Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2008, 13:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

70% (02:12) correct 30% (02:12) wrong based on 93 sessions
In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter snow in Verland used wooden sleds with runners and steering bars. Ten years ago, smooth plastic sleds became popular; they go faster than wooden sleds but are harder to steer and slow. The concern that plastic sleds are more dangerous is clearly borne out by the fact that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago.

Which of the following, if true in Verland, most seriously undermines the force of the evidence cited?
A. A few children still use traditional wooden sleds.
B. Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding.
C. Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can.
D. Most sledding injuries occur when a sled collides with a tree, a rock, or another sled.
E. Because the traditional wooden sled can carry more than one rider, an accident involving a wooden sled can result in several children being injured.

OA B????
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 08:18
arorag wrote:
In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter snow in Verland used wooden sleds with runners and steering bars. Ten years ago, smooth plastic sleds became popular; they go faster than wooden sleds but are harder to steer and slow. The concern that plastic sleds are more dangerous is clearly borne out by the fact that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago.

Which of the following, if true in Verland, most seriously undermines the force of the evidence cited?
B. Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding.
C. Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can.
D. Most sledding injuries occur when a sled collides with a tree, a rock, or another sled.
E. Because the traditional wooden sled can carry more than one rider, an accident involving a wooden sled can result in several children being injured.

OA B????

Are you sure the OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
? I highly doubt the OA.

IMO the answer should be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Anyone else any thoughts on this one ?

Thanks,
Ankit

You want something, go get it . Period !

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 13:03
arorag wrote:

OA B????

A. A few children still use traditional wooden sleds. This doesnt compare the plastic with wooden sleds
B. Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding. Irrelevant. This statement doesnt contradict/weaken why plastic sleds are dangerous
C. Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can. This explains correctly that plastic sleds are not only used in certain snow conds, but used in much wider variety. Thus, this statement weakens the conclusion when comparing wooden and plastic sleds
D. Most sledding injuries occur when a sled collides with a tree, a rock, or another sled. Irrelevant
E. Because the traditional wooden sled can carry more than one rider, an accident involving a wooden sled can result in several children being injured. Irrelevant

OA is C IMO.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [3] , given: 62

Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
The argument concludes that The concern that plastic sleds are more dangerous is clearly borne out by the fact that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago.

If we read the question stem closely, it asks which option undermines the force of evidence, that is which option attacks the reason provided in the argument for increase in injuries while using plastic sled. option C clearly provides an alternative reason.

OA to this question is C only :) I have checked in other threads as well.

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 20:16
It's a question in Official Guide and the answer is C
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 09:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2014, 00:58
Freaks this was seriously an amazing weaken question!!!

I think the key here is the question i.e. 'Which of the following, if true in Verland, most seriously undermines the force of the evidence cited?'

The normal question is that 'Which of the following, if true in Verland, most seriously undermines the conclusion' but here we need to undermine the evidence and hence, weakening the conclusion.

I was stuck between options C & E.

C wins from the perspective of the question cited.

Certainly OA is C.

B is out of scope.

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2014, 00:58