Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [30]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink]
Kudos
mun23 wrote:
In the remote western province of China, the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles, which are a staple in the region, rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.
(A)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had
(C)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners
(D)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(E)raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

Need explanation

Nutshell: PRICE = SUBJECT; ROSE = MAIN VERB; TIME = OVERNIGHT.

C) and D) are out because of "had risen". Since time of action was mentioned "overnight", no need for past pefect.

B) - out because of tense sequence error. First it mentions past tense "rose" overnight; then it changes to simple tense "prompts"; additionally there should not be a comma before "and prompts" since this would be a list of two. Thirdly, there is no valid list for parallelism/comparison in the meaning of the sentence.
E) "raise" is not the correct verb used.

A) CORRECT: #1) correct verb tense "rose"; #2) the phrase "prompting. ..." gives a description to why prices rose.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
skim wrote:
In the remote western province of China, the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles, which are a staple in the region, rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.

(A) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had
(C) had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners
(D) had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(E) raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

Just imagine the sequence of events.!

The prices went up overnight. And allegations show that noodle shop owners colluded prior to the raise in the price.

We have 2 events. Shop owners colluded happened prior and then prices were raised. So the first action will take had and second one will be simple past tense.

C and D are gone.

E is incorrect because "raised" is not correct. Usage of "rose" is appropriate.

A) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had Creating False Parallelism. Besides, there is nothing that prompts can be parallel to.

A is correct!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Re: bowl of noodles [#permalink]
skim wrote:

(A) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B) rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had
(C) had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners
(D) had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(E) raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

I'm always horrible with verb tenses, but I'm really not sure about this, but I hope I get a clearer view as I type this out.

So we have two events: a rise in prices (which occurred first), and allegations (which logically followed the rise in prices). So I guess according to the rules the earlier event would have to take the past perfect? So (C)... I guess?

On the other hand, we may interpret this as 3 different events: the collusion (which came first), followed by a rise in prices, which in turn prompted allegations. If that order must be expressed in the correct sequence through grammar, then perhaps (A) does the best job of this?

I'm really not sure. Is there an official explanation?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
 Q49  V39
I believe C reverses the logical order of the actions.

In answer C you are saying the prices "had risen" because the owners "colluded." I may be wrong, but I think the past perfect "had + verb" is supposed to be linked to the action that occurred BEFORE.

So what I am saying is in answer A, you are saying the prices "rose" because the owners "had colluded." So in this case, the collusion happened before, so you use the past perfect, and the prices rose later, so you use the simple past.

I believe my reasoning is correct, but I may be wrong. What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
GMATaddict wrote:
skim wrote:

I'm always horrible with verb tenses, but I'm really not sure about this, but I hope I get a clearer view as I type this out.

So we have two events: a rise in prices (which occurred first), and allegations (which logically followed the rise in prices). So I guess according to the rules the earlier event would have to take the past perfect? So (C)... I guess?

On the other hand, we may interpret this as 3 different events: the collusion (which came first), followed by a rise in prices, which in turn prompted allegations. If that order must be expressed in the correct sequence through grammar, then perhaps (A) does the best job of this?

A simpler way to look at this.

....the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.

The primary verb 'rise' has to be in the past tense and the resulting/continuing clause should either be in continuous (prompting) or past (it prompted). Another part to look out for is the usage of 'that' .. 'that should always be qualified with past perfect verb ... in this case 'had colluded'.

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A is the best option.
Rose is simple past
Had colluded in past perfect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [0]
Send PM
GMATaddict wrote:
skim wrote:

Hi GMATaddict,

Precisely the case - I thought that the former scenario as demonstrated by you was the case in point. It could be the case that there are only two events - i.e. the rise in prices, and then the allegations. It turns out that there are indeed 3 different events, as exemplified in your latter scenario. Hence the OA is (A).

Regards,

skim
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [0]
Send PM
topher wrote:
I believe C reverses the logical order of the actions.

In answer C you are saying the prices "had risen" because the owners "colluded." I may be wrong, but I think the past perfect "had + verb" is supposed to be linked to the action that occurred BEFORE.

So what I am saying is in answer A, you are saying the prices "rose" because the owners "had colluded." So in this case, the collusion happened before, so you use the past perfect, and the prices rose later, so you use the simple past.

I believe my reasoning is correct, but I may be wrong. What is the OA?

Hi topher,

Indeed, choice (C) reverses the order of the actions.

Regards,

skim
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
In the remote western province of China, the prevailing [#permalink]
(A)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(B)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had
(C)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners
(D)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
(E)raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

Need explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
mun23 wrote:

Need explanation

I`m confused with the clause "that noodle shop owners had" had is right here ?
allegation is accusing someone and the allegation event occurred after the price rice . Can someone explain ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
In option A "prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had" here i am confused with the use of had.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
mun23 wrote:
In option A "prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had" here i am confused with the use of had.

Hi mun23,

There are two actions performing in the past (the prevailing price rose ; noodle shop owners had colluded) but the second was done and finished before the first one and in this case, we use the past perfect (had colluded) to show that while we use simple past for the first.

Hope that helps !
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
mun23 wrote:

Hi
Lets look it like a normal event.
The shop owners colluded to raise the price of the noodle, finally they reached a common conclusion to raise the price from 27 to 31 cents.
So as you can see there are two events and both are related to each other.
Oldest event or former: They colluded
Latest event : Price raised
So since the events are related to each othr, hence the verbs must be presented in correct sequential manner. ie the former one must be preceded by past perfect ie had and later must use simple past.

Be very careful in identifying whetehr the verbs used are related to each other or not. If they aren't then use of past perfect for former will be considered wrong.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Remove the fluff.

Notice that the original sentence uses the correct verb tense 'rose' Eliminate C,D and E

Between A and B, the answer choice B uses incorrect tense with 'prompts'.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
skim wrote:

A uses the correct tense of the verb "rise." The prices rose over night. Also we need a past perfect verb because what the sentence is implying that that the raising prices attracted skepticism that noodle shop owners had done something in the past prior to the raising of the prices.

A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
In the remote western province of China, the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles, which are a staple in
the region, rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.

The issue here under consideration is a double past event. One that the "prices rose” and other are the allegations that “shop owners colluded”. Double past is required of two reasons:
The events aren’t taking place at the same time.
The allegations provide us the evidence that the shop owners colluded earlier then the raise of price.
Hence D goes out.

A. rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had (shows cause and effect.) Correct

B. rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had

(“and” Changing the meaning of the sentence.) Which makes the sentence sounds as if there were two things with the prices of large bowl of noodles: 1. They rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight. 2. They prompt allegation that noodle shop owners had colluded.
Hence B goes out.

C. had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners

This confuses the sequence of events. Logical sequence of events is
Shop owners colluded.
Prices rose.
Allegations prompted.
Option C suggests that Prices rose first and then the shop owners colluded.

D. had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

The issue here under consideration is a double past event. One that the "prices rose” and other are the allegations that “shop owners colluded”. Double past is required of two reasons:
The events aren’t taking place at the same time.
The allegations provide us the evidence that the shop owners colluded earlier then the raise of price.
Hence D goes out.

E. raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

Raised in GMAT is used for 2 purposes 1. Raise a bet. 2. Salary
So E goes out.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts