Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 16:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 14:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (03:19) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 8 sessions
In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people killed by alligators in Florida. During this same time, there has been an increase in the development of new houses, golf courses, and shopping areas in former wilderness areas within the state. Therefore, the increase in fatal alligator attacks must have been caused by the increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the explanation above?

Two years ago, a government initiative to reduce the alligator population size by destroying alligator eggs ended.

An increase in fatal alligator attacks tends to make people more cautious around lakes, ponds, swamps and canals.

The number of people killed by snake bites, spider bites and scorpion stings in Florida has held steady for many years.

Many of the new state residents have moved to newly constructed areas near water that is suitable for habitation by alligators.

The undeveloped areas of Florida have decreased in area by 5% in the past year.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
IMO C.
Wildrness holds Snakes, Spiders, and Scorpions in addtion to alligator. If attacks from alligator is rising then attacks from these animals should rise proportionately. But as C says, attacks from this animals not rising. So weakens the case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 14:46
POE gives me C. IMO C

All others A, B, D, E strengthen the conclusion. However, I have no good explanation why C might be correct.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 14:54
i would say A for this one actually; we have to attack the conclusion that more attacks have been due to people moving into alligators habitat. To me, I interpreted A as saying that if the eggs are no longer destroyed, you could have an increased population, which thereby could result in the increase in number of attacks
Director
Director

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 15:06
Since you 2 are gmat heavyweights, I will just go ahead and give the OA, it is A.

C is not correct because Spiders, and Scorpions attacks are usually not FATAL, and snake bites are fatal, but only when go untreated. Whereas attacks by grown alligators are usually fatal (if you can't escape).

This is where MGMAT messed up. They gave A as the OA, but it can't be true either, because we all know that 2 years old alligator can't fatally injury people, not even babies, because their jaws are not big/strong enough to kill a baby, let alone toddlers or grown up. The babies can die from unmonitored bleeding, but how likely is that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 15:13
gmatnub wrote:
Since you 2 are gmat heavyweights, I will just go ahead and give the OA, it is A.

C is not correct because Spiders, and Scorpions attacks are usually not FATAL, and snake bites are fatal, but only when go untreated. Whereas attacks by grown alligators are usually fatal (if you can't escape).

This is where MGMAT messed up. They gave A as the OA, but it can't be true either, because we all know that 2 years old alligator can't fatally injury people, not even babies, because their jaws are not big/strong enough to kill a baby, let alone toddlers or grown up. The babies can die from unmonitored bleeding, but how likely is that?

I understand your explanation, however, maybe the Q is structured worng and is debateable. Normally in CR you cannot bring too extreme external assumptions into play.

Thanks.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 15:22
i went for A as well..

A gives an alternative reason..maybe now that eggs are not being destroyed there are more alligators thus more attacks..
Director
Director

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 15:27
x97agarwal wrote:
gmatnub wrote:

I understand your explanation, however, maybe the Q is structured worng and is debateable. Normally in CR you cannot bring too extreme external assumptions into play.

Thanks.

That is my point, 2 years old alligators can not kill people. All that will happen in A is that you would have a bunch of yearling alligators around, which are harmless to people, or at least can not deal fatal attacks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2008, 12:47
A is best among all the ans. choices
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 19:29
x97agarwal wrote:
POE gives me C. IMO C

All others A, B, D, E strengthen the conclusion. However, I have no good explanation why C might be correct.
Guys, how does E strengthen the argument?
If the undeveloped areas of Florida decreases in area by 5% in the past year, then alligator population should also decrease. And so will decrease their attacks. Shouldn't it be so?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 33

Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 15:15
joshnsit wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:
POE gives me C. IMO C

If the undeveloped areas of Florida decreases in area by 5% in the past year, then alligator population should also decrease. And so will decrease their attacks. Shouldn't it be so?

Hi Joshnsit - I think that your flow of reasoning is somehow compelling, but the most importnat thing in a weaken question is to focus on conclusion. The conclusion for this argument states that the increase in alligator attacks is caused by humans living in the animal's habitat. Therefore, I suppose that a decrease in undeveloped areas means more humans living in the animal's habitat.

I hope it helps,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: CR: fatal alligator attacks [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 03:08
nechets wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:
POE gives me C. IMO C

Hi Joshnsit - I think that your flow of reasoning is somehow compelling, but the most importnat thing in a weaken question is to focus on conclusion. The conclusion for this argument states that the increase in alligator attacks is caused by humans living in the animal's habitat. Therefore, I suppose that a decrease in undeveloped areas means more humans living in the animal's habitat.

I hope it helps,
nechets, I understand where you are coming from.
X= increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat.
Y = increase in fatal alligator attacks
The causality conclusion says: X ---Causes---> Y -----------(1)

If any another Cause X causes Y, then as per alternate causation theory, conclusion weakens.
Choice A says "a government initiative" ----Causes---->Y. Therefore it weakens causality conclusion in (1)
I agree with it. It completely fits the bill.

Another ways to weaken causality, as per CR Bible, are :
1) Prove that X happen when Y dont happen
2) Prove that Y happen when X dont happen
3) Prove that Y is causing X
4) Prove that there is some statistical issues

Now, Choice E says "Decrease in alligator attacks" is happening. This should weaken Y. In a weaken question, one has a right to attack premises(Y to be specific), and I tried doing that. This is an MGMAT problem and I am getting so many dubious/detracting choices which are hard to eliminate as per CR rules.

But what I am more concerned is that this choice has been told as a strengthener in their analysis and it is opposite of what was deciphered by me. So, any ideas in what sense can E become a strengthener.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [2] , given: 47

Re: In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
CONCLUSION- increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat-----LEADS TO ----- increase in fatal alligator attacks.

"A" correctly brings out [b]--------INCREASE IN NUMBER OF ALLIGATORS --- leads to------ INCREASE IN FATAL ALLIGATOR ATTACKS...[/b]

" E" just mentions what is already in the premise.....We know that human habitat is extending to undeveloped areas...ONLY a 5% factor has been added........ How can merely repeating a premise strengthen or weaken an argument ? " E" , therefore , makes no difference...................

kudos if you please.......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 05:25
semwal wrote:
CONCLUSION- increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat-----LEADS TO ----- increase in fatal alligator attacks.

"A" correctly brings out [b]--------INCREASE IN NUMBER OF ALLIGATORS --- leads to------ INCREASE IN FATAL ALLIGATOR ATTACKS...[/b]

" E" just mentions what is already in the premise.....We know that human habitat is extending to undeveloped areas...ONLY a 5% factor has been added........ How can merely repeating a premise strengthen or weaken an argument ? " E" , therefore , makes no difference...................

kudos if you please.......
semwal ji, You rock.. Your statement about E finally dawned enlightenment on troublesome me on this question. E actually supports the fact X(increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat). And I think this is what MGMAT suggests when they say E as supporter.
X= increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat.
Y = increase in fatal alligator attacks
The causality conclusion says: X ---Causes---> Y -----------(1)

Still, I didn't like the choice E as E supports premise X and destroys premise Y(because it indicate reduction in number of alligators in another sense) at the same time. But, I agree that causal conclusion weakener choice A is way better than E.

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 47

Re: In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 05:41
DEAR JOSHNSIT,

The only issue with "A" is that we have to extend our imagination.... since destruction of eggs has ended.... more baby alligators MAY be taking birth.... this MAY be leading to extended population which MAY be leading to more fatal attacks on humans.....
however, increasing population may be leading to extension in inhabited areas.... and this itself, in first place, could have been the reason for destruction of eggs which has been stopped now.....therefore, this is a strong option....

kudos if you please......
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2014, 19:41
A for me too.

I think B&D strengthen and C&E are out of scope
Re: In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2014, 19:41