Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past two years, the effects of the worldwide economic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

In the past two years, the effects of the worldwide economic [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 20:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:22) correct 36% (02:01) wrong based on 211 sessions
In the past two years, the effects of the worldwide economic downturn have been felt in all corners of the economy. For example, data from the Crescent City furniture industry show that sales have decreased 12% compared to two years ago. Yet the banks who provide working capital to the furniture retailers report that, in the first year of the downturn, the proportion of credit they provided to the retailers that was repaid on time dropped sharply, while in the second year it returned to normal levels.
Question
Which one of the following, if true, most helps to explain the change in credit repayment reported?

A)The total dollar amount of the loans decreased slightly between the first year and the second.
B)New restrictions on the banking industry instituted since the economic downturn began have limited the number of loans banks can make to troubled borrowers.
C)The largest furniture chain in Crescent City slashed prices in the second year in order to stimulate sales.
D)Almost all of the most financially troubled furniture retailers went out of business at the end of the first year of the economic downturn.
E)Between the first and second years of the recession, wholesalers were forced to significantly raise the prices they charged to retailers.

Source: Grockit
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 20

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 14:10
my answer was C. Not sure how the OA is D. if retailers went out of business at the end of the 1st year, how did they repay in 2nd year...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 14:28
i had to choose between b and d. finally went for b because that was similar to the reason i had thought of before reading the answer choices.

from the question: Sales went down. Loan defaults went up the 1st year but was normal the 2nd year.

Possible reason: banks were more careful in lending money and lent to only clients who could pay back for sure.

while D might also be a possible reason, B sounds more sufficiently convincing to me. IMO, all financially troubled retailers need not go out of business for default rates to go down. It is sufficient that such retailer are not lent any money for default rates to be normal.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 10:44
I chose D. Since the most troubled retailers went out of business after 1st year, the remaining retailers had greater market, which in turn results in a better business for them. That is the only way they could pay in 2nd year, IMO.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 13:13
The stimulus mentions that the effects of the downturn have been felt in "all corners" of the economy.

So -- D -- I'm not entirely convinced.

D would have been OK if not for the opening sentence.

B seems right --- because if the banks now only gave loans to "proper" businesses -- there is a much better chance of getting proper payments....
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 2

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 01:21
This post received
KUDOS
From my understanding the restrictions instituted since the economic downturn began i.e they are applicable for both years. Hence we can eliminate B
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.53
WE: Other (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 08:29
I was hesitated between B and D, and finally chose B.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 11:28
toughmat wrote:
From my understanding the restrictions instituted since the economic downturn began i.e they are applicable for both years. Hence we can eliminate B

I agree, that was the tricky part of the question. The restrictions wouldn't explain why they weren't able to pay the first year.

The answer is D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 21:30
+1 D

I had done a similar question before with almost the same answer choices, so this one was easy for me. Also this question is tagged as "must be true", but I think it is a "resolve a paradox" type of question. The correct answer choices of "must be true" questions cannot bring in new information and are in most of the cases a simple paraphrase of one or more of the premises themselves.

Paradox in the Argument: Proportion of loan repaid dropped sharply in the first year, but returned to normal levels in the second year.

Correct answer choice will resolve the paradox by explaining the "but" in the argument.

guygmat wrote:

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to explain the change in credit repayment reported?

A)The total dollar amount of the loans decreased slightly between the first year and the second.
irrelevant-doesn't explain why the proportion of loans repaid returned to normal levels, total amount of loans may have dropped and the proportion of loans returned may still have remained the same.

B)New restrictions on the banking industry instituted since the economic downturn began have limited the number of loans banks can make to troubled borrowers.
if you followed why Option A is wrong, this option can easily be seen as irrelevant, and because of the same reasons. Even if the total amount of loans dropped, the proportion of loans repaid could remain the same. An increase or decrease in number doesn't guarantee a similar increase or decrease in proportion (or percentage). If, however, this option stated that banks are diverting loans from troubled retailers to well-off retailers, then this option might have been a contender.

C)The largest furniture chain in Crescent City slashed prices in the second year in order to stimulate sales.
out of scope, we are talking about all furniture retailers, not just one or the biggest player. Also we do not know whether the stimulated sales were sufficient to repay the loans

D)Almost all of the most financially troubled furniture retailers went out of business at the end of the first year of the economic downturn.
correct, if most of the troubled retailers who had difficulty in repaying loans went out of business at the end of the first year, in the second year only those those retailers remained who could repay the loans, thus increasing the proportion of loans repaid and explaining the paradox

E)Between the first and second years of the recession, wholesalers were forced to significantly raise the prices they charged to retailers.
irrelevant, we are concerned about retailers and not wholesalers. And also if this option were true, retailers would be left more troubled by the rise in prices, thus making the paradox more grave.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 21:33
yup, an easy point I missed out. Eliminates B straightforward. Kudos to you for reminding me about this type of wrong answer choice :wink: .

toughmat wrote:

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 01:44
IMO D as this clears the

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 09:55
+1 for D...although my answer was E......but D wins

Aim 720+

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 04:27
This is a strengthen question !!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 17:46
I'm not convinced with D. But of all the given choices D seems correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 10:47
doubting btw b and d
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 11:27
Izvos wrote:
doubting btw b and d

definately D

but this does not explain why 1st year has more number of defaulters and how suddenly for the second yr the number decreased.
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 12:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
diffcult ques

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 22:15
+1 for D.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: In the past two years, the effects of the worldwide economic [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 22:07
D it is.
If the financially struggling furniture retailers were in business in the first year then the payments will be late to the bank and if they are out of business in the second year and the remaining furniture retailers who are not struggling financially will pay on time that will result in the turnaround in the bank report.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the past two years, the effects of the worldwide economic [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 03:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the past two years, the effects of the worldwide economic   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2014, 03:48