline - > Pollination inc -> O/p increase
N0 : The same trend - > Reduced pollination -> Reduced O/p


Quote:
Somebody just gave below expln
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
we will get fruits from other counties, who cares abt the bees!

If we were to ignore this honeybee decline altogether there is no point writing this argument at all. Just import fruits from other countries.

The conclusion cares about honey bees.
Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.


Check out the explanation given in this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/11 ... onclusion/
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2012
Posts: 76
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 06:16
Hi Karishma,

I agree with what you have said above. But the reason I felt A was just as strong as D ,was , since the argument already states that honeybees are the PRIMARY POLLINATORS for these fruits. So we already know that there are other pollinators that could pollinate these fruits. So when you think on these lines, A doesn't really help much , since we already know the answer to this from the argument itself. Although I do agree that D doesn't help in evaluating the argument either . So I cant figure out a way to justifiably pick one over the other.

-Jyothi
_________________

Jyothi hosamani

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4687
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1079

Kudos [?]: 4844 [0], given: 163

Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 21:38
Expert's post
gmacforjyoab wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I agree with what you have said above. But the reason I felt A was just as strong as D ,was , since the argument already states that honeybees are the PRIMARY POLLINATORS for these fruits. So we already know that there are other pollinators that could pollinate these fruits. So when you think on these lines, A doesn't really help much , since we already know the answer to this from the argument itself. Although I do agree that D doesn't help in evaluating the argument either . So I cant figure out a way to justifiably pick one over the other.

-Jyothi


The argument only says that the honeybees are primary pollinators for these fruits. It doesn't mean there are other insect pollinators that could be used to pollinate. If honeybees are not there, the primary pollinator will be gone and little pollination may take place through other mediums such as wind/some other insects - we don't know. What (A) is trying to evaluate is whether there are other insect pollinators which could pollinate these crops (the use of 'could' tells you that they probably don't pollinate these crops right now). We are looking for an alternative primary pollinator.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1627
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 12:02
As a note apart, D is already stated in the passage as a fact.
The fact is that the increasing use of pesticides is causing a decline in the honeybee population.

Therefore answer choice D does not add new information to the argument and hence is the correct answer choice

Hope this clarifies
Cheers
J
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 302
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 13:06
nelz007 wrote:
In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the United States has been cut in half. The decline is due primarily to the increasing use of pesticides in the United States, as well as to the introduction of two types of mites that weaken and kill the bees. Honeybees are the primary pollinators for a variety of important fruit crops, including oranges, apples, grapes, peaches, cranberries and watermelons. Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.

In evaluating the conclusion, which of the following questions would be LEAST useful to answer?

A Are there other insect pollinators that could pollinate these fruit crops instead of the honeybee?
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
C Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees?
D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations?
E Is it possible to genetically engineer fruit-producing plants so that they no longer require pollination?


As always, the principal task is to identify the conclusion..whether an option seems more relevant to the topic in hand or in the same way some options seem to be less relevant/important to the topic is not a criteria to negate an option...

After we relate how each option is helping just the conclusion at hand..it is an easy task to narrow down to the answer
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 143
Location: Canada
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 67

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 15:27
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
HiteshPunjabi wrote:
Dont agree with the OA, OA should be B

B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand? -- We are talking about a trend in United states and this seems to be the least important.

D Will reducing the use of pesticides in the United States reverse the decline in honeybee populations.
The answer to this questions definetely matters.
Yes : Rev the decline - > Pollination inc -> O/p increase
N0 : The same trend - > Reduced pollination -> Reduced O/p


Quote:
Somebody just gave below expln
B Are honeybee populations declining in other important fruit-producing regions, like Chile and New Zealand?
we will get fruits from other counties, who cares abt the bees!

If we were to ignore this honeybee decline altogether there is no point writing this argument at all. Just import fruits from other countries.

The conclusion cares about honey bees.
Therefore, if the honey bee population continues this drastic decline, then most fruits will no longer be available to consumers.


Check out the explanation given in this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/11 ... onclusion/


Hi Karishma,

Lucky i got this answer right. But i have a very fundamental question. I was stuck between C and D. Reason being that C states 'Is it feasible for humans to hand-pollinate the fruits that have been pollinated by bees' and i just couldn't understand how would pollinating a fruit that has been pollinated by bees help? as in, isn't it already pollinated?

Sorry for such a basic question but i was very close to picking C over D for this reason.
Re: In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2014, 15:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Over the past ten years, the population of Dismaston has gro TooLong150 2 04 Mar 2014, 04:40
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Over the past ten years, the population of Dismaston guerrero25 13 13 Dec 2013, 06:19
Honeybees ravsg 4 17 Apr 2011, 12:53
Honeybees rockubabe 5 06 Aug 2010, 05:40
1 Less that 35 years after the release of African honeybees nitinneha 14 18 Mar 2007, 18:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the past 50 years, the population of honeybees in the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.