Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 20:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

89% (02:05) correct 11% (02:16) wrong based on 28 sessions
In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were predominantly men; these occupations slipped in pay and status when they became largely occupied by women. Therefore, if women become the majority in currently male-dominated professions like accounting, law, and medicine, the income and prestige of these professions will also drop.
Which of the following, if true, would most likely be part of the evidence used to refute the conclusion above?

(A) Accountants, lawyers, and physicians attained their current relatively high levels of income and prestige at about the same time that the pay and status of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries slipped.
(B) When large numbers of men join a female-dominated occupation, such as airline flight attendant, the status and pay of the occupation tend to increase.
(C) The demand for teachers and secretaries has increased significantly in recent years, while the demand for bank tellers has remained relatively stable.
(D) If present trends in the awarding of law degrees to women continue, it will be at least two decades before the majority of lawyers are women.
(E) The pay and status of female accountants, lawyers, and physicians today are governed by significantly different economic and sociological forces than were the pay and status of female teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries in the past.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Slipping of Pay and status [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 11:58
(A) Accountants, lawyers, and physicians attained their current relatively high levels of income and prestige at about the same time that the pay and status of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries slipped. -increasing pay in such professions have no bearing on payscales of teaching profession.(B) When large numbers of men join a female-dominated occupation, such as airline flight attendant, the status and pay of the occupation tend to increase. -out of scope; if anyting instead of undermining , supports the conclusion(C) The demand for teachers and secretaries has increased significantly in recent years, while the demand for bank tellers has remained relatively stable.-more demand should actually increase pay, not decrease it
(D) If present trends in the awarding of law degrees to women continue, it will be at least two decades before the majority of lawyers are women.-whether majority of such professionals are women now or 20 years later, doesnt affect the arguement either way(E) The pay and status of female accountants, lawyers, and physicians today are governed by significantly different economic and sociological forces than were the pay and status of female teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries in the past.-CORRECT-IF this is true, this can put forward a different reason for changing pay scale other than the one assumed by the author. hence it undermines the author's belieff.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Slipping of Pay and status [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 00:24
+1 for E.

Crick
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Slipping of Pay and status [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 06:18
+1 E

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Slipping of Pay and status [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 10:54
E it's.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Slipping of Pay and status [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 23:50
(A) This one quite strengthen the conclusion, but i think it more out of scope

(B) Strengthen one

(D) More women join law industry => Strengthen ones

I confuse between (E) and (C), but I believe the answer (E) is stronger in weaken the conclusion. Therefore, the correct one is (E)

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Slipping of Pay and status [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 18:51
I got E. This introduces a new reason the pay is different. It is not a strong answer but is the best one in the options.

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 06:30
E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 17:32
E
Re: In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2011, 17:32