Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:09) correct 40% (01:05) wrong based on 317 sessions
In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which quadrant, if any, contains no point ( x, y ) that satisfies the inequality 2x-3y≤−6? (the quadrants are the standard quadrants in a co-ordinate system, I can't really draw it out here)

A. None
B. Ι
C. ΙI
D. ΙII
E. IV
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3360

Kudos [?]: 24350 [5] , given: 2677

Re: GMAT Paper test - Test Code 14 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
loki wrote:
1. In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which quadrant, if any, contains no point ( x, y ) that satisfies the inequality 2x-3y≤−6? (the quadrants are the standard quadrants in a co-ordinate system, I can't really draw it out here)
(A) None
(B) Ι
(C) ΙI
(D) ΙII
(E) IV

Please explain your answer. I will post the OA soon.

{2x-3y}\leq{-6} --> y\geq{\frac{2}{3}x+2. Thi inequality represents ALL points, the area, above the line y={\frac{2}{3}x+2. If you draw this line you'll see that the mentioned area is "above" IV quadrant, does not contains any point of this quadrant.

Else you can notice that if x is positive, y can not be negative to satisfy the inequality y\geq{\frac{2}{3}x+2, so you can not have positive x, negative y. But IV quadrant consists of such (x,y) points for which x is positive and y negative. Thus answer must be E.

Answer: E.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Paper test - Test Code 14 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 12:52
Bunuel wrote:
loki wrote:
1. In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which quadrant, if any, contains no point ( x, y ) that satisfies the inequality 2x-3y≤−6? (the quadrants are the standard quadrants in a co-ordinate system, I can't really draw it out here)
(A) None
(B) Ι
(C) ΙI
(D) ΙII
(E) IV

{2x-3y}\leq{-6} --> y\geq{\frac{2}{3}x+2. Thi inequality represents ALL points, the area, above the line y={\frac{2}{3}x+2. If you draw this line you'll see that the mentioned area is "above" IV quadrant, does not contains any point of this quadrant.

Else you can notice that if x is positive, y can not be negative to satisfy the inequality y\geq{\frac{2}{3}x+2, so you can not have positive x, negative y. But IV quadrant consists of such (x,y) points for which x is positive and y negative. Thus answer must be E.

Answer: E.

Thats great! I understand it now. I always seem to have problems with co-ordinate geometry. The official answer is E.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Paper test - Test Code 14 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 21:24
loki wrote:
(A) None
(B) Ι
(C) ΙI
(D) ΙII
(E) IV

Let us represent the equation in the intercept form: x/a + y/b = 1
x/(-3) + y/(2) >= 1
Now plot these intercepts on the chart and you will find that the quadrant not being touched is IV.
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 71 [5] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Paper test - Test Code 14 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here's my approach, which i think is easiest.

Draw the equation line by determining to points, the easiest points are (0,y) and (x,0). Those points are (-3,0) and (0,2). Draw the line through the 2 points. Now pick one point and see if the inequality should be shaded to the left or to the right. I picked (-3,0), the inequality states that x<=-3, so shade to the left. you'll clearly see that the only quadrant that has no shading is IV.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Paper test - Test Code 14 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 15:38
loki wrote:
(A) None
(B) Ι
(C) ΙI
(D) ΙII
(E) IV

Hello can someone please tell me whats wrong with this approach ?

y >= -2/3 x + 6

Thus slope is negative

lets find x-intercept ... substitute y=0 we get , x <= 9 . To find y-intercept substitute x=0, we get y >=6

Thus it should be 3rd quadrant... but this is wrong ...
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rectangular Coordinate System [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 03:02
This post received
KUDOS
enigma123 wrote:
In a rectangular coordinat system which quadrant, if any, contains no point (x,y) that satifies the inequality
2x - 3y <= -6?

A) None
B) 1st
C) 2nd
D)3rd
E) 4th

How to solve this guys any idea?

2x - 3y <= -6
=> -2x + 3y >= 6 ---- (1)

equate the both sides of the inequality:
-2x + 3y = 6
=>x/(-3) + y/2 = 1

comparing with
x/a + y/b = 1
x intercept is -3 and y intercept is 2
ie the line passes thru (-3,0) and (0,2)

This line obviously passes through the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quadrant
and going back to the original inequality (1)
we understand the points that satisfy this inequality would be above this line which means there is no chance that any of these points would lie in quadrant 4.
So the ans is E

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 01:14
This post received
KUDOS
loki wrote:
In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which quadrant, if any, contains no point ( x, y ) that satisfies the inequality 2x-3y≤−6? (the quadrants are the standard quadrants in a co-ordinate system, I can't really draw it out here)

A. None
B. Ι
C. ΙI
D. ΙII
E. IV

Try I: 2(1) - 3(10) = -28 Yes!
Try II: 2(-10) - 3(1) = -17 Yes!
Try III: 2(-10) - 3(-1) = -17 Yes!
Try IV: Since y is negative and x is positive... 2x will always be positive and -3y will always be positive = No!

Answer: E

Impossible is nothing to God.

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3360

Kudos [?]: 24350 [0], given: 2677

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 22:45
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 131

Kudos [?]: 841 [5] , given: 817

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 23:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

2x-3y≤−6 --------> 3y ≥ 2x + 6

Let convert this in to an equation 3y = 2x + 6 ------> y = \frac{2x}{3} + 2

We know that equation of any line is y = mx + c ------where m = slope and C = y intercept

So in our case slope = \frac{2}{3} and Y intercept = 2

With above values following line can be drawn

We can notice that in the original inequality 3y≥ 2x + 6 as the value of Y will go up, the corresponding value of X will also go up to satisfy the inequality and hence the line drawn above will also continue to incline in the same direction in 1st quadrant.
We can deduce that this line will never pass thru IV quadrant. Hence Choice E is the answer.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 08:34
loki wrote:

A. None
B. Ι
C. ΙI
D. ΙII
E. IV

I'm not sure if this is the right approach but the way i did it was:

2x-3y≤−6, so 2x-3y≤0 so it the subtraction of both HAS to be negative.
Therefore, the only way for this to NOT happen is if 2x>0 and -3y<0 because then both will be positive and it is impossible to have a negative number as a result.

Hence (E)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT 2: Q V0
GRE 1: 327 Q161 V166
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 114

GMAT ToolKit User
In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2014, 03:54
kostyan5 wrote:
Here's my approach, which i think is easiest.

Draw the equation line by determining to points, the easiest points are (0,y) and (x,0). Those points are (-3,0) and (0,2). Draw the line through the 2 points. Now pick one point and see if the inequality should be shaded to the left or to the right. I picked (-3,0), the inequality states that x<=-3, so shade to the left. you'll clearly see that the only quadrant that has no shading is IV.

This is a perfect approach for this kind of problems. I'd just fine tune this method by ALWAYS picking (0,0) to see if the inequality lies to the left or the right side of the line. I think this will create the most efficient method for such problems.

Please consider giving 'kudos' if you like my post and want to thank :)

Read about my journey to 750 here - a-non-native-speakers-journey-to-99-le-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2014, 08:48
Given Inequality : 2x-3y≤−6

we can rewrite it as 3y ≥ 2x + 6 => y ≥ (2/3)x + 2 . Now from the line equation y = mx + c , where m is slope of the line and C is the intercept of the line we can deduce m= 2/3 => Positive slope. Also from line equation (x/a) + (y/b) = 1 , where a and b are x and y intercepts respectively, we can deduce "a = -3" and "b=2" .

Hence, if you draw the line in coordinate plane we can observe it as passing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd quadrants.

The inequality mentioned will be satisfied for all the points on the line and above it, which means atleast one point from 1st , 2nd and 3rd coordinate satisy this inequality. The only (x,y) pairs which do not satisy are points in the 4th quadrant.

Therefore, answer is 4th quadrant => Choice [E]
In the rectangular coordinate system shown above, which   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2014, 08:48