Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 459
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2005, 20:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on imported oil. Siduria recently implemented a program to convert heating systems from oil to natural gas. Siduria already produces more natural gas each year than it burns, and oil production in Sidurian oil fields is increasing at a steady pace. If these trends in fuel production and usage continue, therefore, Sidurian reliance on foreign sources for fuel should decline soon.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. In Siduria the rate of fuel consumption is rising no more quickly than the rate of fuel production.
B. Domestic production of natural gas is rising faster than is domestic production of oil in Siduria.
C. No fuel other than natural gas is expected to be used as a replacement for oil in Siduria.
D. Buildings cannot be heated by solar energy rather than by oil or natural gas.
E. All new homes that are being built will have natural-gas-burning heating systems.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2004
Posts: 239
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2005, 20:50
A.

B. Domestic production of natural gas is rising faster than is domestic production of oil in Siduria.
C. No fuel other than natural gas is expected to be used as a replacement for oil in Siduria.
D. Buildings cannot be heated by solar energy rather than by oil or natural gas.
E. All new homes that are being built will have natural-gas-burning heating systems.

B,C, D,E cannot be assumed from the stem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 294
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2005, 21:49
B. It says Siduria will convert heating systems from oil to natural gas. Natural gas can replace oil only if it's production is more than that of oil.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1497
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2005, 22:02
agree with A. if the rate of fuel consumption is rising more quickly than the rate of fuel production, then Siduria's import of oil/fuel wont decline.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2005, 06:19
sonaketu wrote:
B. It says Siduria will convert heating systems from oil to natural gas. Natural gas can replace oil only if it's production is more than that of oil.


Hello, sonaketu,

The conclusion is whether Sidurian will rely on foreign sources or not.
Therefore, we don't need to care about which one produce more?

If oil > gas or gas < oil, it may need to import or may not. It depends on consumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 294
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 01:55
Hi,
I doubt A because they have asked, which is an assumption. And as I understand, assumption wouldnot be stated in the passage, however the following statement from passage says production > consumption.

Siduria already produces more natural gas each year than it burns, and oil production in Sidurian oil fields is increasing at a steady pace.

Then how can A be an assumption?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 05:36
I will go with E. I do not think it is 'A' becos A is stated in the passage
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2251
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Siduria OIL [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 07:46
Fact: the country imports oil heavily in the past
Fact: it is now switching some oil consumption to gas consumption
Fact: gas consumption currently is less than gas production
Fact: oil production is increasing at a steady pace
Conclusion: oil import will decline

Assumption, oil consumption will not increase more rapidly than oil production
The passage stated that oil production is increasing, and indicated some methods that the country adopted to curb the increase in oil consumption. However if oil consumption continues to increase rapidly even after switching the heating system, then the conclusion will not hold. In other words, the assumption is that after all is done the oil consumption will not increase as rapidly as the oil production.

B does not necessarily have to be true. Gas production rate has nothing to do with oil import. It may be true that gas consumption increases very slowly, or maybe the country needs to import natual gas, whatever, it doesn't say anything about oil imports.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 08:28
"E".

A, C, E are all kinda stated in the stem. If it is in the stem already, it can't be considered an assumption. However, "E" is not stated explicitly for new homes in the stem, it says program is to convert the exisiting ones. So I pick closest to an assumption is "E".
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2251
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 08:47
The oil imports can still decline if if not all homes are with natural gas heating systems. This is not an assumption that must be hold for the conclusion to be true.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 10:33
HongHu wrote:
The oil imports can still decline if if not all homes are with natural gas heating systems. This is not an assumption that must be hold for the conclusion to be true.


If these trends in fuel production and usage continue, therefore, Sidurian reliance on foreign sources for fuel should decline soon.

Hong, stem clearly says that "if" this trend of usage continues, then oil imports will decline, which is what "A" is saying. "A" can't be an assumption as author clearly states it as a "condition", he is already aware of this condition. I think assumptions can't be already stated by the author in the stem.

Do we have the OA yet ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Siduria OIL [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 12:07
DLMD wrote:
In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on imported oil. Siduria recently implemented a program to convert heating systems from oil to natural gas. Siduria already produces more natural gas each year than it burns, and oil production in Sidurian oil fields is increasing at a steady pace. If these trends in fuel production and usage continue, therefore, Sidurian reliance on foreign sources for fuel should decline soon.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. In Siduria the rate of fuel consumption is rising no more quickly than the rate of fuel production.
B. Domestic production of natural gas is rising faster than is domestic production of oil in Siduria.
C. No fuel other than natural gas is expected to be used as a replacement for oil in Siduria.
D. Buildings cannot be heated by solar energy rather than by oil or natural gas.
E. All new homes that are being built will have natural-gas-burning heating systems.


B: it does not matter even if natural gas production is faster than oil production. What matters is increase in rate of natural gas consumption and rate of oil consumption in comparison to rate of production. Hence even if it is stated that Domestic production of natural gas is rising slower than that of oil, it makes no difference to the conclusion.

C: Could be a possibility. Conclusion states that "Sidurian reliance on foreign sources for fuel" should decline soon. Howver if another replacement is expected to be used (negating the assumption) then it is possible that this still has to be imported. However, this statement goes out of context of the passage which mainly talks about natural gas and oil and gives no information about other fuel. Hence C is wrong.

D: Is again out of context as stem does not mention solar energy.

E: This reinforces one of the evidences about Sidurians changing to natural gas. However it does nothing to lead to the conclusion.

Hence the correct answer is A. IF we negate this statement, this will state that rate of consumption is more than rate of production. In order to meet the consumption, Siduria will have to import fuel. Hence the conclusion can be made only if this assumption is true.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2251
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 15:22
banerjeea_98 wrote:
Hong, stem clearly says that "if" this trend of usage continues, then oil imports will decline, which is what "A" is saying. "A" can't be an assumption as author clearly states it as a "condition", he is already aware of this condition. I think assumptions can't be already stated by the author in the stem.

Do we have the OA yet ?


The trends refer to the ones he specifically mentioned, but there could be other factors not mentioned that may or may not increase the oil consumption faster?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 459
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 16:19
the OA is A.

I think it's pretty obvious to see in order to have less import, there must be surplus, which means production > consumption, so A is the answer.

to me, I think C is really close, I almost chose C, but I realize even there are other substitue for oil other than gas, it has nothing to do with import/export.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 17:15
HongHu wrote:
banerjeea_98 wrote:
Hong, stem clearly says that "if" this trend of usage continues, then oil imports will decline, which is what "A" is saying. "A" can't be an assumption as author clearly states it as a "condition", he is already aware of this condition. I think assumptions can't be already stated by the author in the stem.

Do we have the OA yet ?


The trends refer to the ones he specifically mentioned, but there could be other factors not mentioned that may or may not increase the oil consumption faster?


Trends clearly talks abt trend in fuel consumption and fuel production, author himself is saying that the trend of fuel consumption and production has to remain the same in the future for his conclusion to be valid i.e. consumption can't suddenly increase or production can't suddenly decrease. He is saying that explicitly and not assuming anything here, I am not convinced with the OA, wud be nice to know the source though.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2251
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 19:31
No, he said if "these" trends continue to be the same, refering to the ones that he talked about. He was assuming other things will be unchanged.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 294
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 23:14
I agree that if we negate A, the argument falls apart. But, my understanding of assumption is something that is not explicitly stated in the passage. I got this understanding from the BF questions.

Is this concept only specific to BF kind of questions?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2005, 09:26
sonaketu wrote:
I agree that if we negate A, the argument falls apart. But, my understanding of assumption is something that is not explicitly stated in the passage. I got this understanding from the BF questions.

Is this concept only specific to BF kind of questions?


Assumptions are never part of the pasage, if it is mentioned in the argument then it is not an assumption, it will be premise.
I am with you on this. I do not follow this question.
  [#permalink] 08 Feb 2005, 09:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
17 In the past the country of Malvernia has relied heavily on metallicafan 11 26 Oct 2010, 07:51
6 In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on bsv180985 19 08 Dec 2009, 10:27
In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on ramiy 10 01 Aug 2009, 11:49
In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on adub35 4 14 Jun 2007, 15:27
Q4: In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on jet1445 5 08 Jun 2007, 08:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the past the country of Siduria has relied heavily on

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.