Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 08:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (02:13) correct 53% (01:22) wrong based on 130 sessions
In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter snow in Verland used wooden sleds with runners and steering bars. Ten years ago, smooth plastic sleds became popular; they go faster than wooden sleds but are harder to steer and slow. The concern that plastic sleds are more dangerous is clearly borne out by the fact that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was 10 years ago.

Which of the following, if true in Verland, most seriously undermines the force of the evidence cited?

(A) A few children still use traditional wooden sleds.
(B) Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding.
(C) Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can.
(D) Most sledding injuries occur when a sled collides with a tree, a rock, or another sled.
(E) Because the traditional wooden sleds can carry more than one rider, an accident involving a wooden sled can result in several children being injured.

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 20
Page: 33
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 08:32
I will go with A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 09:20
I will go for E.

It proves that traditional wooden sleds are more dangerous than the new plastic ones., not the other way around.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: CR - Sleds [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 09:23
I don't really like any of these answers, but I'll go with C
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 09:28
C only strengthens the argument because plastic ones can be used in a "much wider variety of snow conditions" (which include more dangersous conditions)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 09:29
Oops, I thought it was a strengthen the argument type question.. in that case, E is best
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 10:17
E shud be the answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 11:38
Fellow GMATers,

I think the conclusion is "Plastic used is more dangerous than wood"

So we must look for answer which weakens this conclusion which is B.
Children do not wear protective gear and have more injuries.

Please post OA !
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 16:05
I vote for (E).

(E) says wooden sleds are also dangerous.

What we are supposed to do here is "to weaken the evidence" suggested in the article.

The evidence in the article is "More children are injured using plastic sleds than using wooden sleds."

If (B) is the true, it only strengthens the conclusion of the article. Let me put it this way : "Plastic sldes are dangerous for children, and the children are not even wearing protective helmets! It looks like that plastic sldes are even more dangerous now!"

Moreover, the fact that children do not wear protective gear does not suggest either of them (plastic or wooden sleds) are more dangerous than the other.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 19:55
(A) - irrelevant
(B) Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding.
(C) - irrelevant
(D) - more likely when you use a plastic sled which is harder to steer
(E) - quite irrelevant. Since it's a fact the wooden sleds are easier to steer and slower, the risk of getting injured should be quite low.

I'll take B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 05:05
go C go...by POE I guess...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 05:25
I choose C, I really do not like any, but in C at least we have a possible explanation: as the plastic sled can be used in more ocasions, it is easier that a child gets hurt.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 05:52
C is the best because the plastic ones are used more often in variety of snow conditions, and that explained more injuries.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 06:48
OA is C

If plastic sleds are used more often then there is a greater likelihood that sledders will be involved in accidents
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 11:29
A is irrelevant. It is normal that many accident with plastic sleds will happen if there are more users of plastic sleds.
B is irrelevant.
D is irrelevant.
E is irrelevant. Just think about how many dead people are in plane crashes and how many are in car crashes for a year. This will help you to dismiss this answer choice.

So, IMO C is the best choice. If plastic sleds can be runned in a wider variety of snow condititios, then the main cause could be the bad use of these from the part of the drivers rather than the plastic sleds themselves.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- sledding [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 00:42
AK wrote:
In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter snow in Verland used wooden sleds with runners and steering bars. Ten years ago, smooth plastic sleds became popular; they go faster than wooden sleds but are harder to steer and slow. The concern that plastic sleds are more dangerous is clearly borne out by the fact that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago.
Which of the following, if true in Verland, most seriously undermines the force of the evidence cited?

A. A few children still use traditional wooden sleds.

B. Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding.

C. Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can.

D. Most sledding injuries occur when a sled collides with a tree, a rock, or another sled.

E. Because the traditional wooden sled can carry more than one rider, an accident involving a wooden sled can result in several children being injured.

C. Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can.

Implies that children can now sled even in conditions in which they could not earlier sled using the wooden sled.

C undermines the argument by providing an explanation for the increase in the number of accidents.
Intern
Intern

C it is [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 01:13
I go for C for the same reasons.

brainstorm

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 10:45
yes to C...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
sleds [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 09:50
Any takers?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 18:19
I'll go for E. It says plastic sleds are not more dangerous. In fact, wooden sleds are more dangerous as they carry a larger number of children.

D actully supports the conclusion.
  [#permalink] 05 Jul 2007, 18:19