Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 19:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 14:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:49) correct 33% (01:25) wrong based on 3 sessions
In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were predominantly men; these occupations slipped in pay and status when they became largely occupied by women. Therefore, if women become the majority in currently male-dominated professions like accounting, law, and medicine, the income and prestige of these professions will also drop.

Which of the following, if true, would most likely be part of the evidence used to refute the conclusion above?

(A) Accountants, lawyers, and physicians attained their current relatively high levels of income and prestige at about the same time that the pay and status of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries slipped.
(B) When large numbers of men join a female-dominated occupation, such as airline flight attendant, the status and pay of the occupation tend to increase.
(C) The demand for teachers and secretaries has increased significantly in recent years, while the demand for bank tellers has remained relatively stable.
(D) If present trends in the awarding of law degrees to women continue, it will be at least two decades before the majority of lawyers are women.
(E) The pay and status of female accountants, lawyers, and physicians today are governed by significantly different economic and sociological forces than were the pay and status of female teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries in the past.

Please help on this...i was not at all able to relate the options with the conclusion which will help to refute it.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 16:36
I go for E. What is official answer ?

Let us put this whole thing in simple terms:

Fact: A Impacted B. Statement: A will also impact C.

To prove this is wrong, we need to pick answer which shows C is different from B.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 18:47
I will go with A
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2009, 08:50
can some one explain me the option A i am still not able to understand it.
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 21:12
This seems like a tough one. See my opinions in blue below.

sagarsabnis wrote:
In the past, teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries were predominantly men; these occupations slipped in pay and status when they became largely occupied by women. Therefore, if women become the majority in currently male-dominated professions like accounting, law, and medicine, the income and prestige of these professions will also drop.

Which of the following, if true, would most likely be part of the evidence used to refute the conclusion above?

(A) Accountants, lawyers, and physicians attained their current relatively high levels of income and prestige at about the same time that the pay and status of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries slipped.Accountant etc. incomes remained high as teachers etc. incomes were falling. In my opinion, this is saying that women started entering all of the fields mentioned (teachers etc. and accountant etc.) at the same time. If that is true, according to the assumption of the passage, you would have seen the salaries of accountants etc. fall as well. This point refutes that assumption by saying the high levels of income/prestige of accountants etc. remained the same.
(B) When large numbers of men join a female-dominated occupation, such as airline flight attendant, the status and pay of the occupation tend to increase. This would not refute, it would help the argument.
(C) The demand for teachers and secretaries has increased significantly in recent years, while the demand for bank tellers has remained relatively stable.This doesn't refute. Irrelevant because it is discussing the pay between teachers/secretaries and bank tellers, not the difference of the pay of the group as a whole.
(D) If present trends in the awarding of law degrees to women continue, it will be at least two decades before the majority of lawyers are women. This doesn't refute. Out of context of passage. Too extreme.
(E) The pay and status of female accountants, lawyers, and physicians today are governed by significantly different economic and sociological forces than were the pay and status of female teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries in the past.Too extreme. Passage says nothing about economic and sociological forces.

Please help on this...i was not at all able to relate the options with the conclusion which will help to refute it.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 22:21
mission2011 wrote:
I go for E. What is official answer ?

Let us put this whole thing in simple terms:

Fact: A Impacted B. Statement: A will also impact C.

To prove this is wrong, we need to pick answer which shows C is different from B.

Premise:
A Impacted ( decrease: pay and status )B
Con:A will Impact ( decrease: pay and status ) C

Anser E: says C is different from B. (because C governed by "X" and B doesn't )
C governing by X cannot guarantee that.. Pay and and Status will decrease or increase or constant. So, E is not correct answer.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 23:37
sagarsabnis wrote:

Option A says that when women largely occupied professions such as teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries, accountants, lawyers, and physicians got their current relatively high levels of income and status

It just says that the two events happened at the same time.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 05:55
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
sagarsabnis wrote:

Option A says that when women largely occupied professions such as teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries, accountants, lawyers, and physicians got their current relatively high levels of income and status

It just says that the two events happened at the same time.

i go with E.Can someone post the OA plz!!
TIA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 06:15
ill go for E... what reasons have been given by others on top for A are hanging on only assumptions, which do not relate to anything stated in argument.....
however E gives a reason by making the two sets of job varying from each other so what is true for one need not be true for the other
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 11:23
OA is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 19:32
what is the source? oa doesnt seem to be correct.....
what is the expl?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 00:45
Pls explain OA , IMO its E ..

check this link

http://way2freshers.com/gmat/gmat-verba ... ons-4.html
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 06:40
even i was looking for the explanation hence i posted it...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 20:19
sagarsabnis wrote:
even i was looking for the explanation hence i posted it...

Passage :

Conclusion : the income and prestige of these professions (teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries) will also drop.

Here we are looking which will give strength, if it is true. Hence ans will be Option : A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 03:06
sagarsabnis wrote:

(A) Accountants, lawyers, and physicians attained their current relatively high levels of income and prestige at about the same time that the pay and status of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries slipped.
(B) When large numbers of men join a female-dominated occupation, such as airline flight attendant, the status and pay of the occupation tend to increase.
(C) The demand for teachers and secretaries has increased significantly in recent years, while the demand for bank tellers has remained relatively stable.
(D) If present trends in the awarding of law degrees to women continue, it will be at least two decades before the majority of lawyers are women.
(E) The pay and status of female accountants, lawyers, and physicians today are governed by significantly different economic and sociological forces than were the pay and status of female teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries in the past.

Correct Answer is A...

Explanation:
The above question is a Cause and Effect Reasoning situation.
Cause = If women enter a certain profession
Effect = The profession slip in pay and status

Now if we can prove that there is another cause for this effect, we can refute the conclusion in the question.

Option A does that perfectly
Its says that: Accountants, lawyers, and physicians attained their current relatively high levels of income and prestige at about the same time that the pay and status of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries slipped.
This means that women entering the profession is not the reason for the slip in status or pay in the professions of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries. The slipped happened due to some other factors which affected only these profession and didn't effect the other professions like Accountants, lawyers, and physicians. The option doesn't discriminate whether these professions were held by men or women. It could be that the supply of these profession was too high that led to decrease in status and pay of these professions.

Option E cannot be correct for a reason which isn't that logically but it does hold good in GMAT upto some extent. The GMAC would never make an answer which would be biased or show case the discrimination of women (specially downfall) in the current society. The words - " today are governed by significantly different economic and sociological forces" show a sense of discrimination and partiallity with respect to women and hence wouldn't stand a chance of being the correct answer!

I might be wrong in my explanation of Option E but Option A does get the credit as the perfect answer as per the CR rules :)

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 06:28
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 47

Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 07:13
angel2009 wrote:

sagarsabnis wrote:

A little lost now as sagarsabnis posted the OA is A and now you have posted the OA as E...
Can you please check and confirm!

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB hydrabad, IIMs
WE 1: Steel Authority of India Limited

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 07:16
jeeteshsingh wrote:
sagarsabnis wrote:

Correct Answer is A...

Explanation:
The above question is a Cause and Effect Reasoning situation.
Cause = If women enter a certain profession
Effect = The profession slip in pay and status

Now if we can prove that there is another cause for this effect, we can refute the conclusion in the question.

Option A does that perfectly
Its says that: Accountants, lawyers, and physicians attained their current relatively high levels of income and prestige at about the same time that the pay and status of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries slipped.
This means that women entering the profession is not the reason for the slip in status or pay in the professions of teachers, bank tellers, and secretaries. The slipped happened due to some other factors which affected only these profession and didn't effect the other professions like Accountants, lawyers, and physicians. The option doesn't discriminate whether these professions were held by men or women. It could be that the supply of these profession was too high that led to decrease in status and pay of these professions.

Option E cannot be correct for a reason which isn't that logically but it does hold good in GMAT upto some extent. The GMAC would never make an answer which would be biased or show case the discrimination of women (specially downfall) in the current society. The words - " today are governed by significantly different economic and sociological forces" show a sense of discrimination and partiallity with respect to women and hence wouldn't stand a chance of being the correct answer!

I might be wrong in my explanation of Option E but Option A does get the credit as the perfect answer as per the CR rules :)

your explanation is satisfactory
thank you

kumar sanjay
http://sanjay80.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 5

Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS

I have one problem with OA as 'A' it was never said that in the option A women entered in both the accountants,etc., and teachers ,etc., profession at the same number

without that we can't assume that women entered in both types of profession

I still feel that OA is E.

I was disappointed to see OA as A as I can't relate the answer to it. but felt better when I saw posts which states that OA as E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

Re: In the past, teacher [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 08:10
please post the OA and source and if possible official explanation 8-)
Re: In the past, teacher   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2010, 08:10