Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Cause and Effectx   Weakenx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1579 [58]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [12]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [3]
Send PM
Re: In the past most airline companies minimized aircraft weight [#permalink]
Kudos
joemama142000 wrote:
In the past most airline companies minimized aircraft weight to minimize fuel costs. The safest airline seats were heavy, and airlines equipped their planes with few of these seats. This year the seat that has sold best to airlines has been the safest one—a clear indication that airlines are assigning a higher priority to safe seating than to minimizing fuel costs.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?
(E) Because of technological innovations, the safest airline seat on the market this year weighed less than most other airline seats on the market.

weight is the key here ...E pointed out that weights of safe seats were reduced ---> even they buy more heavy seats, the total weigt of seats may be less ----> lower fuel costs.
E it is.

Originally posted by laxieqv on 15 Nov 2005, 04:14.
Last edited by laxieqv on 15 Nov 2005, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4154 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
The core point we've to be warned if airlines are interested with minizing fuel cost or not nowadays.

The choice E says that safety seats will induce minimizing costs because they weighten less than the other seats which in turn will lead airlines to minimize fuel costs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Conclusion: Airlines are assigning higher priority to safe seats than to minimizing fuel costs
Premise: Safest seats are the ones best sold to the airlines this year.

Assumption: Safest seats do not minimize fuel costs. i.e. safest seats are not lightweight. Undermine this assumption.

Alternatively, negate the conclusion and select answer choice that supports the negated conclusion along with the premises.
Negated conclusion: Airlines are not assigning higher priority to safe seats than to minimizing fuel costs
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
joemama142000 wrote:

In the past most airline companies minimized aircraft weight to minimize fuel costs. The safest airline seats were heavy, and airlines equipped their planes with few of these seats. This year the seat that has sold best to airlines has been the safest one - a clear indication that airlines are assigning a higher priority to safe seating than to minimizing fuel costs.

(A) Last year's best-selling airline seat was not the safest airline seat on the market.
(B) No airline company has announced that it would be making safe seating a higher priority this year.
(C) The price of fuel was higher this year than it had been in most of the years when the safest airline seats sold poorly.
(D) Because of increases in the cost of materials, all airline seats were more expensive to manufacture this year than in any previous year.
(E) Because of technological innovations, the safest airline seat on the market this year weighed less than most other airline seats on the market.

Type - weaken
Boil it down - In past the safest airline seats were heavy. This year the seat that has sold best to airlines has been the safest one - a clear indication that airlines are prioritizing safety over costs .
Pre-thinking - what if the safest seats are the lightest ones now .

(E) Because of technological innovations, the safest airline seat on the market this year weighed less than most other airline seats on the market - Correct answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
In the past most airline companies minimized aircraft weight [#permalink]
Kudos
In the past most airline companies minimized aircraft weight to minimize fuel costs. The safest airline seats were heavy, and airlines equipped their planes with few of these seats. This year the seat that has sold best to airlines has been the safest one - a clear indication that airlines are assigning a higher priority to safe seating than to minimizing fuel costs.

(A) Last year's best-selling airline seat was not the safest airline seat on the market.
Out of scope of the argument because best selling seat are not discussed directly but it means that the airlines did not prefer the safests seats.

(B) No airline company has announced that it would be making safe seating a higher priority this year.
The airlines do not neccesarily make announcments to make changes in planes.

(C) The price of fuel was higher this year than it had been in most of the years when the safest airline seats sold poorly.
Does not weakne but partially strenghten by aking a point about the fuel price.

(D) Because of increases in the cost of materials, all airline seats were more expensive to manufacture this year than in any previous year.
The premise says that the safe seats are heavy, and the heavy seats makes the plane burn more fuel,the airline wants to save money by saving fuel.
Conclusin says that the seats were removed because they were the heaviest.but still the airlines use them to prioritize saftey
This choice says that the new safest seats were also the lightest,that proves that the airlines are just saving fuel not prioritizing the saftey.

==================================
Weakener CR:The link between the premise and the conclusion has to be attacked more than anything,and the choice that does so pick that more than anything.
==================================
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Correct choice is 'E' - This statement states the currently safest seat would also be heavier than the less safe seats.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 158
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
joemama142000 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 47
Page: 135
Difficulty:

(A) Last year's best-selling airline seat was not the safest airline seat on the market. We are not concerned about last year.
(B) No airline company has announced that it would be making safe seating a higher priority this year. We are not concerned about the announcement
(C) The price of fuel was higher this year than it had been in most of the years when the safest airline seats sold poorly. We are not concerned about the fuel prices.
(D) Because of increases in the cost of materials, all airline seats were more expensive to manufacture this year than in any previous year. Since the cost is already high, the airlines had to incur higher expense. Does not explain why the airlines are giving more importance to safety or less.
(E) Because of technological innovations, the safest airline seat on the market this year weighed less than most other airline seats on the market. Weakener. Since the safest seats weighed less, the airlines bought them and not to enhance the safety.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Hi experts,
mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja,

I did picked up answer choice E, but I am not sure why answer choice B is incorrect
B No airline company has announced that it would be making safe seating a higher priority this year.

B seems to weaken the conclusion directly. just because of weakening directly, B is incorrect?

thanks a lot
have a nice day
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,
mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja,

I did picked up answer choice E, but I am not sure why answer choice B is incorrect
B No airline company has announced that it would be making safe seating a higher priority this year.

B seems to weaken the conclusion directly. just because of weakening directly, B is incorrect?

thanks a lot
have a nice day

The conclusion is "that airlines are assigning a higher priority to safe seating than to minimizing fuel cost." Just because they are making safe seating a higher priority does NOT necessarily mean that they are going to ANNOUNCE their plans. The airline companies could easily upgrade the seats without making announcements.

So even if choice (B) were true, it would not necessarily imply that the airlines are not making safe seating a higher priority.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone! I think this is a good question where the answer choices can easily confuse the test taker. Although the difficulty level is not indicated as being exceedingly difficult, I can see how this could be tricky so I wanted to contribute my perspective.

Quote:

(E) Because of technological innovations, the safest airline seat on the market this year weighed less than most other airline seats on the market

1. Read and compartmentalize - Whenever there's a 'string' effect of relationships, I make sure I paraphrase the connections. Minimize weight = minimize fuel costs; Safest Seats = Heaviest Seats; **Minimize fuel costs = minimize weight = minimize safest seats** Got it, and now just locking in the premise-conclusion relationship here - Because airlines have bought the highest quantity of safest seats this year - therefore airlines have prioritized safety over cost.

2. Pre-think when possible - always! - The initial thoughts that come to mind are maybe price fluctuations for the seats and fuel, the two variables mentioned in the argument. I'm going to move straight into the answer choices now as I can't think of much else.

3. Find 4 wrong answers
    (A) Last year's best-selling airline seat was not the safest airline seat on the market. - That's cool, but what happened last year versus this year does not give me the appropriate information to determine what the motivation behind change was. All I know is that there was a change. The reason for those changes does not have to be price and so given that this statement is true, I cannot weaken nor strengthen the conclusion made.

(B) No airline company has announced that it would be making safe seating a higher priority this year. - If no airline company has announced their strategic plans for the year we cannot make any assumptions about why they made the decisions they made. As a result, we cannot weaken or strengthen the argument.

(C) The price of fuel was higher this year than it had been in most of the years when the safest airline seats sold poorly. - 'most' year indicates 'not all', and so
    even if this statement is true, it does not effectively weaken the argument. If anything, it kind of strengthens it.

(D) Because of increases in the cost of materials, all airline seats were more expensive to manufacture this year than in any previous year. - If everything from the heaviest to the lightest (i.e. safest to most unsafe) seats all increased in price across the board, then the increase in cost

(E) Because of technological innovations, the safest airline seat on the market this year weighed less than most other airline seats on the market - Bingo! If the formerly heaviest seat is now lighter than most other products out there, this kills the argument. The weren't prioritizing safety, the reason for the change was just a result of price changes.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
In the past most airline companies minimized aircraft weight [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma MentorTutoring

Could you help me with PoE?

Quote:

(E) Because of technological innovations, the safest airline seat on the market this year weighed less than most other airline seats on the market

Premise: The best seat sold is safest one.
Conclusion: ↑ priority to safety than ↓ fuel costs

Is the core of the question to raise a doubt on if airlines have not placed priority to safety over minimizing fuel costs?
I chose C since I thought that if fuel prices rise this year, then airline companies HAD TO chose safety in order to reduce expenditure on fuel costs.
I ignored E since I thought WHY it matters the way by which seats are weighed less than OTHER seats? How does technological innovations and comparison with OTHER airline seats help me to WEAKEN my claim ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
VeritasKarishma MentorTutoring

Could you help me with PoE?

Quote:

Premise: The best seat sold is safest one.
Conclusion: ↑ priority to safety than ↓ fuel costs

Is the core of the question to raise a doubt on if airlines have not placed priority to safety over minimizing fuel costs?
I chose C since I thought that if fuel prices rise this year, then airline companies HAD TO chose safety in order to reduce expenditure on fuel costs.
I ignored E since I thought WHY it matters the way by which seats are weighed less than OTHER seats? How does technological innovations and comparison with OTHER airline seats help me to WEAKEN my claim ?

Hello, adkikani. My apology for taking so long to reply. I got hammered today with my business, but the weather itself kept me on my feet all day. Last night into this morning, a "bomb cyclone" dumped about a foot of slushy, heavy snow in my area, and the weight of the snow brought down several trees. I was out around 6.30am shoveling and repositioning yard items. Anyway, enough of my drama...

The argument above is that airlines are assigning a higher priority to safe seating than to minimizing fuel costs. The clear indication of this supposed fact is that this year the seat that has sold best to airlines has been the safest one. To weaken this argument, you need to raise doubts over whether the airline was indeed prioritizing safety by purchasing these bestselling seats. Notice that in your original answer, (C), higher is not qualified--how much higher? a penny? 1M USD?--not to mention that most of the years is vague and unconvincing. What about those other years? On the tail-end of that question, could this year have been similar to one of those other years? Choice (E), on the other hand, provides a possible alternative to the explanation given in the argument about the seats purchased this year: the safest airline seats happened to weigh less because of technological innovations. In other words, safety may not have been given priority, and the person making the argument is just interpreting a coincidence as proof positive of something by using the past as a basis for comparison. Although we cannot say for sure, it seems likely that the airline companies are up to their old tricks, seeking ways minimize aircraft weight to minimize fuel costs.

I hope that helps. I am off to bed!

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I have a slight doubt, and hopefully, I articulate it clearly.

We know the conclusion is the following: ???a clear indication that airlines are assigning a higher priority to safe seating than to minimizing fuel costs.???

We can weaken this conclusion if we shed light on some other reason as to why they bought these safer/heavier seats. (e.g., within E, they're not only safer, but also lighter) Maybe they bought it because it was lighter, so they could reduce fuel costs (was maybe their underlying motive). Does the weakener have to hit both of these points? i.e., the airlines (1) NOT prioritizing safety and (2) actually prioritizing saving fuel costs

More specifically, what if there was another reason as to why the airlines chose the "safest" seat? What if the safe seats had some benefit for customers (e.g., cooling technology so customers could be comfortable throughout a given flight), which didn't necessarily minimize fuel costs in the process but it still resulted in airlines buying more of the safest seats? If an answer choice were something like this (hits on the one reason that they weren't prioritizing safety, but doesn't hit on the other point of fuel costs) would it be a weakener? Or does it have to address the full conclusion - both parts (safety and fuel costs)? Not sure if this made any sense...
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
I have a slight doubt, and hopefully, I articulate it clearly.

We know the conclusion is the following: ???a clear indication that airlines are assigning a higher priority to safe seating than to minimizing fuel costs.???

We can weaken this conclusion if we shed light on some other reason as to why they bought these safer/heavier seats. (e.g., within E, they're not only safer, but also lighter) Maybe they bought it because it was lighter, so they could reduce fuel costs (was maybe their underlying motive). Does the weakener have to hit both of these points? i.e., the airlines (1) NOT prioritizing safety and (2) actually prioritizing saving fuel costs

More specifically, what if there was another reason as to why the airlines chose the "safest" seat? What if the safe seats had some benefit for customers (e.g., cooling technology so customers could be comfortable throughout a given flight), which didn't necessarily minimize fuel costs in the process but it still resulted in airlines buying more of the safest seats? If an answer choice were something like this (hits on the one reason that they weren't prioritizing safety, but doesn't hit on the other point of fuel costs) would it be a weakener? Or does it have to address the full conclusion - both parts (safety and fuel costs)? Not sure if this made any sense...

Hi Sam

That's a very good question. For starters, let us begin by establishing the perfect identification of the conclusion of the argument presented by you: clear indication that airlines are assigning a higher priority to safe seating than to minimizing fuel costs.

Now, we are required to weaken the conclusion. The conclusion, however, is a single conclusion and not made of two parts as you have stated. It does not state that airlines are assigning higher priority to safe seating and not as much to minimizing fuel costs. The conclusion presents a comparative assessment of the priority placed by airlines on safety and minimizing fuel costs, and states that the former has higher priority that the latter.

Hence, we are looking to attack the comparative relationship between the two aspects of safety and fuel costs, and not safety or fuel costs by themselves. This is done perfectly by option (E) and hence is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
KarishmaB

Would you agree that option C gives us a reason why the airlines should be prioritizing fuel costs? But since they should be prioritizing fuel costs doesn't mean that they are actually doing so, this option has no effect on the conclusion.

Whereas option E directly attacks the reasoning of the author.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
KarishmaB

Would you agree that option C gives us a reason why the airlines should be prioritizing fuel costs? But since they should be prioritizing fuel costs doesn't mean that they are actually doing so, this option has no effect on the conclusion.

Whereas option E directly attacks the reasoning of the author.

Vegita

The actual cost of the fuel has no impact on the conclusion. Our conclusion is about "minimising fuel cost", whatever this cost may be. The way to do that for airlines is to use as little fuel as possible. Whether the fuel cost is high or low doesn't matter. They have not allocated a fixed amount of cost to fuel (in which case, a lower cost would lead to increase in allowable consumption). They are minimising cost which means that they need to focus on their consumption only and reduce it as much as possible (how the cost of the fuel is changing is not to be considered).

Say a child gets fixed pocket money for stationary. Then, if the price of stationary reduces, the child is happy (he can buy more). If the price of stationary increases, the child is unhappy because it impacts his capacity to buy.
But if the child is told to minimise his stationary cost, he will need to buy the minimum, totally necessary number of pens and pencils. Then, the change in the pricing of stationary doesn't impact him.

The conclusion says that priority of airlines is safety rather than fuel cost.
We need to weaken it. That is, we need to show how the priority of airlines may still be fuel cost only and not necessarily safety. Option (E) shows us that the safe seats are lightest too so this means that fuel cost could still be the priority and safety may only be an added bonus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Conclusion - Safer seats are always more heavy and lead to increased fuel costs due to weight.
Type - Weaken

(A) Last year's best-selling airline seat was not the safest airline seat on the market - We are talking about the current year. This definitely re-affirms the shift of the airline industry towards safety. However, it doesn't answer the question, are the safer seats leading to increased fuel costs due to weight. It doesn't answer the question. Drop

(B) No airline company has announced that it would be making safe seating a higher priority this year.  Did the company market it's shift in priority? Whether it did or didn't the company can always shift it's priority towards safety whether marketed or not. This option can co-exist with the conclusion above. Drop

(C) The price of fuel was higher this year than it had been in most of the years when the safest airline seats sold poorly. - This option indicates that the price of fuel has risen during a time when the most sold seat to an airline company is the safest in the world. Does this indicate the safest seats are heavy, not really. It does mean the cost of fuel has increased, but not as a function of the weight of the seat. This option has no impact on the conclusion. Drop

(D) Because of increases in the cost of materials, all airline seats were more expensive to manufacture this year than in any previous year. - This answers whether the seats were costly to purchase, but doensn't answer the question, i.e., do safer seats lead to increased fuel costs due to weight?

(E) Because of technological innovations, the safest airline seat on the market this year weighed less than most other airline seats on the market. - Yup this new information does weaken the assumption that the safest seats are heavy. Keep
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts