Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the remote western province of China, the prevailing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 09:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:41) correct 28% (00:44) wrong based on 85 sessions
In the remote western province of China, the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles, which are a staple in the region, rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.

(A) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had
(C) had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners
(D) had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(E) raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 10:19
I'll go with A on this one.

B is wrong b/c "prompts allegations" is in the incorrect tense.
E is wrong b/c "raised" is not correct.

I think the verb "rose" is the simple past tense and the "had colluded" is supposed to be the past perfect. The "had colluded" indicates that this action of fixing prices occurred before the prices actually rose. So A fits the bill.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 12:11
skim wrote:
In the remote western province of China, the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles, which are a staple in the region, rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.

(A) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had
(C) had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners
(D) had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(E) raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

I'm always horrible with verb tenses, but I'm really not sure about this, but I hope I get a clearer view as I type this out.

So we have two events: a rise in prices (which occurred first), and allegations (which logically followed the rise in prices). So I guess according to the rules the earlier event would have to take the past perfect? So (C)... I guess?

On the other hand, we may interpret this as 3 different events: the collusion (which came first), followed by a rise in prices, which in turn prompted allegations. If that order must be expressed in the correct sequence through grammar, then perhaps (A) does the best job of this?

I'm really not sure. Is there an official explanation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 12:26
I believe C reverses the logical order of the actions.

In answer C you are saying the prices "had risen" because the owners "colluded." I may be wrong, but I think the past perfect "had + verb" is supposed to be linked to the action that occurred BEFORE.

So what I am saying is in answer A, you are saying the prices "rose" because the owners "had colluded." So in this case, the collusion happened before, so you use the past perfect, and the prices rose later, so you use the simple past.

I believe my reasoning is correct, but I may be wrong. What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 12:51
GMATaddict wrote:
skim wrote:

I'm always horrible with verb tenses, but I'm really not sure about this, but I hope I get a clearer view as I type this out.

So we have two events: a rise in prices (which occurred first), and allegations (which logically followed the rise in prices). So I guess according to the rules the earlier event would have to take the past perfect? So (C)... I guess?

On the other hand, we may interpret this as 3 different events: the collusion (which came first), followed by a rise in prices, which in turn prompted allegations. If that order must be expressed in the correct sequence through grammar, then perhaps (A) does the best job of this?

A simpler way to look at this.

....the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.

The primary verb 'rise' has to be in the past tense and the resulting/continuing clause should either be in continuous (prompting) or past (it prompted). Another part to look out for is the usage of 'that' .. 'that should always be qualified with past perfect verb ... in this case 'had colluded'.

Hope this helps

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 17:50
A is the best option.
Rose is simple past
Had colluded in past perfect
Manager
Manager

Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 18:23
GMATaddict wrote:
skim wrote:

Hi GMATaddict,

Precisely the case - I thought that the former scenario as demonstrated by you was the case in point. It could be the case that there are only two events - i.e. the rise in prices, and then the allegations. It turns out that there are indeed 3 different events, as exemplified in your latter scenario. Hence the OA is (A).

Regards,

skim
Manager
Manager

Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 18:25
topher wrote:
I believe C reverses the logical order of the actions.

In answer C you are saying the prices "had risen" because the owners "colluded." I may be wrong, but I think the past perfect "had + verb" is supposed to be linked to the action that occurred BEFORE.

So what I am saying is in answer A, you are saying the prices "rose" because the owners "had colluded." So in this case, the collusion happened before, so you use the past perfect, and the prices rose later, so you use the simple past.

I believe my reasoning is correct, but I may be wrong. What is the OA?

Hi topher,

Indeed, choice (C) reverses the order of the actions.

Regards,

skim
Manager
Manager

Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 18:29
Dear All,

Thanks for the engaging discussion. The official explanation is as follows:

There are three actions in the underlined portion of the sentence. The logical time line is that (1) the noodle shop owners (allegedly) colluded to fix their prices, so (2) the price of a bowl of noodles suddenly increased, causing (3) the allegations against the noodle shop owners. All three actions took place in the past. The original sentence uses the simple past “rose” to indicate that the second action took place in the past. The construction “rose…prompting allegations” correctly indicates the cause and effect relationship between the second and third actions. Finally, the use of the past perfect “had colluded” correctly indicates that the alleged collusion took place prior to the other two past actions.

(A) CORRECT. The original sentence avoids all of the errors in the other choices.

(B) The construction “rose…and prompts” fails to convey the cause and effect relationship between the price increase and the leveling of allegations against the noodle shop owners. Furthermore, the use of the present tense “prompts” is incorrect: according to the original sentence, the allegations have already been made.

(C) The use of the past perfect “had risen” and the simple past “colluded” reverses the time line of events, illogically suggesting that the prices increased before the noodle shop owners colluded to raise their prices.

(D) The use of the past perfect “had risen” with the past perfect “had colluded” illogically suggests that the price increase and the alleged collusion occurred simultaneously. Furthermore, when correctly using the past perfect tense, the sentence must also have some other action in the simple past tense; here there is no such simple past action.

(E) The verb “to rise” is an irregular verb. The simple past tense is not “raised,” but rather “rose.”

Regards,

skim
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 46

In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 11:43
(A)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had
(C)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners
(D)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(E)raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

Need explanation
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 18:43
mun23 wrote:
(A)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had
(C)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners
(D)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(E)raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

Need explanation

Nutshell: PRICE = SUBJECT; ROSE = MAIN VERB; TIME = OVERNIGHT.

C) and D) are out because of "had risen". Since time of action was mentioned "overnight", no need for past pefect.

B) - out because of tense sequence error. First it mentions past tense "rose" overnight; then it changes to simple tense "prompts"; additionally there should not be a comma before "and prompts" since this would be a list of two. Thirdly, there is no valid list for parallelism/comparison in the meaning of the sentence.
E) "raise" is not the correct verb used.

A) CORRECT: #1) correct verb tense "rose"; #2) the phrase "prompting. ..." gives a description to why prices rose.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Fisher '16 (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 20:30
mun23 wrote:

Need explanation

I`m confused with the clause "that noodle shop owners had" had is right here ?
allegation is accusing someone and the allegation event occurred after the price rice . Can someone explain ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 46

Re: In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 05:53
In option A "prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had" here i am confused with the use of had.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 85

Re: In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 06:24
mun23 wrote:
In option A "prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had" here i am confused with the use of had.

Hi mun23,

There are two actions performing in the past (the prevailing price rose ; noodle shop owners had colluded) but the second was done and finished before the first one and in this case, we use the past perfect (had colluded) to show that while we use simple past for the first.

Hope that helps !

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 06:58
mun23 wrote:

Hi
Lets look it like a normal event.
The shop owners colluded to raise the price of the noodle, finally they reached a common conclusion to raise the price from 27 to 31 cents.
So as you can see there are two events and both are related to each other.
Oldest event or former: They colluded
Latest event : Price raised
So since the events are related to each othr, hence the verbs must be presented in correct sequential manner. ie the former one must be preceded by past perfect ie had and later must use simple past.

Be very careful in identifying whetehr the verbs used are related to each other or not. If they aren't then use of past perfect for former will be considered wrong.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 70

Re: In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 19:19
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Re: In the remote western province of China, the prevailing   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2013, 19:19